RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:22:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 26 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 26  (Read 15836 times)
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »

Bill was talking about new price sticker. I think he was referring to the HOT NEW sticker that was placed on new revisions of the Midway games. Original version issues:

- Mortal Kombat Gold (Music skips and game can freeze)
- Hydro Thunder (had problems saving when trying to save on an almost full VMU)
- Ready 2 Rumble (Music skips)
- NFL Blitz 2000 (nobody really bothers about the glitch).

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 01:08:45 PM »

Bill was talking about new price sticker. I think he was referring to the HOT NEW sticker that was placed on new revisions of the Midway games. Original version issues:

- Mortal Kombat Gold (Music skips and game can freeze)
- Hydro Thunder (had problems saving when trying to save on an almost full VMU)
- Ready 2 Rumble (Music skips)
- NFL Blitz 2000 (nobody really bothers about the glitch).

I didn't realize that multiple games had these issues, I thought it was just MK Gold

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »

There is a dirty joke i heard ages ago involving a drunk sailor....

Still haven't given it a listen yet. Mayhap tonight!

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »

I'm just an hour and a half in. Never the less, thanks guys for helping fill me in on the all-too-brief glory days of Sega's last crack at staying in the hardware market. I wasn't tracking the vidya scene at all between the mid-90s and late 2000s, and the Dreamcast was right in the middle of this personal zone of ignorance. And while I've read up on the Dreamcast from other sources over the last several years I've been a serious collector, it's always good to hear some fresh viewpoints on the deal.

I'll try to dig into the second half when I have some time free from work... and sleeping... and bargain-hunting... and maybe even actually playing a game or two (stranger things have happened).

'Late
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »

Quick correction

Jap to US name:

Dynamite Dekka 2 = Dynamite Cop
Dynamite Dekka = Die Hard Arcade

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=J-060-S-01435-A
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=J-071-S-00910-A

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 05:39:43 PM »

Duke.Togo: Wrong again.

Pen Pen Triicelon is a great game.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »

Duke.Togo: Wrong again.

Pen Pen Triicelon is a great game.

Let's agree to disagree.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

I had the keyboard and used it with PSO all the time.  I played PSO, NFL2k, and one of the World Series Basbeall 2k games online.  Some of my favorites were: Chu Chu Rocket, PSO, Sonic Adventures, Crazy Taxi, Floigan Brothers Episode 1, Grandia II, Jet Grind Radio, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Shenmue,  Virtua Tennis, and the best, Mr. Leonard Nimoy in Seaman!  And the fishing reel controller ROCKED!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 11:27:23 PM »

Surprised you guys missed a snarkily mentioned launch of the PSX in North America during the intro (9-9-95).

I ignored the Dreamcast at launch for some reason (blame FFVIII and anticipation for Chrono Cross), but I did end up buying one the night of the PS2 launch.  I was so disappointed in the launch titles on the PS2 that instead of going to Funcoland and picking one up (I had an insider who offered to hold one) I went to a Meijer and bought a Dreamcast (Smash Pack Bundle) along with Skies of Arcadia and never regretted it.  Amazing system.  The only thing I really disliked was the controller.  It just felt a step back from the offering on the Saturn (with the 3D controller).  Imagine what could have happened with two extra buttons on the face of it.  Oh, and the Dreamcast was the loudest system I owned until I bought a Xbox 360.

I think the Dreamcast was the only system in the "Sixth Generation" that I enjoyed right out of the box.  PS2 was boring (it was used as a DVD player until Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 released), the Gamecube was really boring (and looked like a box of facial tissues), and the Xbox was just huge (I refused to buy one until the Controller S was included with the system).  I think I found a off-brand VGA box pretty early on, so I was able to play games on my LCD monitor at 640x480.  Shenmue and Zombie Revenge on the VGA box are a sight to behold.

UPDATE: I feel you totally hit the nail on the head with the comment on momentum and Sonic Adventure, bil, but I feel the real speedbump was those stupid city sections.  And Big The Cat?  He can fish!  I beat SA and after spend ten minutes fishing with Big The Cat after restarting.  I turned it off after that, but it was great until then.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:35:29 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 11:45:32 PM »

Loved this episode.

BUT......Bil......

You said that NEITHER Marvel vs Capcom game on the PlayStation or MvC2 on the ps2 supported full character swapping.......

I'm here to tell you that you are absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, completely wrong and should be ashamed of yourself for spreading such misinformation.  On a platform as far reaching and influencial as the collectorcast, one would assume you'd show more responsibility and do some research.

Seriously though, MvC2 on the ps2 supports full character swapping and in my opinion is the definitive version of the game.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 11:57:41 PM »

...you'd show more responsibility and do some research.

I would add something here, but my mother taught me right.  Plus, think how much would be lost from the podcast if they started doing spellchecks and factchecks.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 07:56:01 AM »

Thanks for another great episode and trip down memory lane.

I imported an Asian Dreamcast for $300 in Dec 1998 with Sonic Adventure. We hooked it up at my friends game store and played for hours... I remember importing HOTD 2, Soul Calibur, Power Stone.

I always thought it would be great to own a Divers 2000 version of the Dreamcast. It reminded me of the Sharp NES TV.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 08:07:26 AM »

My fondest memory of the Dreamcast was when EB was closing them out for $20 a pop. I believe I bought at least three, and a few of my friends saw me walking around the mall that day with a stack of Dreamcasts. Now it's almost an unrban legend. People who I don't remember seeing that day will say "Shawn loves the Dreamcast! I remember when he bought like ten of them!"

Crabby nailed it on the head with Powerstone 2. What an amazing multiplayer game.

Also Crabs, you mentioned Gum as a character in Space Channel 5 but I believe you were thinking about Gum from Jet Set Radio:

Great show guys.

retrosportsgamer
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »

Agetec made the arcade stick for Sega, so technically first party but they farmed out the work.

Got about an hour left, here's a peripheral you didn't mention: the Ascii 6-button fighter pad. I enjoy fighters using a pad vs. the stick so this is a must for the DC. Wasn't released in the US and there are actually a couple different colors out there (white, black, blue for the Capcom and SNK games).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:57:58 AM by retrosportsgamer » Logged

Mod @racketboy , twitter: @brad21126

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »

Loved this episode.

BUT......Bil......

You said that NEITHER Marvel vs Capcom game on the PlayStation or MvC2 on the ps2 supported full character swapping.......

I'm here to tell you that you are absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, completely wrong and should be ashamed of yourself for spreading such misinformation.  On a platform as far reaching and influencial as the collectorcast, one would assume you'd show more responsibility and do some research.

Seriously though, MvC2 on the ps2 supports full character swapping and in my opinion is the definitive version of the game.

I must have been thinking of the PSX version that didn't have the swapping.  What makes the PS2 version the definitive version?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length