RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:02:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | New 3DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: New 3DS  (Read 8783 times)
tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 10:15:33 PM »

The 3D face tracking thing is just what it needed. I play exclusively with it off because you can't move your head at all. I passed on the XL but they got my attention with this one.
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 11:15:48 PM »

That C Stick seems too small to be comfortable to use. Until Nintendo forces me to upgrade to the New 3DS I'll stick with my black 3DS XL.

There is an add-on called the Circle Pad that you might find more comfortable. It looks more comfortable to me, anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/Nin...p;keywords=3ds+circle+pad

The 3D face tracking thing is just what it needed. I play exclusively with it off because you can't move your head at all. I passed on the XL but they got my attention with this one.

If there's any big selling point for me, it's this. However, I'm in no big hurry to get one; I'll likely wait 'til after its first price-point drop, and/or there's a bundled edition with a game of interest. Sadly, the game will most likely be a downloadable version, and not a physical one...

UPDATE: Went back to the Kotaku piece, and noticed something I hadn't picked up on before, mainly because they weren't really discussed in the article: New 3DS now has two pairs of shoulder buttons.

[img width=636 height=358]http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--hxJoVUdP--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/sd966implyxgcdmlmhmr.png[/img]

BTW anybody here hoping that Mr. Iwata will do an unboxing video of the New 3DS?

Unboxing-- dare I say it-- like a boss.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:46:41 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2014, 12:03:30 AM »

My first thought when I saw that Nintendo announced the new 3DS was "Does Nintendo not want to sell another 3DS between now and when this thing debuts?"  Seriously, I had plans to buy a 3DS this holiday season, but now I'm going to wait for this new model.  That said, I think the fact that there are no plans to bring this to NA this holiday season means they want to squeeze one more Christmas of 3DS sales out of impatient adults and kids.

My next thought was to wonder if this more powerful processor was the one that Nintendo had in the pre-release demo units that all the reviewers loved.  Nintendo cut costs with a less powerful chip for the release models, and I wonder if we're seeing the original restored.

It's not all cynicism from me, though.  I think the improvements to new 3DS make a highly desirable unit.  One I will likely pick up.

CoinCollector
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2014, 01:00:50 PM »

My next thought was to wonder if this more powerful processor was the one that Nintendo had in the pre-release demo units that all the reviewers loved.  Nintendo cut costs with a less powerful chip for the release models, and I wonder if we're seeing the original restored.
Whoa, really??  Doesn't ring a bell, I must have missed that.

Weird they're upgrading it now though.  I'm sure Nintendo themselves are a pretty good judge of what should go in a new hardware revision, but it sure does seem like a bizarre & crazy move to put in a new processor and segment the 3DS spectrum.  Going to be really interesting to see how many games besides Xenoblade require it, how it affects sales, how this compares to whatever the "real" next platforms past 3DS and Wii U are.

Or if this is their actual next-gen handheld!  I doubt it though... "New 3DS" doesn't give them much room in naming upgrades anything less than a full on next-gen non-3DS handheld.

And I feel sorry for the more casual customers... must be a bit confusing at this point!

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »

My first thought when I saw that Nintendo announced the new 3DS was "Does Nintendo not want to sell another 3DS between now and when this thing debuts?"  Seriously, I had plans to buy a 3DS this holiday season, but now I'm going to wait for this new model.  That said, I think the fact that there are no plans to bring this to NA this holiday season means they want to squeeze one more Christmas of 3DS sales out of impatient adults and kids.

If I recall correctly, the 3DS debuted in late March 2011 in North America, one month after it was released in Japan. I  wonder why they couldn't do the same thing this time 'round. 'Course, that would translate to a mid-November release here; perhaps they feel like there isn't enough time between then and the start of the holiday shopping season to really promote the product? Or it could be the difficulty of trying to meet demand? Or maybe they fear the demand isn't quite there yet, since this release might be seen as a half-step-up to some-- like the DSi-- and people might be willing to wait it out. There are a lot of factors to consider.

It's not all cynicism from me, though.  I think the improvements to new 3DS make a highly desirable unit.  One I will likely pick up.

Like I stated earlier, I'll likely get an XL one eventually, too. And of course I'll grab a Nerf Armor cover to go with it, 'cuz that's how I roll...

UPDATE: New Nintendo 3DS now has a Wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Nintendo_3DS
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »

Rumor posted today that the device may not be region locked.

http://www.gamnesia.com/n...-3ds-is-not-region-locked

tactical_nuke
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »

Nintendo pulling out all the stops with this one.
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 12:57:26 PM »

Rumor posted today that the device may not be region locked.

http://www.gamnesia.com/n...-3ds-is-not-region-locked

Looks like we're SOL on that one, at least according to this:

http://kotaku.com/nintend...ol-still-sucks-1630311593
Guru
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 07:33:16 AM »

Personally it's just pretty aggravating that they release a new version or two every year. I don't like feeling out dated and that is all that seems to happen with the DS. I had the original, they release the DSi. I get the DSi. They come out with the 3DS. I trade up for one of those, then the 3DS XL comes. Now this one. :/
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »

The new 3DS looks interesting, but looks more as a attempt to call a redesign a new system, much as Apple has done a million times with their iPad.  I think if the big N wants people outside of the "gotta get it all" crowd they need to make sure they have a solid hand and are not bluffing.  Otherwise, I would love to be able to pick up a 3DS XL at a reduced price.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Surprised many here don't seem to grasp the magnitude of the new direction Nintendo is taking their update philosophy.

This should really be called the 4DS, or just anything except "new 3DS" which is confusing and highly misleading. Especially for all the old and non-tech people who will be buying games for their children.

Ever since the dawn of time, Nintendo has updated their handhelds but kept everything compatible. The GBA SP doesn't have exclusive games. The DS Lite didn't have exclusive games. The 3DS XL didn't have exclusive games. But this thing will! (Yes, the DSi *did* have exclusive games, but those were stupid download-only games)

Using brilliant marketing, Nintendo has released a whole new handheld without pissing off their loyal followers who opened their wallets for the 3DS XL less than a year ago. This is not the same thing as the DS -> DS Lite or 3DS -> 3DS XL updates. Those were optional. This update will become mandatory.

I'm surprised the backlash isn't bigger. I think it will be once they release a new Pokémon/Zelda/Mario/... for the "new" 3DS and people finally wake up and realize that their 3DS XL can't play those games.

The whole point of consoles/handhelds is to have a system that remains compatible with all games released for that system for several years. Imagine if every time Sony/Microsoft updated the PS3/360, the latest version had exclusive games!

EDIT: as for the hardware itself. Nintendo has once again foolishly failed to include the much needed second analog stick. No, that tiny IBM-style nipple won't do. If there's room for the analog stick and the D-pad on the left side of the screen, surely they could fit an analog stick and the face buttons on the right side!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:20:39 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »

Sirgin - just to clarify, the DSi had exclusive physical releases here in the US at least. There weren't many, but they exist.
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-160-S-00030-A

[img width=602 height=550]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-160/bf/U-160-S-00030-A.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:26:38 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »

Sirgin - just to clarify, the DSi had exclusive physical releases here in the US at least. There weren't many, but they exist.
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/w...endo_DSi#Software_library
Database entries
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:33:48 PM by mumboking » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »

We win, since we have Hidden Photo and Wikipedia does not. Wait, what were we discussing again?

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 05:02:45 PM »

Didn't know that.

But atleast they called the DSi the "DSi" and not just the "new DS". That indicates that something has changed. Using the word "new" is very misleading, as people will think it's just a 3DS. In a few years, people will be referring to it as just the "3DS", which will add to the confusing.

I wouldn't have minded at all had Nintendo come out and said "this is the XDS, it's our new handheld. Oh, it's backwards compatible with 3DS." That would have been cool.

The Xbox One is another incredibly daft name. Check out this Xbox 1 game! No wait, I meant the original Xbox. Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length