RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:51:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Nintendo Style by Russ lyman 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Nintendo Style by Russ lyman  (Read 1555 times)
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »

Hey guys I just finished shooting my ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. I added a twist. I set up a TV and a NES and played the first level of Super Mario Bros. and had buckets of ice water dumped on my head until I beat the level. check it out
http://youtu.be/YDgEw5Ofpug

http://www.alsa.org/donate/

Now your playing with power!
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:31:19 AM »

[img width=700 height=466]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/790f15624445cd7148141fce03f96ea3.jpg[/img]
[img width=700 height=466]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/26/bac418a0c166859b92faf45287b4288b.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:56:55 PM »

Had to watch with no sound because I'm at work but that was awesome dude.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »

I got a kick out of it. Nice twist.

Also highly amused at the NES controller making it thru the ice bath when new controllers can barely hold up to normal use.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:53:56 AM »

What, you were too embarrassed to wear that "Game Over" wedding t-shirt I sent you? I mean, if you're gonna humiliate yourself, you may as well dress the part...

Also highly amused at the NES controller making it thru the ice bath when new controllers can barely hold up to normal use.

"New" controllers like... oh, I don't know... Wavebirds, for example?  Tongue

As for my take on the ice-bucket-challenge phenomenon: I know it's for a good cause and all that, but... I find it just downright dumb. Probably due to my jaded and cynical nature I guess. I also live where water rationing has been put into effect due to drought, and such displays are seen as appallingly wasteful... and can be fineable offenses. It's kinda sad that you have to take things to this level to raise awareness of a degenerative disease. It's also getting so overexposed that it's not even all that interesting anymore, and people will completely forget about it by next year. But I guess the internet needed something to replace the Harlem Shake... which replaced Kony 2012... which replaced-- errr...

Hey, here's a fresh new angle to the deal: have people with ALS take the challenge. I wonder if Stephen Hawking would be up for it? 'Course, we'd have to completely seal his power chair and vocabulator thingy in glad-wrap first, but it could be doable. Now, that would be something I'd donate a few bucks to witness. And yes, I already know I'm going straight to hell for wanting to see that. I've known this for quite some time; no need to remind me yet again.

'Late
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »

i agree with zag here, ice bucket challenge is dumb. i have no issue with donating to charity, that part is great and it's awesome if a lot of people are doing that now, but i hate these stupid gimmicks that always come with this thing.

at least yours was unique russ, not trying to bash on you specifically just the whole fad in general.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 01:09:47 PM »

This might work....
[img width=526 height=275]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s526x296/10622805_10152338975036943_4344565406729176135_n.jpg?oh=52353462860104b737a2f29e5a07655b&oe=54802B19&__gda__=1417495714_1c670abe92b5a600b1bbfdb5336e12af[/img]

Worth noting i "liked" this on FB as well as the videos of people have put up of them being challenged. I am kind of in the same boat as Zag on this one. Good that people are doing good. But check out Charlie Sheen and Steve-O commentary to put things in perspective on the celebs who are doing it.

EDIT
Also worth noting. Russ did it the right way. He donated, said he donated AND included the link so others could donate should they so choose.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:44:12 PM by Izret101 » Logged

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:13:34 PM »

Thanks for the feed back guys. I agree as well on the whole thing being a fad. One of my friends in my car club has ALS so I know it's tough. He loves working on his car but only has use of one hand. He can't open or close the other, but this doesn't stop him.

I'm glad it is at least raising a ton more money than last year.

I figured I would put the twist since everyone's videos are pretty boring. Also half them don't even have ice in the damn bucket! Blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:05:32 PM »

The fads are annoying, but often effective. Awareness is as important as donations and this stupid thing is catching on.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »

Agreed, awareness and donations are the among the most important things. However, I think this ice bucket challenge has lost its meaning. It seems that it's now more of a crazy, fun thing to do to your friends. The cause and fundraising aspect is rarely in mind when people do it.

I overheard a conversation about this challenge where one guy reminded his friend he had to do it. The friend replied saying that he didn't want to do something stupid like that, to which the first guy says, "what? You'd do the $100 donation?"

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but the ice bucket challenge the cool, dudebro thing to do and a means of avoiding making a donation to worthwhile cause? I have friends who have done the challenge AND donated (which I commend), but why not just make the donation and get on social media to spread the message?

Enough cynical ranting. Russ that was fun to watch. Your twist on the challenge was very original. And it's awesome that you donated as well.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length