RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:54:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | August Retro Community Playthrough - Beyond Oasis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: August Retro Community Playthrough - Beyond Oasis  (Read 16783 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:09 PM »

Sign me up too

Added good sir!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »

Did I miss the checkpoint posting?

like shadow said we normally just edit the first post with things like checkpoints and new participants, and only add a new post to just remind people that it's been updated.
Skullduggery43
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2014, 10:41:29 AM »

Ok, thank you for the clarification Smiley
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »

Made it to the checkpoint.

I thought
Spoiler (hover to show)

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Skullduggery43
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 05:23:33 PM »

So, can we discuss the game on this thread?  Meaning parts we find cool, funny, etc...
I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »

You can discuss anything that happened up to this week's checkpoint. Share your thoughts on the game thus far, tell us why you liked or disliked a character, say why you thought something was funny. I always tell people to think of this as a book club for games. You can talk about anything that is relevant to the current checkpoint.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »

I thought
Spoiler (hover to show)

I didn't really know what to call it, but several playthroughs called it a turtle.

Also, to clarify: we do not talk about Week 1 until after Week 1. Basically, just don't spoil anything. You are welcome to talk about gameplay, controls, and anything pretty much irrelevant to plot at any time.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »

I thought
Spoiler (hover to show)

I didn't really know what to call it, but several playthroughs called it a turtle.

Also, to clarify: we do not talk about Week 1 until after Week 1. Basically, just don't spoil anything. You are welcome to talk about gameplay, controls, and anything pretty much irrelevant to plot at any time.

that's not how i always thought it works, because that means that the first week no one is allowed to post about story. as long as it's behind a spoiler tag i don't really see the issue, those who are playing ahead can always read them and those who aren't can come back to them later.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2014, 12:18:21 PM »

Internal conflict already.

Don't get too wrapped up in etiquette and have with the game. It's really a reader beware type thing if you want to avoid spoilers.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2014, 12:25:45 PM »

Internal conflict already.

Don't get too wrapped up in etiquette and have with the game. It's really a reader beware type thing if you want to avoid spoilers.

ya Tongue we never really had any written rules about what can or can't be said during the weeks, but i always thought it was pretty casual and the checkpoints were supposed to say "you can talk about this during this week" not "you can talk about this when you finish this week".
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »

Put three hours in so far, I think I'm almost at the wall fortress. I'm feeling a little lost though, a few areas in rapid succession with little exposition inbetween makes me feel like I may have skipped over something...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:38:07 PM by Silent Scythe » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 08:03:24 AM »

I put in a little time on the game last night and was able to
Spoiler (hover to show)
. I am enjoying the game pretty well so far, though I think the controls feel a bit "boxy" and rigid. Fighting can be a little clunky at times, but it's an interesting feature for an adventure game. I really like how you can save your game anywhere outside of towns and dungeons, but I'm a little weary of not being able to have multiple save files. However, since you are able to avoid almost all encounters and there are plenty of life/magic ups, I don't see myself getting stuck anywhere.

that's not how i always thought it works, because that means that the first week no one is allowed to post about story. as long as it's behind a spoiler tag i don't really see the issue, those who are playing ahead can always read them and those who aren't can come back to them later.

You are correct techwizard, and I forgot to mention that you can talk about the current week of the playthrough, as long as you use "spoiler" tags. Anything without spoiler tags that involves plot should be limited to weeks we have already played. If you are unsure, just put it in spoiler tags and we can them out if needed, or just send one of us a PM to ask. We aren't trying to limit game discussion, in fact, we love it, we just want to ensure that the game isn't spoiled for other playthrough members.

Put three hours in so far, I think I'm almost at the wall fortress. I'm feeling a little lost though, a few areas in rapid succession with little exposition inbetween makes me feel like I may have skipped over something...

Are you using the map screen? It throws up a flag and tells you directly where to go.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »

Just curious as to how everyone is progressing through the game. I'm now at the entrance to the section at the top of the island mountain. I think I'm fairly close to the checkpoint. Man, this game can be frustrating.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »

i'm still working on chrono trigger before i jump into this one but i will join in when i can!
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »

Just got to the check point last night.

Yeah, I agree with singlebanana, this game has a few quirks that brought me close to the breaking point. In the Wall Fort alone I:

Couldn't climb a flight of stairs because a large ogre enemy was stand at the top. (Like I couldn't get on the stairs AT ALL)
-And-
was expected to run down a hallway with wind blowing you back. Near the beginning you have to do this and dodge fire spouts and then fight a  small group of enemies. But as soon as you get on that screen the enemies lock on to you and rush you, which makes it hard to fight the wind and fire spouts. And if you just decide to fight them at the beginning of the hallway they respawn and begin the whole cycle over again.

Other than that the games so-so at this point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length