RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:26:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 22 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 22  (Read 17905 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »

We meant complete in box variants.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »

I can hear somebody's cat meowing in the background.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »

I enjoyed the show guys. Didn't even miss the small scores this time! lol. Definitely got me thinking/rethinking my collection goals, and I may end up adding the Taito subset for NES...

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »

I can hear somebody's cat meowing in the background.

That's why I've never even attempted to do anything related to commentary or podcasts. The cats have to be locked out of the room when my wife's doing video conferences, as they'll try to get into whatever she's doing.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »

Doesnt matter. DEATH TO VARIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

Doesnt matter. DEATH TO VARIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xbox 360 variants?Huh Wink

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »

Those are even worse to him. Only thing worse, I think, is Sega Genesis variants.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »

Ok... we meant achievement variants! Wink

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »

Me: STACKABLES!
Tyn: "But they are from other countries!"
Me: False. Batman GOTY
Tyn: "Oh i conveniently forgot about those last time you mentioned stackable variants."

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 04:09:39 PM »

Me: STACKABLES!
Tyn: "But they are from other countries!"
Me: False. Batman GOTY
Tyn: "Oh i conveniently forgot about those last time you mentioned stackable variants."

Thats just a best seller variant and I have never had a problem with those or LE/CE type variants.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »

This was your best show in a very long time guys. Awesome topic, great discussion.

The only subset I ever was seriously going for was Atlus games on PS2 but to hell with that noise thanks to Rule Of Rose.

And I would never go for a complete set on any console because every console has some crap games, and I don't collect crap games.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »

I understand completely about garbage games. Sometimes you collect for things you enjoy playing, and sometimes to accomplish a goal. It's all about what you want to personally get out of the hobby.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »

There were a bunch of points I wanted to jump in on for this podcast when I listened to it a couple days ago. If I could remember them all and managed to put all my thoughts to print it would qualify for the tldr tag....

....actually, this might be too long as it is, and a little somber in parts to boot. I've added some pics to liven things up a bit and break up the wall of text, they're just for fun.

One thing Bil said did manage to stick in my mind though, he was saying something along the lines of how completing a collection or sub-set didn't bring as large amount of satisfaction as one might suspect. That putting the last game of a long sought after set on the shelf wasn't a life changing event....I'm paraphrasing for the sake of discussion here.....I'd like to caution against thinking it would. Without straying too much into a preachy/psychology-y/ethics-101/age-old-wisdom discourse, making a reminder of saying the acquisition of things won't make a person happy.

While there isn't anything wrong with collecting in itself, thinking it, by itself, will satisfy life's needs isn't a good way to go. Keeping in mind this is all coming from someone who is in their third decade of collecting, has thousands of items spread about the house, goes to several game shows/expos a year, is looking for ways to have more than 20 consoles hooked up at once and has submitted at least a couple scans to this wonderful collecting database. I want to remind us to keep game collecting in it's rightful place in our lives. Like anything, moderation is key. Moderation will be different for each of us of course but we should be mindful of it. And what is it we need to moderate? It's not just things like spending or time commitments but also things like how we value the hobby compared to our friends and families.

I'm sure that most of the people on this site have thought of these things and how collecting games fits into their lives. It doesn't hurt to talk about it though. Nearly everyone who bothers to post about other peoples finds in the forum, or the small scores thread, seems to be honestly congratulatory and happy for others, like we are part of a team having fun finding and displaying stuff. I really hope it isn't ever the other way though, were people are getting jealous or envious or making it out to be a competition for who can get the biggest and best stuff. Does it ever feel like some people are finding lots of cool stuff and getting all this praise which makes other people feel like they need to "compete" so they can get that too? I certainly don't want it to be like that, I like the "yay! we're part of a team!" feeling way more.

Enough of that for one post....

They were talking about people making their own shelves to put games on, I just put up a shelf I made, it has DVD's on it but it might be able to hold games too  Wink

I'm working on some sets too. My collecting is mostly based on price, I realize just like that guy Crabby was talking about who enjoyed the hunt so much he was willing to sell off parts of his collection just so he could find it again, I have so much fun in the hunt I don't need to spend a lot to make it fun. For a long time I was just adding games as I found them trying to average $1 per item, I still do that of course but have added a few other goals. Because of all the people completing things like NES and SMS collections on this site and realizing it's a competition (are you paying attention?  Tongue) I wanted to complete one too. Since most Odyssey^2 games are about a dollar and it's a small set, I'm trying to get them all. I'm one away. I have all the first party games if that means anything.

Other things I'm working on are Vectrex games, maybe SMS games and half halfheartedly TG16 games. I'm thinking about getting the rest of the Nintendo Fun Club News mags and someday the Virtual Boy collection. Of course there is always the NES collection but some of those games are now worth more than a buck a piece so I'm kinda taking a break from that, at least slowing down. I guess none of those are really sub-sets like what was talked about on the show but I'm such a cheap collector, setting out to get anything other than but including what can be found for cheap is tough.

Seems like I have more to say but I know how you internet people are, if it's more than two sentences long I get a thumbs down right? I've been finding youtube comments hilarious lately.....oh yeah, I was signing off.....uh, here's one more pic, one of those ones you like, were you try to recognize the games. How many do you know below Pitfall: The Mayan Adventures?

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »

@RetroRage - I've typically got several on the go as well. Right now its:

Last 11 NES games
ATLUS published games
TMNT Games
Mega Man Games
TG16 Games
Turbo CD Games
Working Designs Games
Batman Games
CIB Virtual Boy Games
N64 Boxes (not necessarily games right now)
Wii U Games released in 2012

I like having multiples on the go so that a lot of my game pick ups actively help me towards a goal, especially since some of them are going to be a long time off.

If you do decide to jump into TG16/Turbo CD let it be known. I'd love to have another partner in crime on that one.

I'm sure you'd amass your TG16 games much quicker than me.  If I'm lucky I'll get a new game once a month.  On top of bills and things like that, I just never see any games locally so I have to get all my Turbo stuff on ebay where people are starting to charge an arm and a leg.

So unless you know a guy who happens to own a video game store who could hook me up with affordable games or could give me suggestions on cheapies, I'm out of luck...

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 12:51:12 AM »

And I would never go for a complete set on any console because every console has some crap games, and I don't collect crap games.

I agree 150%...Except definitions of crap may vary.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length