RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | The Gym | Gaming while on a treadmill? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Gaming while on a treadmill?  (Read 16974 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »

I use a treadmill pretty much daily in the winter for walking, and when I watched this video review for Xenosaga:

Mark mentions playing it while on a treadmill. I've heard of people gaming while treading from other sources too.

I was just wondering if anyone here does it. My treadmill unfortunately is not facing a TV. I usually just watch youtube videos on my iPad while walking. I was thinking about playing a handheld while walking but I'm a little afraid it would get sweaty or that I would drop it. Those concerns wouldn't be so serious with just a controller but I'm not sure how to configure my setup so that I'd be facing the TV.

Also, what about walking mechanics i.e. arm movement? I feel like one might not get the full benefit of the action of walking if his arms are sort of locked in place in front of him.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »

slackur uses a stationary bike, and I've thought about doing something similar myself. Stationary bike doesn't tend to require much exercise from the arms, so it frees you up there.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »

As Shadow mentioned, I use a stationary (recumbent) bike to work out daily as I play video games.  I sound like a QVC ad when I talk about it, but it's all true:  2.5 years later, I now stay maxed out on the tensioner, bike 6 miles a day at least five days a week, and in that block of time I play more video games than I had in years.  I've lost (and kept off) over 30 pounds, lowered my (once dangerous) cholesterol, and have more energy now than when I was a teenager.  And finished more games in any time since then too.

As you referenced, it only really works out the legs, so it's best to add a separate upper body workout.  I bought a $20 pair of weights at Walmart and started alternating curls.  I only add to or up my workout twice a year, adding more weights/exercises as I feel appropriate.  As my beloved attests, it's worked for me Wink

Dunno about the treadmill though.  I tried playing portables on them when I used to go to Snap Fitness, and it just didn't work well for me; I would have to set the speed too slow to be able to pay attention to the game; preferred workout speeds were too dangerous for my balance while I was attending to the game.  But I have heard of others who did well with it.  I'm kinda clumsy by default.

Keelah se'lai
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:26 AM »

I've attempted to do other activities while on treadmills and stationary bikes like reading and watching TV, and found that I couldn't really do both at the same time, except listening to music. I eventually concentrate on one activity to such a degree that I totally forget about the other. For me, multitasking is a hellish nightmare, and I'm awed by anyone who can do it with any proficiency.

However, I usually stand up while playing, rather than sit. I'm considering getting a podium for my gaming sessions to lean on every once in a while, rest a controller on during breaks, and flip through a strategy guide for those rare moments when I'm really stumped.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:11:11 AM by Zagnorch » Logged
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 09:20:41 AM »

I've been considering getting a stationary bike for a while now, and if it's something I can do while gaming, that sounds like a no brainer to me.  I try to fit in a workout a few days a week, but I think the cardio portions are kind of rough on my knees and ankles.  It's not really a problem now, but I can see it becoming a problem for me years from now if I keep this up.  I've been looking for a low impact cardio alternative, and this seems like a good solution.  I'll just need to find a place to put the thing....

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Check out my Twitch Channel! https://www.twitch.tv/disposed_hero

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:26:56 AM »

I've been considering getting a stationary bike for a while now, and if it's something I can do while gaming, that sounds like a no brainer to me.
SNES Exertainment bike? Tongue
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »

Haha, I never knew those things existed and had to Google it.  I'd take one of those in a heartbeat!  Tongue

Check out my YouTube Channel for VGM covers! https://www.youtube.com/disposedherovgm

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »

I've been looking for a low impact cardio alternative...

Time to ScotchGard the hell outta your fave console and hit the local swimming hole.
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »

This thread got me looking for a recumbent exercise bike to put in my living room. I think that might be a grand idea!

Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 02:26:26 PM »

This thread got me looking for a recumbent exercise bike to put in my living room. I think that might be a grand idea!

I did end up purchasing a recumbent bike shortly after my last post in this thread and used it while gaming for a couple of years, and it worked out pretty well for me.  I haven't been doing it for the past 1.5 years, but that's just because I got out of the habit of doing it and haven't started it back up, although I know I should.  Maybe I'll drag the bike out soon and get back to it.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »

It's funny/cool to see this thread getting some action after all these years.

Being in a totally different living situation with a different treadmill that is now facing a tv, I'll definitely have to revisit this idea. I have an XBOX 360 that I pretty much never use hooked up in my living room that might be good for this! I'd just have to move it to the bedroom, which is where the treadmill is. 

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 10:17:54 AM »

It's funny/cool to see this thread getting some action after all these years.

Being in a totally different living situation with a different treadmill that is now facing a tv, I'll definitely have to revisit this idea. I have an XBOX 360 that I pretty much never use hooked up in my living room that might be good for this! I'd just have to move it to the bedroom, which is where the treadmill is. 

If my living room were bigger, or I could find a reasonably priced treadmill that would fold up so I could move it into a corner, or something, this would be a great idea. But the recumbent bike idea is attractive, because I can still sit down and get some exercise. I've started going back out for walks again, so this would be more to help supplement that, as well as to give me an alternative for rain, snow, wind, etc. Once I get myself set up for streaming, it might be fun to do a sort of "bike and game" thing, where people can watch me ride the exercise bike while playing a game Tongue

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length