RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:07:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | June Retro Community Playthrough - Suikoden 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: June Retro Community Playthrough - Suikoden  (Read 32606 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 09:27:30 PM »

I got started tonight. If anybody wants some tips they can ask about it on here or PM me. For the newer members I'm the insane fanboy for this series. Anyway, in order to prevent my save from messing up Tir's name I decided to have a little fun with a name that begins with the letter 'M'. I decided on Mixalot so the one capital letter will fall in with the default name in Suikoden II, but also because of this.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 10:30:39 PM »

Played and beat this game 2 times, I love it, the hardest part is getting all 108 playable people

108 playable characters?  Whaaaaat?

Nah, only around 70 are playable.

Oh.  Well that sounds reasonable.

Find all the 108 people Smiley so you can use your save for Suikoden 2 and get extra goodies.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »

I'm gonna find like only 14 dudes

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 08:10:51 AM »

Thanks for the info SirPsycho!

I started 2 days ago…did a little grinding before I even talked to Ted & grabbed the EXP boost item (forgot the name) I think I'm on level 13.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 12:11:45 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much about grinding. Don't worry about money, there's a simple trick you can do to make endless money later in the game.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 05:05:55 PM »

There's actually a trick you can do at the beginning too for lots of money. That's why I chose to grab that EXP boost instead of the $$$ boost.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 08:44:50 PM »

I know of it I just hate playing that game, its also why I skipped the extra items. I didn't want to make a spreadsheet of the pattern because I'm lazy and halfway to Toran Lake by now. My way to earn endless money is insanely fast later on, and well documented for those that desire to look. I'll drop some big hints for the newer players later.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 11:44:07 PM »

Checkpoint 1 is complete in a bit less than 3 hours of game time. I played a bit further too and have the infinite money machine rolling. YOU GET A WEAPON LEVEL, YOU GET A WEAPON LEVEL! EVERYBODY GETS SHOULDER PADS!

[img width=700 height=525]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/gpro83/20140530_213535_zpsnt8d4jvz.jpg[/img]

Yeah I could go for some White Castle, anybody else up for a run?

Anyway, this is what I named my Toran Castle. I had to keep with the theme of Mixalot. My hand was a bit shaky here... Anybody care to guess why?

[img width=700 height=525]http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g436/gpro83/20140530_213623_zpslblsbzan.jpg[/img]

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 04:12:27 AM »

Checkpoint 1 is complete in a bit less than 3 hours of game time. I played a bit further too and have the infinite money machine rolling. YOU GET A WEAPON LEVEL, YOU GET A WEAPON LEVEL! EVERYBODY GETS SHOULDER PADS!

First of all please tell me about this.

You got to the first checkpoint faster than I intended but I'll chalk it up to you be an expert on this game. It took me about four and a half hours. I'm working on the week two checkpoint now and it'll take longer than week one.

I believe the first time I played the game I never recruited whichever innkeeper you need to be able to save in the castle. Any hints?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 09:50:54 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »

Heh nice SirPsycho.  Sounds like you're really getting into this.  I picture you sitting 5 inches away from the screen on the floor hiding under a blanket with a huge bag of MnMs next to you.

I'm going with a Game of Thrones theme so I named my dude Hodor.

I started playing a little last night, I enjoy it so far.  I can't say too much and it yet but the music is nice!   I named my dude, walked around the town for a bit, then turned it off because I was falling asleep.  12 hours work days will do that to me...

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »

First of all please tell me about this.

You got to the first checkpoint faster than I intended but I'll chalk it up to you be an expert on this game. It took me about four and a half hours. I'm working on the week two checkpoint now and it'll take longer than week one.

I believe the first time I played the game I never recruited whichever innkeeper you need to be able to save in the castle. Any hints?

Spoiler (hover to show)

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:32 AM »

Damn, I think I missed the innkeeper again. EDIT: Nope, got her!  Cheesy

Well, today's the first of the month. Does everyone have a copy of the game? The June Retro Community Playthrough officially begins NOW!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:02:05 PM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »

Just got to the town passed Mt. Tigerwolf.

I've played about 4 hours, and here's my impression so far...

It's pretty easy to pick up and play and somewhat intuitive.  I really like the Free Will option, it streamlines the grinding nicely.  But there are a few things that drive me nuts.  

When you buy an item like medicine, it has a stock number next to it.  Which ordinarily might not be a bad thing, but it only goes up to 6.  Then if you want to buy more of the same item, it takes up an additional slot in your item box.  Again, this might not ordinarily be an issue, except the item list isn't a community list, every character has their own item inventory and they can only hold 10 or so items.  I have urns and stuff that need to be appraised and they're taking up valuable retail space and I have no idea when I'll see an appraiser again.

On top of that, I don't like that you have to constantly swap items with people.  This makes buying and equipping weapons and armor a nightmare.  I wish it was a community thing so if something was unequipped I could easily equip it on someone.  A lot of times I've bought an item I didn't know I already had because someone else had it sitting idle in their inventory.

Besides those gripes, it's a fun game so far.  I can't wait to learn more about how the runes work.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:42:06 PM by RetroRage » Logged

h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »

Yeah those issues suck. Ran into it a few times picking up chests and having to drop something.

I just now finished the trip to get the Astrological Results or whatever. So I'm still close to the beginning haha. My characters are badasses now though so I'm probably gonna run through a lot more tonight and hopefully reach that first checkpoint!
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »

The inventory system is my biggest complaint about this game as well. I've gotten practiced enough to the point where I just spread items around evenly to the party without thinking too much about it. Suikoden 2 fixes this problem and changes the Rune system so well that they became the standard for the rest of the series.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length