RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:15:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Opinions about emulation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Opinions about emulation  (Read 5732 times)
retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 02:04:25 PM »

I use flash carts for NES, Turbo, Genesis (SMS included + 32X) and SNES. Doesn't stop me from collecting by any means and I like these options so games like Tecmo Super Bowl 2015 can be played on NES hardware and on my CRT.

stillplayingnes
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »

I use flash carts for NES, Turbo, Genesis (SMS included + 32X) and SNES. Doesn't stop me from collecting by any means and I like these options so games like Tecmo Super Bowl 2015 can be played on NES hardware and on my CRT.

I picked up a NES Flashcart and it's actually encouraged me to purchase more physical carts.  I gotta try Tecmo Super Bowl 2015 at some point!
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 11:37:59 PM »

I had an original Xbox with every emulator from Atari 2600 to Nintendo 64 on it, with thousands of games to boot... that was 'til Microsoft bricked my console (this happened last year)

And that was mostly just a cost saving measure for me and because I didn't have much space at the time. I'm able to play the real deal now and I was never a big fan of emulators or games played on computers to begin with.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 06:28:18 PM »

I'd like to add something else: Emulation of hardware when one no longer owns a functioning system, though with legal software in place of ROMS.  For example, I can no longer play either my Sega CD nor Turbo CD games, though with the help of Kega and Magic Engine (respectively), I can continue to play Sonic CD and Final Zone II (?) when I want.  There is also DOS emulation, which is pretty much a necessity if you want to play old PC games and don't actually own a system that will run them. 

The process is ridiculously easy using the MechAssault method if you can put the save on it.

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but so I can play my Xbox Morrowind with loading times less than a minute.

Sometimes, the emulators give a better experience than the original console.

My favorite example of this is the PSX emulators.  After a bit of fiddling one can get interesting results, especially with some of the later polygonal games.  In the past there was some issue with legality due to needing an original BIOS to run the emulator, but recently PCSX has come packaged with a functioning emulated BIOS that plays all my games.  Very nice.  Makes getting screenshots for PSX games a million times easier.

you'll be disappointed. the loading time isn't that much better

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 06:43:46 PM »

I'd like to add something else: Emulation of hardware when one no longer owns a functioning system, though with legal software in place of ROMS.  For example, I can no longer play either my Sega CD nor Turbo CD games, though with the help of Kega and Magic Engine (respectively), I can continue to play Sonic CD and Final Zone II (?) when I want.  There is also DOS emulation, which is pretty much a necessity if you want to play old PC games and don't actually own a system that will run them. 

The process is ridiculously easy using the MechAssault method if you can put the save on it.

I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but so I can play my Xbox Morrowind with loading times less than a minute.

My favorite example of this is the PSX emulators.  After a bit of fiddling one can get interesting results, especially with some of the later polygonal games.  In the past there was some issue with legality due to needing an original BIOS to run the emulator, but recently PCSX has come packaged with a functioning emulated BIOS that plays all my games.  Very nice.  Makes getting screenshots for PSX games a million times easier.

Really?  Bummer.  Especially since the Xbox has the better menu system by a long shot.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »

I only really use emulators anymore to play fan translations of story heavy Japan exclusive games. I have quite a few visuals novels I want to try and get through, and there's a ton of those.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 10:34:08 PM »

Really?  Bummer.  Especially since the Xbox has the better menu system by a long shot.

yeah, I think they went for the "tablet" look for the 360 menu style, similar to Windows 8. I really miss the original menu for the 360 with the colored tabs

kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 01:40:06 PM »

emulation as a whole is fantastic and does a ton of good for preserving old titles in their original state and keeping them accessible. but the reason i have this many games and consoles is because i'd rather play on original hardware with standard controllers, as god intended. that said, my psp & wii are still full of roms just because i can.

from what i've tried, ps2 can do nes games just fine but snes games tend to have a sound lag. psp & wii seem to run gb, gba, nes, snes, smd & gen just fine. anything past that gen is just pushing your luck, but a decent modern pc can even emulate ps2 & wii games just fine.

ouya was supposed to be my go-to place for emulation but the controller is dealbreaker so don't even bother.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 03:03:14 PM »

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:06:41 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 11:55:11 PM »

emulation as a whole is fantastic and does a ton of good for preserving old titles in their original state and keeping them accessible. but the reason i have this many games and consoles is because i'd rather play on original hardware with standard controllers, as god intended. that said, my psp & wii are still full of roms just because i can.

from what i've tried, ps2 can do nes games just fine but snes games tend to have a sound lag. psp & wii seem to run gb, gba, nes, snes, smd & gen just fine. anything past that gen is just pushing your luck, but a decent modern pc can even emulate ps2 & wii games just fine.

ouya was supposed to be my go-to place for emulation but the controller is dealbreaker so don't even bother.

emulating a video game on a different platform from what the game was made for is like trying to play baseball with a hockey stick

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length