RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:30:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Episode 3 - RFGeneration Community Playthrough Wrap-Up 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Episode 3 - RFGeneration Community Playthrough Wrap-Up  (Read 5119 times)
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »

THIS PODCAST CONTAINS SPOILERS.

Podomatic - http://rfgenplaythroughs....2014-07-05T11_55_21-07_00
Youtube -
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/rfgenplaythroughs
Twitter - https://twitter.com/RFGPlaythroughs
Itunes - https://itunes.apple.com/...ythrough/id874327459?mt=2

Retro: Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 - Super Nintendo
Modern: Lost in Shadows - Nintendo Wii

Join the RFGeneration Community Playthrough hosts Rich (Singlebanana), Jamie (techwizard), Floyd (Fleach), and Shawn (GrayGhost81) as we discuss some classic SNES platformers and a hidden gem on the Wii in the May Playthroughs.

Introduction: 0:00:12
DKC/DKC2 Discussion: 0:01:43
Lost in Shadow Discussion: 1:03:04
Conclusion: 1:42:44

Music:
Opening/Closing theme by Atma Weapon - https://atmaweaponnc.bandcamp.com/
Transition Songs -

Edited by Jamie (techwizard)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:24:37 PM by techwizard » Logged
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »

Maybe some Men At Work will put people in a better mood to discuss the episode.

However, no men chunder here. At least I hope not.

Raidou and I can make Vegemite sandwiches for everyone.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »

I'll buy bread from a man in Brussels.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:21:33 AM »

What does chunder mean?

Great show guys. Nice job from the guests too.

Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:04:14 AM »

What does chunder mean?

chunder (noun): To throw up, vomit.  See also spew, hurl, chuck, heave.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »

What does chunder mean?

chunder (noun): To throw up, vomit.  See also spew, hurl, chuck, heave.

Well now......you learn something every day. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:02:28 AM »

I'm happy that we're talking here, but could we move away from Australian slang?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:58 AM »

I'm happy that we're talking here, but could we move away from Australian slang?

Says the man who started it........... Tongue

But seriously, we had some good conversation with Disposed Hero before going on the air to record the Lost in Shadow segment. Fleach asked him if he thought Lost in Shadow would have been better off as an Indie title as opposed to a physical release. I'd like for you guys to rehash this conversation and hear other member's thoughts on this topic. Apparently, the dumbass hosting the podcast forgot to cover it. I think you guys should look into replacing that loser.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

As you've noticed I have a tendency to steer topics in the wrong direction and open a can of worms in the process.

But seriously, we had some good conversation with Disposed Hero before going on the air to record the Lost in Shadow segment. Fleach asked him if he thought Lost in Shadow would have been better off as an Indie title as opposed to a physical release. I'd like for you guys to rehash this conversation and hear other member's thoughts on this topic. Apparently, the dumbass hosting the podcast forgot to cover it. I think you guys should look into replacing that loser.

My question that I posed before recording was: Would Lost in Shadow be a better game had it been a 4-6 hour "indie" title as opposed to a 10 hour game?

I think Lost in Shadow had a lot going for it, but it ended up with lots of fluff padding out the game time. I really think it could have been streamlined and trimmed to be much better.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »

As you've noticed I have a tendency to steer topics in the wrong direction and open a can of worms in the process.

My question that I posed before recording was: Would Lost in Shadow be a better game had it been a 4-6 hour "indie" title as opposed to a 10 hour game?

I think Lost in Shadow had a lot going for it, but it ended up with lots of fluff padding out the game time. I really think it could have been streamlined and trimmed to be much better.

that was the impression i got from it too, though i didn't play it. ~60 floors is a lot, and it sounded like they didn't have much reason to have so many besides padding the game time.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 03:53:51 PM »

It's mentioned in the podcast, but the major flaw in this game is that basically not a lot of new elements are introduced throughout. You are essentially playing the same game for 60+ levels. It's a shame, since the concept of this title is so original and the graphics are beautiful. I agree that this title would have probably been better cut in half and released as an Indie title as is. With new elements and possibly a more highly developed and progressive storyline, it would have been a better and more noteworthy release.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »

Something to add to the discussion, but if it were released as a WiiWare title (downloadable) rather than a packaged good, do you think it would have done better in sales or popularity? Since you're pushing for it to have been released as an Indie title, that would've been the only other distribution method that it could've been released with. Historically, download-only titles on consoles have had trouble getting visibility and sales in comparison to packaged goods.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »

i tried looking up info on how many copies were sold for this game and can't find anything, though maybe you might know a better way to search for that Shadow. it would be nice to see how well it actually did sell but from the apparent low popularity i'd say it couldn't have done any worse as a WiiWare title.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/38432/lost-in-shadow/

Total Units

North America:    0.09m    79.4%
+ Europe:    0.00m    3.6%
+ Japan:    0.01m    11.7%
+ Rest of the World:    0.01m    5.2%
= Global   0.11m   

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

Just to clarify, when we say "indie" we mean short downloadable game game. The reason I had that question was because Limbo was sticking out in my mind as we discussed Lost in Shadow.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length