RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:59:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: October Retro Community Playthrough - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 70473 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #210 on: October 16, 2014, 09:08:16 AM »

Eh, the gravity boots (we can talk about them, since they are in the first castle Wink ) can be more annoying that useful at times. Lots of high ledges that don't lend well to double jumps and areas where touching the ground
Spoiler (hover to show)
can be really dangerous. I think the game could have been a little better laid out so that getting through the inverted castle isn't so annoying. My only real complaint though. I do love this game!

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #211 on: October 16, 2014, 01:19:57 PM »

i found the gravity boots didn't make a noticeable difference, like it maybe added a minor extra height to the jump but not much
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »

i found the gravity boots didn't make a noticeable difference, like it maybe added a minor extra height to the jump but not much

Were you using them right? They don't add to your jump at all, but if you press down, then up and the jump button quickly, you will shoot straight up really high and stick to the ceiling for a moment.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #213 on: October 16, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »

Were you using them right? They don't add to your jump at all, but if you press down, then up and the jump button quickly, you will shoot straight up really high and stick to the ceiling for a moment.

wow really? it would be great if the game explained these things, because the description of it totally implied to me that it just gave a passive increase to your jump height.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2014, 01:31:34 PM »

wow really? it would be great if the game explained these things, because the description of it totally implied to me that it just gave a passive increase to your jump height.

There are other shoes in the game as well called the Secret Boots, which I do believe increase your height a little per the description. The Gravity Boots are what make you shoot up really high and stick to the ceiling. They are a relic, not an equipped item.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2014, 02:19:09 PM »

Yep. I had them for most of the game but never knew how to use them.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »

It's not useful with a low/normal ceiling, but if you're in an area with a lot of space above you it's fun (and much faster) to zip around with the gravity boots.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »

It's not useful with a low/normal ceiling, but if you're in an area with a lot of space above you it's fun (and much faster) to zip around with the gravity boots.

You kind of have to use it in conjunction with the double jump to reach platforms, since you basically just shoot straight up, stick to the ceiling, and then fall back down.

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2014, 03:33:03 PM »

I always usually double jump and then go to bat form and right back out of it for the extra couple inches I need most of the time for those slightly out of reach platforms. The Secret boots stretch the sprite to make Alucard a little taller, but do not actually give you any benefit to jumping height.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2014, 09:47:24 PM »

I think he means when you fight the Werewolf and Mino
Today I got to the Colluseum and started fighting Belmont's monsters.  Should I not be fighting him yet?

If you are at the point I think, you don't even fight Richter. Belmont's monsters = Werewolf and Minotaur?

Yeah that's right.  So I can just fight those dudes and move on?

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #220 on: October 17, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »

Yup

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2014, 06:17:30 AM »

I've just noticed something. Can anyone identify the Wizard of Oz tribute in this game?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:14 AM »

I've just noticed something. Can anyone identify the Wizard of Oz tribute in this game?

Yep, the enemies in the inverted castle library (lion, scarecrow, tin man (machine)). Good call! Never noticed that before. What's a "schmo" though? Ha!

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »

You got it! The R2-D2-like garbage can with an axe gave it away. I never paid attention to his name until last night.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #224 on: October 17, 2014, 10:08:21 AM »

You got it! The R2-D2-like garbage can with an axe gave it away. I never paid attention to his name until last night.

I never put this together and honestly when you said something, those enemies just popped in my head as if were as clear as day. The Wizard of Oz has had a profound impact on several medias around the world. One I remember quite clearly from grad school were well-hidden allusions to it in Rushdie's "The Satanic Verses." Funny, but the book is actually not about Satanism at all. I remember my mother freaking out about it when I mentioned that I was reading it. Ha!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length