RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:10:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Making your own Genesis boxes for certain games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Making your own Genesis boxes for certain games?  (Read 1681 times)
stillplayingnes
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »

One of the things I like about my Genesis collection is I've tried to purchase boxed cartridges.  For one they look nicer on the shelf and two I think the clam shells protect the cart to a certain degree.

Now there are a few titles I want to play.  Splatterhouse 2, Splatterhouse 3, and Musha for example.  Going the cart only route is about half the price.  I have universal game cases that I printed covers off cover project and made decent looking boxes for my NES collection.  Now the cheapskate in me thinks why not just do that for these few expensive Genesis games I want.  The collector/librarian in me says, "no everything must be uniform!"

What do you guys do?  Waiting on a deal on these three games could take awhile and in that time frame I could buy just the carts an actually enjoy playing them .

This is the collector/gamer struggle I go through.  I know price wise those three games are laughable compared to some of the NES titles out there, but I respect the opinions of the collectors on this board very much.
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »

With my more expensive Genesis titles that are cart only (I don't have any of the three you named, mind you), I just display them cart only for the time being as I picked them up cheaply. I may at some point, make boxes for them, but I don't mind the difficult to find games being cart only, despite the fact that I much prefer purchasing Genesis titles in box.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

same as zcrich01, i'm more willing to settle for cart only games if it would be extremely expensive to get them CIB, but i still keep a lookout for deals on filling in the blanks later.
RetroExplorer
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »

Why not just get a normal genesis case and print the label. Most of them on the label project are exact scans of the actual covers. I've printed quite a few covers from there and if you get the right paper thickness and a laser printer it can be hard to tell its not original from a distance. Just treat them as place holders till you get the actual ones. Smiley

If you need legit genesis cases, hit me up.
stillplayingnes
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:11:54 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys.  I was leaning towards just getting the carts and using the universal game carts, but Mechblue you have a great point.  Once I do actually pick up these carts I may be hitting you up for cases.
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:38 AM »

Buy sports games and use their cases.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 08:14:59 AM »

Not a bad idea, since you can always find a random copy of Madden 90-something at just about every thrift store in the world for a buck.
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

Not a bad idea, since you can always find a random copy of Madden 90-something at just about every thrift store in the world for a buck.
If I were to use a case from another game, I'd be sure to use the right type. Not all cases are the same *Points at EA releases*.
RetroExplorer
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »

If I were to use a case from another game, I'd be sure to use the right type. Not all cases are the same *Points at EA releases*.

Something to also note is not just the EA games for their cart size, but etched in the plastic is usually the developer / publisher. Some will say SEGA or Konami, etc. Worth keeping an eye out so it matches your game.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length