RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:12:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | How did you discover RF Generation? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: How did you discover RF Generation?  (Read 15944 times)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:12:05 PM »

After reading Bickman2k's "A Personal Thank-You" blog, I'm curious to know how other members found out about this place.

In my case, I was about 2 years into serious collecting, and my collecton had gotten to the point where I had some trouble keeping track of it all. I figured there might be a source on the internet to help me out, so I headed over to Google, typed "video game checklist" in the search field, and RF Generation was the very first result. Turned out, it would be the only result I'd need, and I've been hanging around here ever since.

So, what's your story?
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:32 PM »

Mine is the exact same story. Except with more trial and error because I used a few collection programs and sites first but they all had awful interface and weren't as detailed in their database.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »

I was looking for new podcasts to listen to and I had just gotten bitten by the collecting bug.  I went to Digital Press and found the podcast there.  At that point there were only 2 Collectorcast episodes and I blew through them immediately and learned most of what I know about collecting and the online community because of it.  Thank you Duke and Crabby!  (And later Bil, and to an even lesser extent Banana)

I checked out the RfGen website after downloading the episodes and never looked back.  It may not be the biggest community, but it's by far the most polite and friendliest group of folks around.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:17:25 PM »

I was in college and was looking for a good online database to post and preserve what all I had. My collection was all spread out at the time. My SNES, PS1, most of my PS2, and older handheld stuff was at my parents house, and I just had my newer DS games and some PS2 games I wanted to show off. I wanted to catalog everything I had after going on trips home, and finding some old PC games I had at my grandmother's house as well. I ended up working with VGCollect and IGN for a bit, but was unsatisfied.

The tools here at RFGeneration just felt more powerful as I could specify what boxes, manuals, and extras I had with my games. That was helpful since most of my childhood collection is CIB. I remember the old RFGeneration Nation podcast (http://rfgeneration.podomatic.com/) from my earlier days. My collection has swelled since then, probably influenced as much by the Small Scores as my own love of games. Most of my major gaming discoveries that changed my life happened before my time here though.

I think I started posting and blogging almost immediately after joining. After rechecking my first blog post (this ancient and badly designed piece right here: http://www.rfgeneration.c...ay-this-Volume-1-1752.php) I posted my first review here 2 days after joining the site. Now I'm closing in on 2k posts and am a living legend in my own ego!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »

I got here through a referral by JJ Hendricks, the founder of the Video Game Price Charting website. I (as many collectors) used the Price Charting tools and about a year prior to joining RF Generation I was a member of his site and used his sites forum (now defunct) to chat with other like minded collectors.

I remember on his site there was a forum topic asking what tools do you use to track your collection. RF Generation was mentioned by several members as a preferred site, so naturally I checked out this site first and instantly fell in love with it. Honestly I never checked out the other sites that were mentioned because this site has all the bells and whistles I need to track my collection. Just the fact that this was a user generated site was the hook that got me.

I really didn't dig into the forums on here instantly, mostly just lurked and simply used this site for tracking. But the more I lurked the more I became interested in chatting with the great members of this site. I feel like RF Generation is a tight knit community in a small town where I really got to know what each and every member likes and dislikes, which makes trading games and systems a cakewalk.

I may have simply "Judged a book by it's cover" when I saw this site, but it was a cover worth opening.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 01:00:37 AM »

I honestly cannot remember, but I would assume it would have been a simple google search for something like "Video Game Collections" or "Video Game List". I found the site as I was focusing my collecting on Gamecube titles.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 05:07:28 AM »

I heard about the Collectorcast when it was mentioned on the Racketboy podcast.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »

Another member and collector from my hometown, Deviant, recommended it to me several years ago.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »

I was initially involved on Digital Press's forums for about 2 years. When trying to discuss details about some of my games (which I later came to be known as 'variations'), most of the people there had no clue what the hell I was talking about. Nebrazca, one of the SegaAge folks, was kind enough to answer most of my questions and let me know that the folks at RFGeneration kept track of that information and had a collection tool to boot (instead of my huge 3" binder that I carried around with highlighted games and rarities, which I still have in a closet).

After the Digital Press forums went down for an extended period of time, I decided to devote my time to updating my collection on RFGeneration. After causing a schism in the staff about variations, I found out that I enjoyed contributing to the database and had found new friends that shared my enthusiasm (or, in Tynstar's case, curbed my enthusiasm a bit). Even though it'll be close to 5 years come June, I still contribute to the database daily as my stress relief activity - who would've thought that?!

Good topic, sir.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:37:22 AM »

It has been almost 10 years since I joined. I had just started collecting and was looking for a list of all the Genesis games made. I started on DP posted there for some time. I wanted to help but couldn't break into the core group of DP at the time. I used IGN's collection tool but it sucked. So I started to post about stuff needing to be add to this site. Been here ever since. While I wish more people that use the collection tool would post in the forums I am somewhat glad they don't since I have seen what happens to sites when a lot of people post. All the people on the site now are good people...except Zagnorch.........jk

Here is to 10 more years.  drunk drunk drunk drunk

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

I started off way back in the before time over on the old Video Game Bible site which I found when I was looking for some kind of video game price guide.  That had to have been late 2002/early 2003.  When RF Generation started I was one of the first few people that joined up and I've been around ever since.  Granted I lurk more than I post these days, but kids and work wear me out.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:25 PM »

i can't remember for sure but i think i was one of those who was brought here from a google search. i was somewhere around 100-150 games in my collection and felt the need to track them all. at first i was using excel which worked fine, but i wanted to find something easier than manually typing out everything, and something i could maybe access on the go. i don't remember how fast i came across rfgeneration but it was the only one i actually tried. it was exactly what i was looking for and i loved that i could edit the database myself if i saw mistakes. this would have been approximately 4 years ago, and i think i started collecting about a year before that.
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:09 PM »

GrayGhost recommended RFGen to me late last year after doing a couple of trades through the now defunct VGFive.

I checked it out a couple of times but wasn't really interested in joining an internet forum.  I think it was the community playthroughs that eventually piqued my interest (big surprise, right?), so I signed up.  The collection tools were a nice bonus since I probably had about 800 or so games in my collection at the time.  I had been toying around with the idea or writing my own collection software/app to help me keep track of it all, but RFGen gets the job done nicely.

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »

I used to track my collection on IGN way back when and they decided that was no longer important to them so I went searching. I wasn't as much of a collector back then but it certainly spiraled out of control since then. I think I found a forum somewhere that pointed me here. Nearly 3 years later here I am.

raffa1985
DB Contributor
Brazil

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »

By doing a Google search for video games list/collection site. One thing that really hooked me up here is that we could specify more precisely the type of releases, whether by region, packing and label variation, or even where it was manufactured. That's really cool! It's something i couldn't do when i tried to catalog my games on IGN or gamefaqs. That was really upsetting me, because the photo of the box or other detail of some particular games weren't the same as the ones i have. Gamefaqs thinks that every country in South America has the same release, but we DON'T! Some editions are exclusive to Brazil and our boxes are in portuguese, not spanish, so they cannot segment everything as a single region release. That's annoying.

Beside that, i like the interface: clean,  easy navigation, color pallets are pleasant for the eyes;  communication with the staff is much better that the other sites... well, i'm happy to be part of RFG
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:32:36 PM by raffa1985 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length