RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:15:37 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | November Modern Community Playthrough - System Shock 2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: November Modern Community Playthrough - System Shock 2  (Read 20383 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »

The first half hour or so of the game has no combat and consists of tutorials and spec'ing out your character. Take the time then to get used to the controls. If you don't like it at first try changing the mouse sensitivity in the options menu. I never play games on PC either and I got used to it pretty quickly.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 12:34:06 PM »

what grayghost said, PC is all about customizability. if you don't like the feel of the game, make the game fit what works for you.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

I got started on this over the weekend.  I was really put off by the game at first, so much so that I almost gave up on it.  This game can be pretty complicated with all of the different items you find and the stats and abilities you can spec, and I wasn't sure what would be good to invest in.  It also felt pretty dated by today's standards, which is a given for an FPS that came out in 1999, but in my opinion System Shock 2 feels even more dated than Half-Life, which came out a year earlier.

Anyway, before giving up on the game, I checked out a Youtube video of someone (who knew what they were doing) playing through the opening parts of the game, and I also checked out a couple of FAQs detailing all of the different skills and attributes, as well as many of the other finer points of the game.  After starting a new game, I'm enjoying it much more on my second attempt.  I'm not following a walkthrough, but I still have to refer to a FAQ pretty often just to know what certain items and abilities do, and to know what skills are worth upgrading.

With that being said, I'm really enjoying this game now and have become pretty engrossed by it.  Despite being 15 years old, this game is still genuinely creepy/scary, even more so that most of the more recent horror games that I've played lately.

techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »

I should be starting on this soon too now that I'm finished Super Metroid. i'll probably need to use a skill/attribute FAQ as well, I always feel like that isn't really cheating so much as just getting explanations that the game should be giving you but doesn't.
samus5678
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 10:28:05 PM »

I started the game during the weekend, gotten to the cargo bays on the 2nd deck, I found that my history of MMOs (mainly EVE) helped me with figuring out the different key combos (also rebinding WASD helped) and screen management.

Right now for my first impression, I'd have to agree with Yahtzee from The Escapist.
(warning: language)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 10:48:07 AM »

I'm glad you guys are jumping in already and sounding off here. Like I said in the OP, this game is way deeper and more complex than I, for one, am used to.

I'm also glad to hear you guys are open to using guides. I really think they are a necessity with this game.

The good news is this games is pretty short (8-10 hours), and we have all month, so take your time.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »

Glad to see good participation on this thread and that people are enjoying it. Smiley  I like what Disposed wrote about being frustrated at first and then going and watching a video to help understand the game a little more. Games are about having fun, so do what you need to do to have fun, whether it be watch videos or add mods. No one is going to judge you for it here. Have fun guys, wish I had a gaming PC; since Super Metroid is already in the can, I would have definitely joined.  Oh well, going to get some shmup practice in to kick all of your a@#es in December. *pew* *pew* 

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »

Are you guys having as much fun with this game as I am?  I'm actually surprised by just how much I am enjoying this game.  I'm having a hard time putting it down.

I've already passed the Week 1 checkpoint and am well into Deck 3.  Won't be long before I finish that up and head to Deck 4....

Has anybody here invested into Psionics at all?  I haven't.  I've been putting my points into hacking, maintenance, and weapon skills instead.  I'm curious to try out Psionics because it looks like there are some useful skills there.

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 11:24:38 AM »

I have also been going more for hacking, etc ahead of Psionics. I feel like you're better off, though some of the later tier Psi powers seem like they'll be awesome.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 12:26:08 PM »

If I ever replay this game (which would be at least a couple years from now), I think I'll attempt a Psionic-heavy build and see how that goes.

Right now I'm progressing through Deck 4.  I hit the big plot point, but I've known about the plot twist there forever so it wasn't a surprise for me.  I think it's pretty much common knowledge at this point, at least in the gaming community.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »

I hit the big plot point, but I've known about the plot twist there forever so it wasn't a surprise for me.  I think it's pretty much common knowledge at this point, at least in the gaming community.

Not for me.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »

I hit the big plot point, but I've known about the plot twist there forever so it wasn't a surprise for me.  I think it's pretty much common knowledge at this point, at least in the gaming community.

Not for me.

me neither, i've actually never even heard of this game until it was suggested as a playthrough.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »

Hmm.... I guess it's not as well known as I thought then.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »

If the twist is...

Spoiler (hover to show)

This game is living up to GrayGhost's description. It's tough. That's actually untrue, it's unfair. The enemies seem to have a much better reach with melee attacks than the character does.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2014, 05:46:38 PM »

Floyd, that's not the twist.

Let's all take it easy with the twist. I haven't even posted week two's checkpoint yet.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length