RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:42 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | December Shmup Competition Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24 Print
Author Topic: December Shmup Competition Thread  (Read 72062 times)
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »

I decided to pop in Sin & Punishment today just for the hell of it. It is a damn superb game, but it is hard as hell, even playing on easy as Kachi. I'm about halfway through the game and honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it. We're definitely going to have to decide for this game what difficulty and character for people to use for the score to count. 

In that case, let's make it interesting.

Easy = score x 1
Medium = score x 1.5
Hard = score x 2

That may work, but let's think about it for a sec. Your score only accumulates through one life (you only have one life and then it's game over and your score goes to zero whether or not you continue) so if you play on hard you only have to live half as long. It's an interesting thought. I'd like to experiment a little with it and check back in tomorrow if it's all the same to you.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2014, 10:34:44 PM »

That scoring system seems to be OK for me because you can sort of go all in on hard mode. A little bit of risk/reward don't you think?

It's like 1 minute of Easy is roughly the same as 30 seconds of Hard. Unless you plowed through waves of enemies on Hard.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
techwizard
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:19 AM »

That scoring system seems to be OK for me because you can sort of go all in on hard mode. A little bit of risk/reward don't you think?

It's like 1 minute of Easy is roughly the same as 30 seconds of Hard. Unless you plowed through waves of enemies on Hard.

this makes sense to me too, it sounds like it balances the scoring system so that people can play on any difficulty they want but still have a fair score in our competition here. the only consideration is does the game already score things differently on different difficulties?
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2014, 07:08:20 AM »

Hey, you're the host. I was just trying to help.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2014, 08:48:44 AM »

the only consideration is does the game already score things differently on different difficulties?

That's what I'll have to find out.

Hey, you're the host. I was just trying to help.

Appreciate it. I'm just trying to make this competition as fun and fair as possible.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »

I've been messing around with R-Type Final a little bit...what mode are we playing in?  Standard mode or Score Attack?

Seeing as there's a Score Attack mode I think we can use that. I'll add that info to the main post.

I've been messing around with the game a little more, and I don't think Score Attack would be the most fun to play.  I think Normal mode would be the way to go.  But it's up to Fleach, so whatevs.

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »

Normal mode should be fine then.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2014, 06:05:16 PM »

Lightening Force get!  3 games remaining and I'll be all in.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!  We are playing Gradius (NES) and R-Type Final (PS2) [play R-Type in Normal Mode] this week.

Be sure to send in photos of your scores.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:26:37 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2014, 01:40:02 PM »

uhhh I thought we were decided to play R-Type Final in normal mode?

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »

uhhh I thought we were decided to play R-Type Final in normal mode?

Sorry, I was going by what was listed in the initial thread. Normal mode it is. I will make changes. Thanks.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »

Thanks.  Sorry for the confusion.  Maybe I should leave the show running up to the guys who actually run the show Tongue

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »

Thanks.  Sorry for the confusion.  Maybe I should leave the show running up to the guys who actually run the show Tongue

Ha! Ha! We actually appreciate the community input. We are playing a good portion of these games for the first time ourselves, so any pointers or things that might make the competition better for the month are greatly appreciated. If any of you have input on the other games we are playing this month, please let us know. Thank you.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 08:55:55 PM »

Here's the bench mark!

173795.  That's the high score on one credit. 

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:11 PM »

Why on earth did they not call it Thunder Force IV in the US?!

It had something to do with licensing, though I don't know the details. Not sure why it was "Lightening" and not "Lightning", either.

@singlebanana - I don't recall how you unlock WR-03, it's been years since I did so. You may want to consult a FAQ on the matter. But as I said, you can spam the lock-on laser pretty hard to track up 50+ chains, resulting in a clear advantage in favor of that craft, so it may be in the competition's best interest to disqualify it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length