RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:10:51 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | The Small Gizmo-&-Gadget Scores thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: The Small Gizmo-&-Gadget Scores thread  (Read 89113 times)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »

Have you ever heard of Thorn? My mum has a 14" CRT TV of that brand.

Can't say that I have. While I can't really name most "off" brands I've encountered off the top of my head right now, I can usually recall them if I hear or read the brand in question. Since neither Orion nor Thorn rings a bell for me, I'm quite certain I've never encountered them in my thrift/charity-shop and yard sale runs.

Orion products were big in the 80s Zag. Fairly well built too, as my TV survived 2 lightning strikes.

Can it survive two earthquake strikes, though? 'Cuz that's the kinda TV set I'm lookin' for.
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »

I'm still not sure exactly what we're supposed to put up in this thread, but I figured, pictures! They're always fun.

The new kid on the block is using his larger brother to charge up before installation

We're thinking of re-doing our TV/stereo setup sometime over the next few months. Since there might be some dollars spent there I wanted to have a uninterruptible power supply to protect from the occasional power flicker or outage. We already had one for the desktop PC and it works great. This company, Cyberpower, makes the cheapest "pure sine wave" UPSs I know of. Sine waves are the kind of power you want to be sending the more sensitive electronics like computers and game systems. Most of the more commonly used UPSs I see don't actually output a sine wave but a stepped pattern wave........anyways, the kind I got is the better kind. I just got a smaller version of the one we use at the PC since I didn't think we needed the extra battery time for TV use.

It makes a very satisfying "click" when you go from this......

The router we've been using at home is second hand and a little problematic. For months my wife has wanted a new one and we finally got one. Home use routers are tough to buy, after reading reviews for most of the current ones, it seems like nobody likes routers, there are only ones that they dislike less. After finally figuring out which one we were getting, I figured I'd make use of it's USB 3.0 slot and buy a speedy flash drive. It claims to be "Read Up To 245MB/s; Write Up To 50MB/s" which seems fast to me, faster than most thumb drives anyways, a lot faster.

For posterity it's the, "SanDisk Extreme 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive"

......to this

Oh, and to all you guys buying Transformers toys, the new routers would fit right in, with their crazy antennas, wild angles and pretend carbon fiber......

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 07:09:30 PM »

Heya Nupes. Glad to see you making contributions here from time to time... even if I barely understood a fraction of what you just wrote.

Now, my good man, get ready to blow your... er, mind... when you see my latest number-cruncher pick-ups from the last couple days:

Mostly the usual suspects...

- TI-82, $3.49
- TI-83 Plus, $5.99
- Clear blue TI-83 Plus, $7.99
- HP 10B II, $2.49

- TI-89, $5.99: A pretty uncommon find among the TI-8X series of calculators in the second-hand scene.

- Seiko quartz metronome: Been finding electronic metronomes here and there lately, and I figured I'd need one to keep the beat when I finally get my NES Miracle Piano setup-- complete with foot pedal-- all ready to go.

'Late
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »

- Seiko quartz metronome: Been finding electronic metronomes here and there lately, and I figured I'd need one to keep the beat when I finally get my NES Miracle Piano setup-- complete with foot pedal-- all ready to go.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »

More number-crunching goodness, including my first TI-92 pickup:

Also found a couple of TI-85s, and a Realistic SCR-51 stereo cassette tape recorder with faux-leather cover that I plan to use when I finally grab a Starpath Supercharger to play my cassette games on. The player that is, not the faux-leather cover. (Smart-ass.)
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:37:23 PM »

Quote from: Zag
Heya Nupes. Glad to see you making contributions here from time to time... even if I barely understood a fraction of what you just wrote.
Oh, I know, glad you understand as much as you do. It's that writing style of mine, where it makes you wonder if I am going for my own unique 'voice' by breaking odd rules of speech and written English but in a way that is interesting and somehow fulfilling, mostly because it forces you to read it two or three times before it actually sinks in, with all the run-on sentences and liberal use of commas. Or is it that my writing often includes items which would sound strange if read out loud? But then, you wonder, maybe he's simply a bad writer, or a lazy one, or something................wait, you were saying that you didn't understand the items themselves, uh, that was just geeky computer stuff. Don't worry about it.

Quote from: 'norch

Oh! A Ti-92! I was wondering when you would get to show off one of those. That is some fine geeky hardware there I tell you. Are you going to get more or less than you do for the 85s and 89s when you sell it? When those were first out they were more.

Finally got to pick up this AudioQuest cable I special ordered last week from a high end AV store the next town over today.

It is a simple stereo mini (3.5mm) cable to upgrade the one that came with my headphones.

It replaces the smaller black one, the new one is only a little longer but way thicker

I tried to do a test where I recorded a bit of a song through the old cable, the same bit with the new one, inverted one track and listened to the difference. If there was no difference in the cables the tracks would cancel each other out and play nothing, but there was something. The new cable sounds different too in the little bit I've tested. Regardless, it will stand up to abuse better with me moving my headphones around from place to place all the time.

The test I did was something similar to this:

I'm not satisfied that this can be done accurately though. I'll play with that sort of thing more later.

http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/evergreen

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »

Quote from: Zag
Oh, I know, glad you understand as much as you do. It's that writing style of mine, where it makes you wonder if I am going for my own unique 'voice' by breaking odd rules of speech and written English but in a way that is interesting and somehow fulfilling, mostly because it forces you to read it two or three times before it actually sinks in, with all the run-on sentences and liberal use of commas. Or is it that my writing often includes items which would sound strange if read out loud? But then, you wonder, maybe he's simply a bad writer, or a lazy one, or something................wait, you were saying that you didn't understand the items themselves, uh, that was just geeky computer stuff. Don't worry about it.

NEVER, EVER tell me "don't worry about it," 'cuz it only makes me worry more.

Quote from: 'norch

Oh! A Ti-92! I was wondering when you would get to show off one of those. That is some fine geeky hardware there I tell you. Are you going to get more or less than you do for the 85s and 89s when you sell it? When those were first out they were more.

The TI-92 has proven a bit too interesting for me to divest... for now. Gonna spend a few more weeks fiddling around with it before I decide its fate.

Speaking of TI graphing calcs, I just ordered a really cool accessory that should arrive later this week. And in case you're wondering: no, it's not a set of interchangeable face plates. It's a bit more useful than that... I hope.

Finally got to pick up this AudioQuest cable I special ordered last week from a high end AV store the next town over today.

It is a simple stereo mini (3.5mm) cable to upgrade the one that came with my headphones.

It replaces the smaller black one, the new one is only a little longer but way thicker

Must resist the urge to reply with, "that's what she said"-- ah, son of a biscuit eater.

I tried to do a test where I recorded a bit of a song through the old cable, the same bit with the new one, inverted one track and listened to the difference. If there was no difference in the cables the tracks would cancel each other out and play nothing, but there was something. The new cable sounds different too in the little bit I've tested. Regardless, it will stand up to abuse better with me moving my headphones around from place to place all the time.

The test I did was something similar to this:

I'm not satisfied that this can be done accurately though. I'll play with that sort of thing more later.

http://www.audioquest.com/bridges-falls/evergreen

Oh wow, Crabs is branching out into audio equipment and accessories now, huh?  Tongue

Seriously, though... I'm guessing the sound quality is slightly better with the new cable? Maybe I should consider getting a pair of 'phones with an interchangeable cable, even if I'll just use 'em for listening to my MP3s. While I totally dig my current pair of Sony MDR-CD180s, I know the wires will eventually succumb to metal fatigue and gradually snap, usually at the jack end.

See you all next time when I get that accessory in.

- 'Late
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 07:12:03 PM »

Hey now!

As promised, here ya go:

Alongside yet another TI-85 and CI Qualifier Plus IIIx, I just got in a complete boxed TI Keyboard for my TI-84 Plus C.

Is this the awesomest thing ever, or what?

Grin

'Late
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »

Hey now,

A few of the usual suspects, and a couple new finds:

- TI-83 Plus

- TI BA II Plus Professional Edition: This is the first pro edition I've come across in my hunts.

- CI GradeMatic 4000: CI's big on specialized calculators, this one for school teachers.

- Texas Instruments PS-9500 TimeRunner: a relic of the days before mobile phones were able to keep track of your day and time.
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2014, 02:54:02 PM »

I bought this in a charity shop today for £2.95:

It seems to be working, but there's a problem. Undecided
It thinks all the lower buttons are being rapidly pressed, making it near impossible to do anything.
It also makes an annoying beep sound (intentionally) whenever a button is pressed which makes it worse. evilsad

I'll take it apart later to try and fix it.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »

@Zagnorch: I'd love more accessories for my TI-99. Let me know if you can figure out how to plug a calculator into it...

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »

@Zagnorch: I'd love more accessories for my TI-99. Let me know if you can figure out how to plug a calculator into it...

Wait'll ya see what I got you for XMas.

In the meantime, I stepped outside the TI/HP paradigm for a moment, and picked up this National Semiconductor Novus Statistician PR calc for $2.99:

And now, the usual suspects, with a little something different:

- TI BA-20 Profit Manager, $2.49: one of TI's under-the-radar offerings in their financial calculator line.

- Yet another TI-83 Plus, $3.99: Has a few dark spots on the screen. Otherwise, it works just fine.

- Sealed "gamer" calculator, $1.59: I had a loose one of these a little while back.

And ya gotta love the ON-OFF shoulder buttons:

Aaaand, finally: a USB Zip drive for $3.99. I needed this to transfer a couple dozen Zip disks to a thumb drive. A magnetic-media disk that could hold up to 250 MBs of photos, files, and what-have-you? Oh, how quaint...

'Late
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 11:56:27 PM »

Hello again.

Check this out:

What you're looking at is almost two decades of photos, documents, applications, and other stuff on 230 floppies and eight 100 MB zip disks. I've spent the last couple weeks transferring everything you see above onto this...

...an 8 GB thumb drive. And it all takes up just a quarter of the thumb drive's capacity. Just a comparison to show y'all how far data storage has come over the last quarter-century...
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 04:11:21 AM »

>
It truly is amazing, isn't it? Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length