RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:02:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The 'Lets build a PC!' thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: The 'Lets build a PC!' thread  (Read 13187 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »

That stinks.  Personally, I'd install them anyways, mumbo.  I mean, you have that awesome card.  If you run into any problems just purge the drivers in recovery:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »

Eventually, I'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on this PC, so it's not that big of a deal... Would be nice to have it working in Ubuntu though. I'm not that keen on attempting recovery if a problem occurs.

I might try a different Ubuntu install on another drive to test it on later (later being when I feel like it).

Before I installed the card, I ran a Video Stress Test in Half-Life 2: Lost Coast on near full settings and was getting decent framerates (AVG. ~50FPS).
With the card installed, I try the same and get ~2FPS on the menu. Not worth running the test when it's doing that. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:32:05 AM by mumboking » Logged
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »

woah I missed this thread when it first started. I'm a perpetual upgrader haha. Currently my build is...

i5-4690k
ASRock Z97 Xtreme3
16GB Kingston Fury HyperX Red
Zotac GTX 970

all of this is in a Rosewill Blackhawk case which I added a Cooler Master EVO Hyper 212 cooler to, along w/ a Pioneer bluray drive. I've got this dual-outputting to the Acer 23" LED monitor at my desk via DVI and mirrored to my Toshiba TV at my couch via HDMI. This way I can easily switch between keyboard/mouse (WASD mechanical, Logitech G502) at my desk, or Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers on my couch.

Anyway, I love building PC's and I've actually assembled 5 or 6 in the last 2 years for myself and others. I just find the process really rewarding, and will def be glad to help out in any way I can in this thread. Smiley

Nice, noise.  Next year I'll have to upgrade my GPU.  Seeing both you and Mumbo's rig makes me a bit itchy for a new card.  Granted, I don't own any games that tax my 750ti, but I do love me some new hardware.  Luckily I won't have to upgrade my CPU for a couple of years (at least).

Eventually, I'll be running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on this PC, so it's not that big of a deal... Would be nice to have it working in Ubuntu though. I'm not that keen on attempting recovery if a problem occurs.

I might try a different Ubuntu install on another drive to test it on later (later being when I feel like it).

Before I installed the card, I ran a Video Stress Test in Half-Life 2: Lost Coast on near full settings and was getting decent framerates (AVG. ~50FPS).
With the card installed, I try the same and get ~2FPS on the menu. Not worth running the test when it's doing that. Tongue

I hear you.  My main gaming rig is W7 x64.   I used Manjaro XFCE in the beginning, but I got sick of the workarounds to play my Windows Steam games, so I turned it into a Windows rig.  I still use my Manjaro laptop to play games, though (I can't quit Linux), and once I redesign my network I'll be Steam streaming to that laptop (unless I want to make use of the surround speakers).

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length