RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:41:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Homebrew, Reproduction & Hack Guidelines 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Homebrew, Reproduction & Hack Guidelines  (Read 6910 times)
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« on: May 31, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »

Can I get this cleared up... I was under the assumption that Repro carts were a no-go but after taking a look through what's in the Homebrew Genre, found DK, Mario Bros, Pac-Man and Space Invaders games. Where are the lines drawn? How come unreleased game repros can't be submitted but DK Pie Factory can?
Slowman
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 08:14:44 PM »

I'm interested in this question as well.  I have English-translated repros of Final Fantasy V and Secret of Mana 2 for Super Nintendo and I'd like to be able to add them to my collection properly instead of "sneaking" them in as Super Famicom carts. :p

PSN - rswslowman
3DS - 1177-8481-5639
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:32:08 PM »

This may not clarify much...but, I'll try:

Homebrews are allowed when they are original IPs. Pirates are not allowed, as they are typically ROM hacks based off illegal usage of IPs. Repros are fan-released versions of non-original IPs, and fall into a hazy area of legal and illegal. I don't know where homebrews based off active IPs fall, but I presume they're okay if Nintendo hasn't cracked down on them. Nintendo's pretty good on their IP protection, even going as far as to make money off YouTube videos of people playing Nintendo games and almost shutting down the Smash Bros. EVO tournament.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:51:57 PM »

Pirates are not allowed, as they are typically ROM hacks based off illegal usage of IPs.

I don't know where homebrews based off active IPs fall, but I presume they're okay if Nintendo hasn't cracked down on them.

I'm getting mixed messages here.  Huh

On a related question, I found Slender and TF2 in the database even tough they're free to download and play. I know TF2 used to be purchasable but Slender? Does this mean we can add free indie PC games to the database?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »

I did say "TRY", didn't I?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:20:56 AM »

i'm not sure about Slender, but wasn't part of the free to play not being ownership issue more to do with most FTP games being stand-alone releases with no platform? i could be wrong but i feel like TF2 is different because it's through Steam, especially since it used to cost money. A more recent example is that Battlefield 3 was just marked free along with Plants vs Zombies Game of the Year Edition on Origin for a few days, does that mean those games aren't counted in the database anymore because theoretically everyone with a PC could own them by now just like with TF2?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 07:56:04 AM »

Pirates are not allowed, as they are typically ROM hacks based off illegal usage of IPs.

I don't know where homebrews based off active IPs fall, but I presume they're okay if Nintendo hasn't cracked down on them.

I'm getting mixed messages here.  Huh

Essentially what he is saying is it is a game by game and approver by approver basis.

If someone submits something that is not supposed to be in the DB based on one persons ideas they might not approve it or deny it flat out.
Then another approver might just accept it out of hand or have a different standard and accept it.

In my mind:
Homebrews - OK to add. People have made new games or finished/released something that was shelved in the development process and never saw light of day.
Reproductions - Not OK to add. It is a bootleg IMO. (Worth noting i have bootlegs i want a way to track myself Tongue )
Hack - Not OK for above reason. Though again this can tow the line as i have seen some ROM hacks that were REALLY good and practically whole new games(homebrew) and ones that were just minor tweaks(repro)

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »

I've got some nicely done repros in my collection from RetroUSB like DK Pie Factory and SMB2j. While I would like to track these in the collection tool, I am also understanding if it is decided that these fall outside the boundaries of the database.

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »

Hmm ok, we'll leave it at that then. Any consensus on free downloadable PC games?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:14:25 AM »

The flood gates are already opened on PC games.

supernorst
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:23 PM »

I generally disagree on limiting the reproductions and hacks on the forum and collections. I will of course respect any site decisions regarding that however I would like to give my own input regarding the subject.

I happened to be a big fan of Timewalk Games when they were around. I really enjoyed how you could get excellent translations, hacks, and homebrews from them complete in a nice box with a manual.  I personally would like to see their entire lineup cataloged so that I can know which of their games I still need and hopefully obtain them.

Also one huge benefit of the reproduction boom is the fact that finally we are getting alot of old RPGs getting translations for english players. These Repro carts deserve documentation in my own opinion.

Of course I believe that these lists should be kept separate from the console Master Lists of games, under like a hack/homebrew list along with the source of the reproduction serving as the publishers.

To conclude I want to thank the creators of this site for having such excellent tools to document our collections, and I understand if it is not possible to allow these games to be added to the database.

Gamer of All Generations
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »

I can appreciate your arguments supernorst, as I have some of these games in my collection. Unfortunately, since they are not legitimate releases it would be unreasonable to catalog all of them as anyone with an eprom burner and a soldering iron can do a release. Yes, there are some very high quality releases, but ultimately they are piracy.

Does this mean I won't own some? Nope, I like them. Should they be in our database? Probably not.

supernorst
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »

They may not be legitimate releases but this calls into question what a legitimate release is. I believe that if a company produces a game, labels it, packages it, and sells it; than a game is a legitimate release. Legality of course is a bit different. I would def call a Timewalk title a legitimate release simply because everything of theirs was labeled as a timewalk game. The backs of games had stickers that promoted their website. Same with the boxes. I would look at them as simply another unlicensed developer.

Gamer of All Generations
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:27:32 PM »

Unfortunately, even thought their games are well produced, they don't own the rights to the software they sold. This is piracy.

Unlicensed publishers own the rights to their games, they simply lack the license from the manufacturer to produce titles for the platform.

supernorst
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »

They are piracy, I don't disagree with that. However they exist, and are a part of many gamer's collections. Therefore I believe they should be cataloged in some way. That's just my 2 cents.

Gamer of All Generations
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length