RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:19:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 103373 times)
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2018, 11:10:52 PM »

Now I'd like to pose the question: Rail Shooters, Classic or Regular?

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.
I have Rail Shooters currently listed as Classic Shooters. Should they be left under the regular Shooter genre? I can honestly see them as either.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2018, 02:57:51 PM »

I wouldn’t say that Rail Shooters constituted a genre on its own.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2018, 03:55:29 PM »

That's not really what I'm implying. I'm asking if it should be Classic Shooter or Shooter.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2018, 07:40:03 PM »

Now I get it... you have to speak slowly to your elders sometimes. Wink

I'd put it under Shooter, as I don't think it fits with the idea of classic scrolling shooters.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:11 AM »

Question:

Do the Blood Bowl games count as "Sport", "Strategy" or "Game Simulator"?

People tend top categorise it as Sport, but it's based on the miniature board game by Games Workshop.
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2018, 12:14:50 AM »

That's a good question. The "Game Sim" genre is specific to our site, as far as I know. It basically exists to easily categorize a number of games that have analog equivalents. (which I find useful and am definitely for keeping around) There are however many instances of these games fitting into better defined genres. e.g.: D&D to RPG, Risk to Strategy. Keeping that in mind, I'd put Blood Bowl down as a Strategy game; especially since typical sports games are generally more geared towards action/simulation of a real-world sport.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2018, 03:36:25 AM »

Suggestion:

The "Tube"  subgenre should be renamed to something like "Planar" or "Fixed Plane 3D".  "Tube" is used to describe Tempest, however, there are a few games that use this gameplay style but often on a flat plane.  For example, Hyper Void and Polybius do have tube sections but a lot of the action is on a flat plane.
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2018, 06:00:19 AM »

Why is "Demo" a genre? We already have demo as a release type and it gets added as a variant title. Surely the genre would always be either compilation for a multi game demo or the genre of the game its demoing for one game.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »

Why is "Demo" a genre? We already have demo as a release type and it gets added as a variant title. Surely the genre would always be either compilation for a multi game demo or the genre of the game its demoing for one game.

Some software is literally just demonstrations - no gameplay. I can't think of any for a console, but can for computers.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #234 on: July 08, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »

Some software is literally just demonstrations - no gameplay. I can't think of any for a console, but can for computers.

Wouldn’t the genre in that case then be non-game. And video demo (or similar) as sub genre
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2018, 05:23:45 PM »

I've always thought it was excessive to have Demo as a Genre, Release Type and Variation Title. I think we'd be fine getting rid of the Demo genre, as we'd still track which is which internally via release type and through the search bar via variation title. Genre is supposed to indicate gameplay, after all.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2018, 03:53:58 AM »

This guide is pretty good, but I think it would be improved by including more examples for major series, as people get confused which category a game series falls under.  Yes, that includes myself at times. 

For example, submitters will categorise Mega Man games as "Platformer (2d)", "Action (Run n Gun)" or "Shooter".
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »

I've always thought it was excessive to have Demo as a Genre, Release Type and Variation Title. I think we'd be fine getting rid of the Demo genre, as we'd still track which is which internally via release type and through the search bar via variation title. Genre is supposed to indicate gameplay, after all.

I'm fine with getting rid of the Demo genre as long as the edits are made to switch the release type if appropriate.

This guide is pretty good, but I think it would be improved by including more examples for major series, as people get confused which category a game series falls under.  Yes, that includes myself at times. 

For example, submitters will categorise Mega Man games as "Platformer (2d)", "Action (Run n Gun)" or "Shooter".

I always think this is helpful. Feel free to add them to the wiki.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2018, 05:59:26 PM »

Ok. I’ll look to getting rid of the demo genre on all entries currently using it. Then it can be deleted as a genre.

Might take a while though. But of a long term goal
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2018, 12:18:57 AM »

Going back to the Rail Shooters shouldn't be Classic Shooters question, there's a bit of vagueness to be addressed. First of all, many light gun shooters (still under classic) use a on-rails gameplay, especially later arcade ports like House of the Dead. I think leaving light gun games out of Classic would be the least messiest option. I know Duck Hunt is classic by all means but we're going to have to draw lines somewhere. Come to think of it, we have Starfox defined as a classic shooter, yet it's basically on rails, albeit primarily 3rd person. (I still think we should have gone with Shmup and put only scrolling/top down shooters there but whatever.) Anyone care to weigh in on this?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length