RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 02:56:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Atari 2600 Trouble 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Atari 2600 Trouble  (Read 6288 times)
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »

That's what I thought, too, but I've looked all over the motherboard, and I can't find any solder points that appear damaged in any way. By all appearances, the board looks perfect.

Have you played Atari today?

Sega does what Nintendon't.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - Smash T.V.

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »

At any rate, I believe this is far beyond my ability to repair, so I have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

The picture remains snowy, and the sound annoyingly filled with static, no matter what game I put in.

The game select switch also sometimes makes the picture clearer, but I have no idea why.

My conclusion is this Light Sixer is nothing more than a clunker, good for display and nothing more. Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 01:44:28 PM by leej07 » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »

you could probably find someone to do the repairs for you, if not locally then i'm sure someone on here would be willing if you don't mind paying round trip shipping on it.
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »

you could probably find someone to do the repairs for you, if not locally then i'm sure someone on here would be willing if you don't mind paying round trip shipping on it.

I doubt I can afford to pay someone to fix it.
I still have no idea what the problem is. If it is the RF modulator, then why do all three switches on the right of the cart slot cause the picture to screw up, but the three switches on the left don't cause any problem? I've been told it's a solder problem, but surely the RF modulator and three right switches don't share the same solder points? The thing is acting like wires are crossed somehow.

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »

Ok, it gets even weirder.

Sitting the system upeneded on its front, with the back facing upward, the games work perfectly. I can manipulate all switches, and the screen does not go out. Sitting it upright in the proper manner, everything goes haywire. I'm beyond confused now, but I'm giving up the hunt for info. Thanks for the tips, though. At least I found a bizarre way to play atari.

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

Eh, I'll be remaining on the lookout for a third 2600.

Third time's the charm, as they say.

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »

UPDATE: I feel like an idiot. I just decided to try swapping the small tv switch box from the one I've been using to the one that came with the Light Sixer... It now works perfectly, except for a little static.
I have no idea why the Light Sixer acts up so badly with the other box, and I don't care. I wish I had tried this simple solution hours ago.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:48:56 PM by leej07 » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2014, 02:43:52 PM »

You say that bumping it makes the screen go crazy... Sounds like a loose solder joint.

I agree. Depending on how bad your solder joints are, sometimes you can simply touch the top of them with a hot soldering iron tip and clean them up without adding solder.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »

You say that bumping it makes the screen go crazy... Sounds like a loose solder joint.

I agree. Depending on how bad your solder joints are, sometimes you can simply touch the top of them with a hot soldering iron tip and clean them up without adding solder.

I'll keep that in mind. For now, swapping the tv switch box appears to have alleviated the problem. I'll be watching this system closely to see if the problem crops up again.

Like I said, this Light Sixer is very finicky.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:50:43 PM by leej07 » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 02:50:39 PM »

I'll keep that in mind. For now, swapping the tv switch box appears to have alleviated the problem. I'll be watching this system closely to see if the problem crops up again.

Whoa! You're using the old switch box?  That could be part of your issue. Go to Radio Shack and pick one of these up (an RCA to RF TV adapter. No need for that box with this direct connection adapter.

[img width=600 height=800]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-bdpEn886Ihg/TvlGRZnXLjI/AAAAAAAAChk/JUW0FWbILRQ/s1600/15-Radio+Shack+Coax+Coaxial+to+RCA+Adapter+Connector.JPG[/img]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 02:53:27 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »

I'll see if I can pick one up this weekend. I'm just glad the problem appears to not be internal after all. My guess is the other switch box was making a partial connection, hence the extremely snowy screen. Tapping the console must have somehow caused the box to temporarily make a full connection.
It is telling that the screen issues completely cleared up as soon as I swapped the boxes.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »

Yep, that sounds like that is more than likely your problem after your last test. Well, at least you have a clean system. Smiley

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »

Ugh. The problem keeps cropping up. Every time I think I found the solution, it comes back. I think the game select switch is interfering with the RF modulator somehow. The problem keeps returning when I use that switch. I am seriously starting to think this Light Sixer is more trouble than it's worth.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »

That sounds like the Game Select switch isn't properly grounded. That happens on a couple of 2600s I have as well.

leej07
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »

Is there any way to fix it?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length