RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:37:13 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 22 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 22  (Read 17925 times)
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2014, 01:07:56 AM »

And I would never go for a complete set on any console because every console has some crap games, and I don't collect crap games.

I agree 150%...Except definitions of crap may vary.

Crap rules!!

@RetroRage - I've typically got several on the go as well. Right now its:

Last 11 NES games
ATLUS published games
TMNT Games
Mega Man Games
TG16 Games
Turbo CD Games
Working Designs Games
Batman Games
CIB Virtual Boy Games
N64 Boxes (not necessarily games right now)
Wii U Games released in 2012

I like having multiples on the go so that a lot of my game pick ups actively help me towards a goal, especially since some of them are going to be a long time off.

If you do decide to jump into TG16/Turbo CD let it be known. I'd love to have another partner in crime on that one.

I'm sure you'd amass your TG16 games much quicker than me.  If I'm lucky I'll get a new game once a month.  On top of bills and things like that, I just never see any games locally so I have to get all my Turbo stuff on ebay where people are starting to charge an arm and a leg.

So unless you know a guy who happens to own a video game store who could hook me up with affordable games or could give me suggestions on cheapies, I'm out of luck...

It's all about teamwork. Russlyman has hooked me up with a ton of reasonably priced TG16 games as of recently. I'd be happy to help out.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »

@nupoile: I think that is a very healthy outlook. I honestly don't look at small scores as competition, and even though it is fun to tease, I have just as much fun helping others find things they need as I do getting another item for my collection.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 09:19:47 AM »

I'm somewhat in the same boat at that collector Crabby mentioned. I have no problems selling things off to people here, as I figure I'll find it again if I was meant to have it. Wink

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »

Good news guys.  I have checked the interwebs and you are in fact still on podcast pickle.  Thought you'd want to know.
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »

Good news guys.  I have checked the interwebs and you are in fact still on podcast pickle.  Thought you'd want to know.

+1 Karma

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 08:44:41 PM »

[img width=480 height=360]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/winning_zpsae19e0bf.jpg[/img]

GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »

Great Topic to talk about as well as for Sets I am currently working on two and have hit a stall in the NES one but Saturn will be easier once I get some more games from our very own Tynstar.

So NES & Sega Saturn are the two I am working on currently - Subset wise I am working on Atlus & NIS America.

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »

@Nick you're getting pretty close to finishing the NES set aren't you?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »

And I would never go for a complete set on any console because every console has some crap games, and I don't collect crap games.

I collect complete sets for several systems, and yes I agree, there are always "crap" games for EVERY system. However, for retro consoles, which is what I collect for, the nostalgia and the joy of collecting outweighs having these games in my collection. Sure I may not play some of these games much or at all, but even "crap" games have their historical place within the context of that time. I find it sort of fun to put in a bad game I played in my childhood and play it every once in a while just because it's bad, and visitors to my collection get a good chuckle remembering games that they played a long time ago that were awful. I once had a friend over at a party ask me, "Do you have Airwolf (NES)?" Of course I did and that guy sat in my gameroom for 2 hours mid-party playing it. Ha! I say  if you have the room and you enjoying being around the stuff, "crap" game or not, sometimes it's worth owning.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »

Very well put Banana. I guess for myself, I will always find it hard to complete a library, mainly based on the fact that certain games I have no love for. Regardless of how much the idea of a complete library for any system is very impressive, I can't bring myself to owning ALL the basketball or football games on a console. My collecting has been a very cherry picking style since I started, and for the most part, is a solid library, of really good games (with a few "crap" titiles thrown in) I say definitions of "crap" may vary because while Blades of Steel, Spy Hunter, and Festers Quest may not be the best the NES had to offer, they provide me with nostalgic joy seeing them on my shelf and taking me down memory lane to when they were among the first NES titles I ever received.

At the end of the day, collecting has no rhyme or reason. It's a madness in itself. Some games we collect because it brings us memories of an earlier time, some we collect to be able to play a game we always wanted to try but never did and some we collect just cause we feel they belong in our collections. 

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »

As far as sports games are concerned, you have to remember that with retro systems, sports games were not nearly as abundant as they are now (especially during the PS1/PS2 era). Games weren't released on a yearly basis, like they are now with such franchises like Madden, etc. The NES has many more "crap" platformers than sports games, but even bad platformers often have their merits.

I agree, collecting has no rhyme or reason and is based on many factors: whether people are more gamer/collector/a mix of both, income, space, etc. Though I would like complete sets for a few systems, I have several other systems that I have no interest in collecting all of the games for and only add games that are iconic for that particular system or interest me in terms of gameplay. Collecting games, like collecting other items, is really a to-each-their-own concept.

Also........Nobody puts Blades of Steel in the corner! Wink

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »

What Banana said about a console's place in the history of video game is the exact reason I'm shooting for a complete NES set. If I wanted to collect based nostalgia I'd be looking at the SNES and N64, but their appeal to me isn't as strong as the original Nintendo (the exception being SNES due its great library). The NES also has this mystique that I find so attractive. It's a console that came out roughly four years before I was born so I find it very exciting to see how people played games, what they enjoyed, what was considering great to people before my time.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »

@Nick you're getting pretty close to finishing the NES set aren't you?

I'm about 50 or so away from a Licensed NES Set...lots of expensive titles though Sad

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 07:29:50 PM »

I collect complete sets for several systems, and yes I agree, there are always "crap" games for EVERY system. However, for retro consoles, which is what I collect for, the nostalgia and the joy of collecting outweighs having these games in my collection. Sure I may not play some of these games much or at all, but even "crap" games have their historical place within the context of that time. I find it sort of fun to put in a bad game I played in my childhood and play it every once in a while just because it's bad, and visitors to my collection get a good chuckle remembering games that they played a long time ago that were awful. I once had a friend over at a party ask me, "Do you have Airwolf (NES)?" Of course I did and that guy sat in my gameroom for 2 hours mid-party playing it. Ha! I say  if you have the room and you enjoying being around the stuff, "crap" game or not, sometimes it's worth owning.

The Japanese have a word for "crap" games - kusoge. I like it and am happy to have some kusoge in my collection. It provides perspective, and can also illustrate how excellent or poor software can be on the same hardware.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »

Kusoge is even a genre over there!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length