RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Loose vs CIB 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Loose vs CIB  (Read 6928 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:00 AM »

I'm thinking about selling off everything i have that's loose, except anything expensive that would be cheaper to pick up the box/manual alone than CIB, and anything with sentimental value. For a while now i've been consistently hunting down everything CIB and only buying stuff CIB unless i see a really good deal or find something rare/expensive. I feel like i've gotten to the point where i would just rather clear out all the loose stuff and tidy up my collection to higher standards.

If i have the box/game, or manual/game then i would keep them (especially with box) and just fill in the blank later. i'm only talking about the true loose games in my collection.

what does RFG think about this, have many of you done this before? also what's the general concensus on saving money. would i be better off filling in the blanks for everything or should i just do that with the really pricy stuff and for everything else the difference isn't noticeable?

oh and i would probably throw in PC/GH variants too because i'm trying to replace them anyway.
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 12:23:33 AM »

That's a pretty solid plan I would say and very well thought out.  Go for it!  I too don't like PC/gh variants so I try to replace mine when I can and then I sell it other. But you have a good plan so you have my blessing ;-)

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:02:49 AM »

Honestly, what I plan on doing is selling off the orphan, especially if it's just the game, and just replacing it with a CIB version. For many games, the cost between loose and CIB is small, and I'd get what I want in the end.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »

This thread bring a tear to my eye. CIB OR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

This thread bring a tear to my eye. CIB OR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:26:38 AM »

Really depends what I am buying. If it comes to CIB, B meaning box, than I quite often buy loose. Trying to work on a library for NES, SNES or even N64, is difficult/expensive enough to try and track down boxes for every game. However, many games I want CIB and will either try and find a copy CIB before buying loose, but many times upgrade later from my loose copy.

Any other game system that sold games with some kind of plastic cases, is a different story for me. For any sega game (other than 32x), any PS 1,2,3 game, wii, WiiU etc, etc, I NEED to get it CIC (C meaning case, box doesn't sound right to me unless it's paper). Nothing drives me more crazy when buying vintage games is loose SMS, genesis and even DS games! They made cool plastic clamshell cases that the games fit inside. How does that get lost/thrown away?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:30:16 AM by EngineerMike » Logged

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 11:46:26 AM »

Mike - For the modern systems - The cases get tossed or as some parents have explained to me they get "lost." I dont ever by disc only unless its to fill an empty case or to replace a bad disc.

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »

agreed disc only is the worst, i think people often throw away the cases and put the discs in binders to save space.

@mike as for the expensive old boxes, i'm already going for a complete boxed set on N64, and with NES/SNES i'm only grabbing games i have interest in playing. so in terms of cost it's nothing too crazy, not like i'm going for a CIB NES set.
Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

I'm pretty much firmly in the CIB camp, particularly when it comes to disc-based medium. I never buy disc-only (like the silly disc-only PS2 games that Gamestop can't give away), too many problems with playing or reselling if that ends up being the case.

Although I do have a few disc-only in a generic case Sega CD games, but they were pretty hard to find in the wild and I just wanted to play them. I don't even really like cart-only for handhelds, and I have quite a few of those. nono

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »

removed everything i'm selling from my own collection lists, after lunch i'll start pricing things out.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »

My rule of thumb is that it if has an end label its acceptable as loose, it not it needs a box

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 05:18:38 PM »

That would work for me with all except 64 stuff. For me it is a matter of availability, stores never really carried the boxes and manuals for cartridge games, so I never bothered, but disc games were another story, so I go CIB with those always.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 05:37:24 PM »

That would work for me with all except 64 stuff. For me it is a matter of availability, stores never really carried the boxes and manuals for cartridge games, so I never bothered, but disc games were another story, so I go CIB with those always.

Yeah for stuff like N64, Virtual Boy, Handheld carts and Master System stuff I need to have a box because I can't grab them easily off the shelf. Even when it costs a lot more or I have to pass on loose ones.....with some exceptions (price or rarity).

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 08:22:19 PM »

priced out at least half of what i'm selling, some of them i didn't realize were worth as much as they are. in total my collection will be decreasing by about 110 or so, with some extra for sale that i've had set aside for a long time. pretty good considering that's out of 710 games or so before doing this.

i'll put up the for sale/trade thread when i have everything priced out, hopefully late tonight.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 10:58:23 AM »

http://www.rfgeneration.c...m/index.php?topic=11298.0

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length