RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:48:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Playstation Now 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Playstation Now  (Read 8021 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:41:56 PM »

A major announcement on the Gaikai front today from Sony. What does everyone think?

From: http://blog.us.playstatio...rvice-coming-this-summer/

Today, at CES 2014 in Las Vegas, we announced that PlayStation Now (PS Now), our new streaming game service, will be available in the US this summer. With PlayStation Now, you will be able to stream popular hits and classic games from the PS3 library, first on PS4 and PS3 systems, followed by PS Vita.
In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 US models of Sony’s BRAVIA TV lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing you to stream PlayStation games across a broad range of Internet-connected devices.
Leveraging Gaikai’s advanced cloud-based technology, PlayStation Now will allow you to:
Play video games instantly across multiple devices, similar to the way you might stream TV, movies, and music.
Stream full games to all of your compatible PlayStation devices including PS4, PS3, and PlayStation Vita as well as non-PlayStation devices, beginning with 2014 BRAVIA TV models and expanding to numerous other Internet-connected devices.
Always play the most updated version of your game. With games hosted in the cloud, you can take your game with you – just log in with your Sony Entertainment Network account on a compatible device and your games and saved progress will be easily available.
We want to offer you choice when it comes to how you want to access content on PS Now, so you will be able to rent by title for specific games you are interested in. We’ll also offer a subscription that will enable you to explore a range of titles.
PS Now will begin a Beta program in the US at the end of January with an expected full roll-out in the US this summer. Be sure to check the PlayStation.Blog regularly for more updates on the PS Now service.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:06:33 PM »

If I can rent a title and get trophies, I'd be interested. I'm curious what "rent" will mean though in terms of full functionality.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:17:21 PM »

"The Cloud" Cry

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:08:31 PM »

I completely understand that I am not the target audience, but it will be interesting to see how well it goes. Makes me wonder if PSN on PS4 will just never sell old titles, therefore forcing you to subscribe or rent them perpetually.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »

Oh look, the thing I said would be next for the gaming industry is happening.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »

I'm withholding judgement until "rent" is defined. So far I think is this is an idea that's good in theory, but might not be so hot once it's implemented.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Dergatron9000
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 02:19:44 PM »

I'm withholding judgement until "rent" is defined. So far I think is this is an idea that's good in theory, but might not be so hot once it's implemented.

This.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:34 PM »

replace "liberty" with collecting
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »

There's no where else the industry was going to go. This was about as easy to see coming as anything. I thought it might be a few more years before streaming games were prevalent, not sure everyone has fast enough bandwidth yet, but this should not be alarming or considered "bad."

I've said it many times in recent years, modern collecting in the manner that we used to collect is already dead. This doesn't mean you have to stop collecting the classics, but as far as current and future generations go, you can collect on a hard drive or just pay to access them from the cloud.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 08:13:44 PM »

The bad news: There will be an end to physical games.

The good news: That will make it possible to collect them all. The ultimate complete collection.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 10:20:23 AM »

Digital distribution is here to stay, or at least will be here to stay. It's just the sign of the times, and so much more financially efficient for developers and publishers.

I'm fine with $60 plus tax for a game case, manual, and game; but once digital distribution is in full swing I hope game prices drop. I mean, we'd be getting less "stuff" for the same price.

As for PlayStation Now, I'm really curious to see how it'll be implemented on non-Sony devices. Will we see a graphical compression to accommodate digital streaming?

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »

Digital distribution is here to stay, or at least will be here to stay. It's just the sign of the times, and so much more financially efficient for developers and publishers.

I'm fine with $60 plus tax for a game case, manual, and game; but once digital distribution is in full swing I hope game prices drop. I mean, we'd be getting less "stuff" for the same price.

As for PlayStation Now, I'm really curious to see how it'll be implemented on non-Sony devices. Will we see a graphical compression to accommodate digital streaming?

Well we can hope that Steam has established the way with digital distro. Alternatively, with streaming games, you may get a certain pack or bunch of games for a subscription cost a la netflix or Hulu+

Be really cool if they would just put up entire libraries of older systems.

We'll just have to see how they play it.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 09:26:23 PM »

There's no where else the industry was going to go. This was about as easy to see coming as anything. I thought it might be a few more years before streaming games were prevalent, not sure everyone has fast enough bandwidth yet, but this should not be alarming or considered "bad."

I've said it many times in recent years, modern collecting in the manner that we used to collect is already dead. This doesn't mean you have to stop collecting the classics, but as far as current and future generations go, you can collect on a hard drive or just pay to access them from the cloud.

i know Tongue i was just being funny, thought that clip fit the situation too perfectly. i'm already on the fence about the PS4 and XBOne, i might be at my cutoff point for new consoles, because i really just feel no motivation to get anymore modern systems, especially when i've played so few of the last generation's games overall.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:04:52 AM »

The bad news: There will be an end to physical games.

The good news: That will make it possible to collect them all. The ultimate complete collection.

The bad new: Correct
The good news: False.

This week alone over 10 digital games have been removed from microsoft marketplace(s), several from PSN/Steam/etc

Wallace and Gromit series making the bulk of those delistings. AFAIK they are only still available on GoG and since i believe they are in part of a bundle sale there they will probably be gone shortly unless that sale has ended and they are already gone.

Digital does not mean it is easier to own every game. In fact it will probably make it harder.
No more waiting for a sale. Want to make sure you get to own that game before it is delisted for poor sales/licensing issues/a company goes under/etc/etc better buy it day one regardless of price.

Want to hold out for a sale? Might never happen.
XBLA currently has ~70 games that have been delisted. Or about 10% of its "digital library"

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »

My guess is Duke meant it'll then be possible to someday own ever physical game ever created if there aren't going to be any more created.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length