RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:37:02 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December 2014 Retro Shmup Suggestions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: December 2014 Retro Shmup Suggestions  (Read 7183 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« on: September 12, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

As some of you might remember, there was some talk on the Playthrough Suggestion thread about having a month dedicated to shmups. Thank you EngineerMike for the excellent suggestion! The Playthrough Group discussed this idea and we feel that December would be a great month to host this competition.....Yes, COMPETITION!!! Last December, we had great success with a beat 'em competition involving the Streets of Rage series and we thought it might be really cool to do something similar this year. As you know, the holidays are a busy time for everyone, so what better way to unwind than to spend a session blowing things up!

We are asking that all of you share your recommendations for games that we play and I will keep track of them in this initial post. Similar to our Streets of Rage Challenge, we will be playing 4 games during the month (1 per week) and concluding with another Royal Rumble where all games can be played for a few days. We are going to mix it up a bit (again suggested by EngineerMike) and play one game on the NES, one on the Genesis, one on the SNES, and one on the PSX. These seem to be the most common systems that members own and hopefully this will increase participation. Please remember that we are playing 4 games this month (not to mention the game(s) on the modern side), so please make sure that all of your suggestions are affordable.

Once we have complied a list, I will set up the polls so that we can vote on a game for each system. Thanks for the suggestions we already got from the other thread, I will post them below:

FINAL RESULTS
Gradius (NES)
U.N. Squadron (SNES)
Lightening Force (Genesis)
Raycrisis (PSX)

NES
Zanac
Gradius
Dragon Spirit
Gun.Smoke
Stinger
Guardian Legend
Star Soldier

SNES
Gradius III
Darius Twin
Super R-Type
U.N. Squadron
Super Nova
Phalanx
Raiden Trad
Thunder Spirits

Genesis
Truxton
Phelios
Wings of Wor
Steel Empire
Thunder Force II
Thunder Force III
Lightening Force
Hellfire
Sol-Deace

PSX
G Darius
Raycrisis
Gekioh
R-Types
Mobile Light Force
Raiden Project
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:24:36 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »

Racketboy has this big list of PS1 shooters. Not all of them had international releases.

http://www.racketboy.com/...d-shooters-shmups-library

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »

Racketboy has this big list of PS1 shooters. Not all of them had international releases.

http://www.racketboy.com/...d-shooters-shmups-library

I know of a few decent ones, just letting others chime in. Wink

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:47:13 PM »

G Darius is one i've played a bit of and it seemed pretty good, it's a PS1 game.
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »

I strongly recommend U.N. Squadron for SNES and Thunder Force III for Genesis. Glad to see Thunder Force II up there. That game never gets enough love. Easily my favorite shmup.

I know SMS isn't an option, but Transbot is pretty good.

EDIT - I know a lot of people dislike it, but I think Silver Surfer is a pretty good shmup. It's not as hard as everyone thinks it is. It's one of those games that if you're fully powered up and you know what to expect, it's kinda easy to stay alive.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:55:17 PM by JerryGreenwood » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 02:55:44 PM »

EDIT - I know a lot of people dislike it, but I think Silver Surfer is a pretty good shmup. It's not as hard as everyone thinks it is.

We're trying to keep people liking us JerryGreenwood.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:46:56 PM »

Hey the music kicks ass!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »

Awesome! Well done singlebanana! I see I am going to have to try and track down some shmups before December. Especially, the Genesis ones. As soon as the poll results are up, I guess a guy will know what he needs.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:35:36 PM »

My brother played Silver surfer like crazy growing up, never could beat that game. I stink at Shmups and never could get past the first few levels on that game, much less any other. Galactic attack on the Saturn was the only one I could get halfway decent at.

Were there any major changes to Gradius III on ports? I own Gradius III & IV (PS2) and am wondering if the scoring and such is the same.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:38:10 PM by Boshamp » Logged

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »

Awesome! Well done singlebanana! I see I am going to have to try and track down some shmups before December. Especially, the Genesis ones. As soon as the poll results are up, I guess a guy will know what he needs.

it'll be narrowed down to 4 by the end of the poll vote, one for each week Smiley
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »

Blazing Lazers on the Turbo Grax and Lords of Thunder on the Turbo CD are a couple of my favorites, but just because of the platforms might be harder to get participation.

Some more accessible ones I'd play through with you guys would be:

NES:
Zanac
Gun Smoke

SNES:
UN Squadron
Super R-Type
Darius Twin

Genesis:
Lightening Force

PS:
Raystorm
Thunderforce
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 05:27:01 PM by Crabmaster2000 » Logged

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 08:51:30 PM »

NES
Stinger
Guardian Legend
Life Force
Star Soldier

Genesis
Sol-Deace (Sol-Feace for SEGA CD is the same)
Hellfire

SNES
Super Nova

PlayStation
Einhander

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »

Looks like its that time again. This guy came from a dumpster.

[img width=700 height=525]http://i.imgur.com/rLgD9XO.jpg[/img]

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 04:54:48 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but please keep in mind the cost. Einhander is typically a $50+ title.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but please keep in mind the cost. Einhander is typically a $50+ title.

Magical Chase!!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length