RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:16:28 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Lifespan for the NES era? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Lifespan for the NES era?  (Read 4041 times)
stillplayingnes
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:41:44 AM »

This is somewhat of a morbid question but I think about it a bit.

Do you think in our lifetime(lets say your the age of those who grew up with the NES) we'll see a time when NES carts and NES consoles cease to work?

I have electronics from the 60s and 70s that still work, although in the case of a few guitar amps they needed many parts changed to continue to work today.
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:37:28 AM »

I cannot think there is a reason for them not to work over time. The systems themselves will probably always wear with enough use and since there are parts directly connected to the power supply, surges are a risk and can damage them, either needing parts to repair or replaceable by systems like the Retrons; but I don't think the games would wear in the same way, and I wouldn't think would get damaged unless a surge can travel through the system into the game.

Thinking deeply into it, would NES carts have voltage regulators or surge suppressors within them? Those are the only electronics I can think of with unstable elements in them that degrade over time. Even then though, most voltage regulators and surge suppressors still work just fine even after the cobalt or krypton within them have degraded past their half-life cycles.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »

Philosophically, its all dust on a timeline. Battery-backups aside, solid-state electronics from the sixties on up have a generally good lifespan if there are no moving mechanical parts or power surges, but it'll all wear down eventually. Best to mentally and physically treat it as such.

Just my thoughts. Smiley

Keelah se'lai
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »

I would think the main point of failure beyond the pin connector would be the capacitors, which are easily replaceable as they aren't surface mount. I have no fear that these will continue on well past my lifespan.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »

isn't there still electrical technology from the early days of electricity functioning fine in museums and the like? i'm pretty sure that what doesn't last could be fixed, and even what can't be fixed can be remade (retron 5 etc). NES specifically has way too much notoriety and fame to ever truly die, but lesser known consoles could be another story.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:07 PM »

FDS has been on the outs for awhile now hasn't it?
Fragile and not enough market for replacements.

I'm sure there are other examples of rare-er systems where the pool of availability has begun to dwindle over the years do to lack of popularity, obscurity and/or rarity.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 10:14:35 PM »

I'm sure there are other examples of rare-er systems where the pool of availability has begun to dwindle over the years do to lack of popularity, obscurity and/or rarity.
How about the RDI Halcyon?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 12:25:28 AM »

I had that written up but then went on a tangent about other stuff not related to hardware malfunctions.
R-Zone is what primarily sent me on the tangent Wink

I delete far more than i ever post.

stillplayingnes
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 07:46:48 AM »

What do you guys think about CRT TVs?  Ticking time bombs?
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »

Certainly these will require maintenance to replace faulty parts, but a well kept CRT with no burn in should be repairable for quite some time. The challenge will be finding people knowledgable in repairing them.

ApolloBoy
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »

Thinking deeply into it, would NES carts have voltage regulators or surge suppressors within them?
Uh no, NES carts are essentially just a few chips with a handful of resistors and caps (and in some cases a lithium battery). I take it you've never seen what an NES cart looks like on the inside?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=ApolloBoy[/img]
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »

No, I have not. Smiley

mumboking
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 01:46:46 PM »

No, I have not. Smiley
If this site allows hotlinking, you will see an image below...
[img width=538 height=316]http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/editorials-davidnesconvert002.jpg[/img]
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 04:09:54 PM »

Wow...that is a LOT less than I figured would be under the shell. Thank you for sharing.

mumboking
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »

Wow...that is a LOT less than I figured would be under the shell. Thank you for sharing.
There are ROM chips on the other side of the PCB...
This is interesting: http://multimedia.cx/nesgallery/
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length