RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:54:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 103746 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 03:50:36 PM »

Wrestling is categorized as "sports entertainment", as least in terms of WWE. Traditional wrestling is considered "sports". So, it should be under sports as Apollo pointed out.  Wink
Also, nice Jet Set Radio reference.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »

Why is wrestling under the "Fighting" genre but not boxing?

Spoiler (hover to show)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »

I agree WWF/WWE/WCW/Def Jam Fight for NY/Celebrity Death Match/etc all belong under fighting.
The object of the games are not sport in the greco roman/olympic sense of the sport. (See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ki/Professional_wrestling )

Even in the over the top boxing games(Don King Prize Fighter, Ready To Rumble, etc) they still (IMO) keep closer to the sport than "wrestling" games do.
Same for the other sporting genres more or less.

I feel that the pool is not a slight since you can play it in a bar was unfair. I feel darts is less of a sport than pool Tongue

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »

I mean Darts and Pool are technically sports, but I feel as a video game, they fit the bill of Game Sim very nicely. We're gonna need a tally on this. Sport or game of skill?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »

Isn't the skill required what makes it a sport?
All sports require skill.
Most are over all team skill. But golf/darts/pool/darts/boxing etc rest entirely on the skill of a single individual. Either to understand the physics of a drive/putt/shot/throw or how best to attack/defend against an opponent without getting knocked on your own ass.
Spoiler (hover to show)

Also add Swimming as a sports sub genre. My recent sale of Micheal Phelps: Push the Limit forced me to remember that game.

I would suggest just renaming "alternative" to "extreme". I have never heard Skateboarding, BMX, etc labeled as alternative but i feel most if not everyone is familiar with the "extreme sports" title.

Finally
Where do the "arcade" style sports games go?
Hot Shots golf, Mario/Sega [insert sport], Megaman Soccer, Outlaw Golf/Volleball, Nicktoons MLB, NBA/NFL/FIFA Street, Freestyle Street Soccer, etc, etc

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 09:15:04 PM »

IDK I guess it would be wise not to nay-say their inclusion as sports and just add them there to avoid this sort of semantic hoohah. I don't think many people would care about them being in there anyway.

As for sports with characters and stuff in them I would say just add them to their respective sport. A problem with adding "Arcade" as a subgenre modifier is that it opens a pandora's box of unorganization. Tons of arcade to home console ports would need this in the subgenre field with no clear lines on which games need this specified.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 12:40:15 AM »

I have watched WWE/Sports entertainment for years. I enjoy it...but fully understand what it is. If I had to classify it, I would say soap opera. Wink

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

For Genres, do we feel pretty set to move ahead with that? I expect Subgenres to be iterated upon almost ad infinitum, but I can at least add/remove/change genres if we feel those are solid.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »

I like the separation of Fitness and Edutainment, it is clear. I cannot find anything I would personally change or comment on for improvement

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2014, 03:18:45 PM »

I advocate that "Edutainment" be changed to Education or Educational. Not all "edutainment" games are entertaining, and it's just a buzz word to indicate it's an educational game. Wink

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 05:49:41 PM »

I advocate that "Edutainment" be changed to Education or Educational. Not all "edutainment" games are entertaining, and it's just a buzz word to indicate it's an educational game. Wink

I'm good with this.

My vote would be to move forward with these changes.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »

Yeah education is better. Added task to list
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »

I took a look at the database to see what it would entail to change the genres...suffice to say that I am severe disappointed.

EDIT: Also disappointed in how attached files work, but essentially the database should be storing those off the ID value, not the string value. This means we'll need to update EVERY SINGLE ENTRY IN THE DATABASE rather than just changing the genre values. There isn't an emote strong enough to denote the sadness that I feel, so we'll go with this.  flamethrower

I can fix it with some DB string search/replace wizardry, but it makes me extremely sad to see that basic DB functionality doesn't exist on this site. Same with Console Names, and quite a few other string-based fields.

EDIT EDIT: Did I mention that "Type" is also the Hardware column for hwtypes (e.g. System), which is a separate table for the Hardware? Wish I was at home right now to grab something cold from the fridge...  drunk

WEEKEND PROJECT

* DBGenre.png (7.01 KB, 138x517 - viewed 956 times.)

* DBString.png (2.48 KB, 126x353 - viewed 913 times.)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 06:30:00 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

Fitness and Game Creator genres added. I'll see about the renames later on.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:21 PM »

Wow, tough to hear that the DB was built that way. I wish I was more familiar with SQL and could offer some help.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length