RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 103376 times)
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »

Platformer is definitely a good one.

Survival horror I would probably class as a sub genre of action/adventure in most cases.

I often think simple arcade games could do with their own genre too. Stuff like Mario Bros, frogger, pac-man etc don’t seem to particularly fit the categories already there
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »

Those all fit the Action genre, as most arcade games do.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2018, 02:42:37 AM »

Ok, let's keep this project rolling. Please address any concerns or suggestions with the following list. I'm hoping  this will get implemented after the leadership change is all nice and settled.  Here's a breakdown of the Genres:

Current Staying Genres
Compilation
Demo
Education
Fighting
Fitness
Game Creator
Game Simulator
Rhythm
Non-Game
Puzzle
Racing
RPG
Shooter
Simulator
Sports
Strategy

Genres to be Added
Action-Adventure
Action
Adventure
Platform
(Adding these to the DB will help divvy up the extremely bloated Act/Adv Genre. It will take quite some time to sort through Act/Adv and empty it into these 4 but I think it will be worth it.)
Classic Shooter
(Now, most sites do not go this route, but I think dividing the Shooter genre into two distinct ones will help specify the gameplay as this genre as a whole has very much evolved over the years. Classic Shooters will consist of third person shmup-like games, run n guns and pretty much all 2D and top down shooters. Shooter will keep first and third person shooters, anything realistically military based, survival, and mechs.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:46:58 AM by Fleabitten » Logged
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2018, 02:57:03 AM »

Also, I've been throwing around the ideas of Survival and Sandbox. The problem is, categorizing some of these games can be tricky. I'd place Rust in Survival, but Minecraft could be both. As for PUBG and Fortnite, I'd keep them as shooters with the Subgenre of Battle Royal. I also think the amount of games don't justify their own Genre yet. These decisions could come later though. I really just want to settle the previous post because it's been sat on for a couple years now.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

OK, trying to get caught up with this. Action/Adventure already exists, but I see where you are going with the other additions. I think I would prefer "Platformer" over "Platform," but that may just be me. Can you describe to me a situation that would clearly call for a division of "Action" or "Adventure" instead of the combination?

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2018, 06:58:18 PM »

Can you describe to me a situation that would clearly call for a division of "Action" or "Adventure" instead of the combination?
The fact that Pong and Monkey Island are currently in the same all-encompassing genre is telling me we should be more specific. Pure action games are basically arcade games where you move around without much in the way of story based game mechanics. Adventure games cover text adventures, point and click, walking simulators, visual novels and the like. Action-Adventure are games that draw heavily from both genres. GTA, Zelda, survival horror games and many more fit here.
Action/Adventure already exists
I know, it's just that creating a new genre is going to make the process of reviewing everything in the current Act/Adv and sorting it to the proper genre, eventually emptying it and deleting it simpler. You could suggest to not move Act/Adv games from their current spot but if I take several days to do this (which is most likely the case) it's going to be easier to pick up where I left off. I hope you get what I mean, I know my words can be a little convoluted. laugh
I think I would prefer "Platformer" over "Platform,"
I really don't mind. Wikipedia says Platform is the actual name and Platformer is the alternative but I can see both.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #216 on: March 13, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »

Classic Shooter
(Now, most sites do not go this route, but I think dividing the Shooter genre into two distinct ones will help specify the gameplay as this genre as a whole has very much evolved over the years. Classic Shooters will consist of third person shmup-like games, run n guns and pretty much all 2D and top down shooters. Shooter will keep first and third person shooters, anything realistically military based, survival, and mechs.)

As a connoisseur of shmups and all things classic shooty bang bang pew pew, I thank you.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #217 on: March 13, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »

You've answered my questions, Fleabitten, and I see where you're going. If you want to take on this project and see it through, go for it.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #218 on: March 13, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »

Sounds good, thank you for the feedback everyone and thanks Duke.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #219 on: April 15, 2018, 02:47:46 AM »

Made some big revisions to go along with new genres. Remember discussion is always open for any disagreements.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

A couple of suggestions regarding Sports subgenres:

-change "Soccer/Football" to just "Soccer".  It looks neater, and having a subgenre with a "/" in it is visually confusing when "/' are also used to separate subgenres. Also the term, "Soccer", is common enough that people know it even if they live in a country where soccer is the principle football code.

-add "Australian Football" to the guide as this sport is prone to inconsistent naming.  "Australian Football" is the sport's formal title but it is generally called Australian Rules, Aussie Rules or some variation thereof (when it isn't called football, footy or AFL). 

Also, minor point, but "Titles using foreign alphabets should be translated and used as the main title" should be "Titles using foreign alphabets should be transliterated and used as the main title".
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2018, 01:42:00 AM »

A couple of suggestions regarding Sports subgenres:
Noted and I'll update to reflect soon.

Now I'd like to pose the question: Rail Shooters, Classic or Regular?
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2018, 05:23:50 PM »

Aren't on-rail shooters always lightgun (or faux-lightgun)?

the only game I can think of that's on-rail that doesn't use a lightgun (or lightgun substitute) is Star Wars Kinect, and that's only because the kinect is a faux-lightsabre rather than a faux-lightgun.

Regarding the "Shooter" genre, I think it needs to be renamed (Modern-Shooter? Free-Roaming Shooter?) as I have seen a few submissions that used the "Shooter" genre instead of "Classic Shooter".
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »

Aren't on-rail shooters always lightgun (or faux-lightgun)?
Nope, Starfox, Sin and Punishment, Pokemon Snap and GalGun to name a few are considered Rail Shooters.
Regarding the "Shooter" genre, I think it needs to be renamed (Modern-Shooter? Free-Roaming Shooter?)
I see your point but I don't know if it would make sense to call Wolfenstein 3D "Modern". I feel that calling modern shoot em ups "Classic" in genre makes more sense. I don't feel the same for modern rail shooters, thus the question I'm posing.
as I have seen a few submissions that used the "Shooter" genre instead of "Classic Shooter".
It's an early work in progress. Very few games have been brought over to Classic which should be there. Plus, people are still submitting and approving to erroneous genres.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »

Now I'd like to pose the question: Rail Shooters, Classic or Regular?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length