RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2018, 09:34:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Genre & Subgenre Guide 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print
Author Topic: Genre & Subgenre Guide  (Read 25262 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »

I think light guns fall under the Classic heading as light gun games and the tech are classic, not the games themselves per se.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »

Going back to the Rail Shooters shouldn't be Classic Shooters question, there's a bit of vagueness to be addressed.

There's a lot of vagueness.  The vagueness seems to come from where the turning point is between the mechanics that define the "Classic Shooter" and the "[modern] Shooter".  I've generally used the concept of free movement to differentiate the two (which itself isn't perfect, as there are some old school arcade games with full movement).  From that perspective, I don't have qualms about having on-rail light gun games as "Classic Shooters", as they are essentially shooting galleries that move from time to time. 

I think leaving light gun games out of Classic would be the least messiest option. I know Duck Hunt is classic by all means but we're going to have to draw lines somewhere.

It's not just Duck Hunt-- you'd be pretty much taking out most of the Shooting Gallery games out of the Classic Shooter genre.  Personally, I think that any game with "Light Gun" listed as a subgenre must be accompanied with another subgenre (usually "On-Rails" or "Shooting Gallery").  For example:

House of the Dead = On-Rails Light Gun
Point Blank = Shooting Gallery Light Gun
Vampire Night 2= On-Rails

I think light guns fall under the Classic heading as light gun games and the tech are classic, not the games themselves per se.

Definitely agree that light gun games need to remain classic, as they are one of the earliest examples of a video game genre. 
Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2018, 05:46:48 AM »

Ok. Iíll look to getting rid of the demo genre on all entries currently using it. Then it can be deleted as a genre.

Might take a while though. Bit of a long term goal

Just to bring this one up again, I think if we are going to phase out Demo as a genre then the guide at the start of this thread should reflect that. E.g. state it is a legacy genre no longer to be used. And then refer to using the following genres:
- Compilation if a mix of games
- A standard genre if 1 game or all games are the same genre
- Non-game if video only

Section would probably then be removed in the future when all use of the "Demo" genre is gone and the genre removed from the list
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »

Those edits will need to be made to the wiki. I'd like to move away from using forum posts for policies and standards because they are not (easily) searchable.

Schlibby
DB Editor
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2018, 03:37:02 PM »

Those edits will need to be made to the wiki. I'd like to move away from using forum posts for policies and standards because they are not (easily) searchable.

Is this genre guide on the wiki? Couldnít see it there
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length