RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:59:40 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | The small "Toy" scores thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51 Print
Author Topic: The small "Toy" scores thread  (Read 276247 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2014, 10:44:22 PM »

Not really a toy but toy related.  My grandmother (god rest her soul) had an estate sale and I saw this sucker buried under a bunch of cake pans in her garage.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2014, 11:06:53 PM »

It was about three months ago that I found them at a local thrift store, but your post reminded me about them.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2014, 03:47:45 AM »

Snagged this guy for $0.50 on half off day at a local thrift store.

Missing his glasses and a pipe, but for so cheap, I couldn't pass on this piece of toy history.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

Missing his glasses and a pipe, but for so cheap, I couldn't pass on this piece of toy history.

Those Mr. Potato Heads, have been ever evolving through the years. Is that an older one?

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »

My buddy got this puzzle from a garage sale last weekend and gave it to me:

Alas! Upon sitting down to do it, I discovered its missing one piece.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »

@EngineerMike: So it started in the 1950's as a box of body parts you would buy and shove into actual potatoes, shortly after being released, people were complaining about finding moldy potato heads all over their homes, so Hasbro went with plastic bodies. It was at that time released as a plastic potato head with a separate plastic body, both of which you could push the limbs into. Choking hazards forced them to again re-think the toy, leading to what you see here, which was released in the early 70's if I remember correctly. For the first time, it was released as a single potato with attachable parts. The pegs on the parts were measured to prevent choking, so the eyes were given super long pegs, and the other parts were increased in size overall.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »

Cool piece of history, Boshamp. Actual potatoes? very amusing. I never owned a Mr. Potato Head but had friends or other kids I knew who owned them.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »

This was the original, where you see Styrofoam in the box would be where you would use an actual potato during play. As you can see on the left, although it was marketed for use with potatoes since they were cheap and easy to obtain, you could use an onion, yam, or really any veggie sturdy enough to hold the pieces in place.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »

Those Mr. Potato Heads, have been ever evolving through the years. Is that an older one?

That was the kind I had as a toddler back in the late '70s. I apparently broke the pipe for it, which gave birth to a corny family in-joke that has endured to this day.

Speaking of kiddie stuff: calculators aren't the only Texas Instruments products I snap up at every opportunity:

At the top from left to right is the Touch & Tell and Computer Fun edjamacational doohickeys, both of which set me back a little under five bucks. I'll bet Duke.Togo is particularly jealous of my Computer Fun pickup...

Aaaand below is the Super Speak & Math School Edition that I snagged last week for three bucks.

I also l picked up a couple TI calculators, but since none of you care, I'll not bother you about them.

'Late
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:45 PM »

It's no TI-99/4a, but hell, what is?

@mumboking: Thanks for bringing that back to my attention. Now I am obliged to watch it around 10 more times.

GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #101 on: June 18, 2014, 11:17:18 AM »

Toys from a trade with Mr. Zagnorch!!

GO JOE!!! and Cowabunga!!

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »

It's no TI-99/4a [...]

No... it's better.

Though not as good as a Miracle Piano foot pedal. But fear not, I'm confident I'll stumble upon one sooner or later.

Toys from a trade with Mr. Zagnorch!!

GO JOE!!! and Cowabunga!!

Aw crap, I was wondering where my Slurpee tote bag went. Eh, it's not like I can't get another one I suppose.

Anyhoo: I took advantage of Toy R Us's Buy-One-Get-One-Half-Off sale on most of their Transformer stock and modestly expanded my magnificent menagerie of Optimoid entities.

One of my Optimoid Entities took a liking to the new guys immediately, and decided to Nupe out-- or should I say, Opt out Roll Eyes -- with his new little buddies:

SUPER KAWAII DESU HAPPY FUN TIME!!!
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

that's awesome Zag!  Looking forward to the new movie??

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »

SUPER KAWAII DESU HAPPY FUN TIME!!!
Wait a minute. Do I see... Optimus nipples?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 51 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length