RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:53:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Famicom Box games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Famicom Box games?  (Read 2674 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »

I'd like to add Famicom Box titles into the DB, but how should they be entered? My thought would be just to put Famicom Box in the variation title, but wanted to bounce that off others before digging in.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:42:12 AM »

Looked into it a bit it is pretty unique... (And super awesome looking IMO) I think it might actually qualify as its own console...

If my tiny bit of research is correct.
Games are not compatible with home console and it can't play home versions on the store console.
Unique lock out chip and few other hardware differences.

Seems like a cross between a kiosk/store display demo (in DB), and beta/proto (not in DB).

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »

I thought we had Famicom Box titles already in the DB? I know we've discussed this a long time ago.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »

I thought we had Famicom Box titles already in the DB? I know we've discussed this a long time ago.
We don't actually. They are compatible with a top loader NES (or front loader with the lockout chip disabled), but I'm not sure if they should be placed under the NES/Fami database or if we should create a separate console for them.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:55:14 PM by ApolloBoy » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »

I've got Makaimura and it does indeed play as ApolloBoy mentioned. It's really the same ROM to my knowledge, so I wouldn't think it should get a separate console. It just uses a different lockout chip, like the PAL A, PAL B, or US NES models.

I'm open to whatever solution you guys think is best.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:50:26 AM »

Well, the real question becomes... How do you categorize the FamicomBox and FamicomStation? They're essentially the same as the demo stations, which I don't see in the DB either (unless I'm just missing that).

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 05:33:13 PM »

I don't believe that the games for the US demo stations are any different, but Famicom Box cartridges certainly are. I'm sure we could add those demo units if they aren't there already as hardware variants.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:19:03 AM »

I would suggest treating the Famicom Box/Famicom Station games as a separate platform because the Super Famicom Box games would have to be listed as a separate platform.  The SFB served more or less the same purpose, and also used regular ROMs on custom carts, but said carts cannot be played on other hardware.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 09:04:44 PM »

Bump?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »

I'm trying to stay out of these types of decisions at the moment, since I'd like the staff themselves to drive these conversations rather than make an executive decision myself. Wink

Personally, if they require a different lockout chip, it means they were meant for different hardware than the retail hardware, so I'd lean towards separate console.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »

But the different lockout chips are no different than PAL A, PAL B, or US NES, and all those are listed as the same console.

If our variation system would work across consoles I'd be more on board with separate, but since it doesn't it makes it harder to see real variations.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »

But the different lockout chips are no different than PAL A, PAL B, or US NES, and all those are listed as the same console.

You sold me.
Sub them as Famicom games with Famicom Box as the variation title and maybe drop a little info in the game trivia unless you already own some and can throw up scans/pics.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:55 PM »

Will do. I own one, so I can submit an image on it.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 11:53:43 PM »

I'll do some more research to add others, but there are also FamicomStation releases. I'll try to add those via the same method.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length