RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:22:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | How did you discover RF Generation? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: How did you discover RF Generation?  (Read 16045 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »

You do realize how confusing it was to talk to both of you in PMs around similar submissions, RIGHT?! Tongue

I asked NES_Rules to promote a few of our blog writers for contributions on the front page, since we tend to be dull around here and don't update our front page too often on our own. You just happened to be in the group that I identified.  Grin  Speaking of which, I have some thoughts around this that I need to ask our staff members on...thanks for the reminder.

I loved your Atari reviews, which always had well thought out reviews, history, images, and gameplay videos (albeit not your own) involved. I typically ended up picking up the carts after seeing the reviews, which is how I ended up with ~300 cartridges.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 01:55:25 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 01:55:41 PM »

Oh yeah, Happy 10 Years RFGeneration:

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 01:57:36 PM »

I loved your Atari reviews, which always had well thought out reviews, history, images, and gameplay videos (albeit not your own) involved. I typically ended up picking up the carts after seeing the reviews, which is how I ended up with ~300 cartridges.

Ah shucks! And I thought no one was paying attention. When I find the time, I like to post them. I'll have to make it more of a habit.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »

Pure crazy dumb luck lead me to be (AFAIK though i would love for one of the other old timers to prove me wrong) the first person to actually register to the site. I believe the previous 44 had already been carried over or informed about it before/during the splinter from and then collapse of VGB.

Actually that sounds right to me.  There might have been one or two people that signed up before you, but you were the first non VGB member to actually make your presence known.

YAY I WAS FIRST!

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

Ah shucks! And I thought no one was paying attention. When I find the time, I like to post them. I'll have to make it more of a habit.

Check the Staff board...you'll see what I was hinting to.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »

Real life friends with St0rmTK421, TheEvilLeon, and Lord Nepenthean, also known as three of the founders.

Hello World.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

Were you on VGBible? I'm kinda curious who's left from that time.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »

First off, it's really interesting to read how everyone got here. It also makes me feel good about doing the show when we end up with great users here because of it.

I've never really been one to let go of games. Ever since my childhood, they have been a hobby I could count on to get away and enjoy myself, as well as a chance to make friends that enjoyed them as well. I've been a big NES fan since it came out, and would pick up games here and there when I saw them.

In 2002 I was diagnosed with a disease called Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. It's not common, and I won't go into the details, but they only thing to do when you have it is wait for cirrhosis to hit and then hope for transplant. At the time I was a single father with a 3 year-old daughter, and a lot to think about. Fast forward to early 2009, I was fortunate enough to have met and married my wonderful wife, and had a new daughter on the way. Unfortunately my health was moving in the wrong direction quickly. I became very ill in late February, and thankfully received a transplant on Feb. 28th.

During my recovery I wanted to focus more of my time doing things that were important to me. Time with family, getting back to work, and enjoying a trip back to my childhood. I decided to get more active in my game hunting and focus specifically on the NES. After a bit it was getting difficult to manage my collection well using a spreadsheet, and I needed a place to go. Like others I did some looking around and ran across RFG.

Mostly I lurked for a bit, but chimed in more and more. I've never been much of a writer, but I did a little blogging at first. I remember getting pretty excited when my review of Voyeur for the CD-i made it to the front page. After posting more and more eventually Crabby and I started messaging a bit and decided to hop on Skype to chat. After that we kept talking regularly, and just sort of decided to start recording as we did it.

I've made a lot of what I would consider to be great friends here. It might be the games that brings people in the beginning, but it's the community that makes people stay. Happy 10th to RFG, and I am looking forward to being a part of the next 10.

RetroExplorer
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »

I was looking for a way to organize the collection (still a work in progress) and I saw the community was pretty friendly. Although I'm not as active on forums as I used to be, I still prefer to post my finds here over other places. Smiley
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2014, 08:23:28 AM »

Ahh Duke. How can I negative Karma you after that Sad

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2014, 05:43:17 PM »

Ahh Duke. How can I negative Karma you after that Sad

[img width=552 height=656]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GVMTz6ImhG0/TzVx2rA7NmI/AAAAAAAAANo/mN0QmnWLCss/s1600/bring-it.jpg[/img]

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 01:24:08 AM »

I think it started when I started devoting a lot of time and money into collecting. I was online really just looking for a community that I can get help from, share my collection, and meet some good people. I looked at Segaage and others but for some reason something told me this  was the right place for me. I liked the format of the collection database. I also felt very welcome and the podcasts were awesome. So I don't really have an exciting story other than I wanted to find a great community and that is what I found here. I hope I can contribute in a larger way to this community in the future after Grad School which is quite soon.  Smiley

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:12 AM »

It's been about a year since I clicked a link for Ryudo's collection in his signature on Shenmue Dojo. Around the same time I was on a major buying spree. Snatching up stuff from every corner of the internet & a lot of sales threads! I jumped in head first and started tracking my games & submitting scans...questions were asked, podcasts were listened to & some good friends were made! I still want to meet all my fellow RFG homies some day! Shout out to all the staff here, our awesome CollectorCast hosts, everyone I've traded with and just everyone in general for making this an awesome place to be a part of. RFG FTW!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 10:17:15 AM »

I think I was googling rare games and looking for lists of "hidden gem" games, which brought me to Racketboy and I think I found RFGen through that site.
killerkobra
Memorex VIS
Canada

Stats
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »

I'm good buddies in real life with Krunch from Nintendoage. He told me about the collectorcast and said I really should listen. So I do and then found the forum through the show Smiley

Current Collection last Updated April 21th 2012
http://www.backloggery.com/killerkobra
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length