RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:34:15 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 28 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 28  (Read 19321 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: December 22, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »

Collectorcast Episode 28: A Gaming Festivus for the Rest of Us

Episode 28 discussion thread: http://www.rfgeneration.c...rum/index.php?topic=14865

Join Bil and Duke as they take a stroll down memory lane and discuss their childhood Christmas gaming memories. Also, our questions segment has grown, and we're glad to tackle the tough ones. Even the Crabmaster makes a small appearance for the holidays! So let the Feats of Strength begin, and gather round the Festivus pole to share some of your favorite holiday gaming memories with us.

Get the show at http://www.collectorcast.com
Follow the Collectorcast on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Collectorcast
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Collectorcast
On Stitcher (enter Promo Code RFGeneration): http://www.stitcher.com/RFGeneration
On iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/u...collectorcast/id524246060
On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DukeTogo74

Show Notes
Music: Akumajou Dracula (Famicom Disk System)
Topic: 1:13:11
Outro: 2:03:46
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:29:57 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »

Let the Festivus festivities begin. I've got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're going to hear about it!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:26:48 PM »

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »

Let the Festivus festivities begin. I've got a lot of problems with you people, and now you're going to hear about it!

Careful, now; this guy's a lawyer, AKA an unholy minion of the Dark Lord Satan himself evilhappy. Disregard his threats at your peril! Let's not not be the unwitting creators of the next Jack Thompson, please.

Moving on: here's a little holiday gaming story to warm the cockles of your heart--

- Hey! Warm THESE cockles! OH!!!

Oh, put a sock in it, Dice!

ANYway, the 'rents were finally able to buy a house, and we moved into the new place a couple weeks before the '89 quake. Since the the down payment left them a little low on funds that year, I wasn't expecting a gift windfall for the Yuletide. A few days after the move-in, mom asked me if I'd like to get a NES for christmas. I responded, "sure, okay," in a tone that was rather underwhelming. I thought she was kidding. I said to myself, "Really? With what money?"

Her older sister's money, apparently. 'Cuz come that Christmas, a rather large box for me from one of my aunts contained the basic NES set with two controllers, zapper gun, and SMB/Duck Hunt game.      That gift resulted in the first thank-you card I wasn't guilted into writing and sending to a relative.

The next Christmas I got a copy of Super Mario 3, this time from the 'rents... as likely did most teenage NES players that year. I heard rumors there was gonna be a shortage of the game, but apparently the 'rents were somehow able to snag a copy. And it was a good thing too, 'cuz SMB3 was the first video game mom took some interest in. And when you get down to it, that's what the holiday season's all about: a little family bonding.

Cheers.
zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:32:03 PM »

Careful, now; this guy's a lawyer, AKA an unholy minion of the Dark Lord Satan himself evilhappy. Disregard his threats at your peril! Let's not not be the unwitting creators of the next Jack Thompson, please.

Moving on: here's a little holiday gaming story to warm the cockles of your heart--

- Hey! Warm THESE cockles! OH!!!

Oh, put a sock in it, Dice!

ANYway, the 'rents were finally able to buy a house, and we moved into the new place a couple weeks before the '89 quake. Since the the down payment left them a little low on funds that year, I wasn't expecting a gift windfall for the Yuletide. A few days after the move-in, mom asked me if I'd like to get a NES for christmas. I responded, "sure, okay," in a tone that was rather underwhelming. I thought she was kidding. I said to myself, "Really? With what money?"

Her older sister's money, apparently. 'Cuz come that Christmas, a rather large box for me from one of my aunts contained the basic NES set with two controllers, zapper gun, and SMB/Duck Hunt game.      That gift resulted in the first thank-you card I wasn't guilted into writing and sending to a relative.

The next Christmas I got a copy of Super Mario 3, this time from the 'rents... as likely did most teenage NES players that year. I heard rumors there was gonna be a shortage of the game, but apparently the 'rents were somehow able to snag a copy. And it was a good thing too, 'cuz SMB3 was the first video game mom took some interest in. And when you get down to it, that's what the holiday season's all about: a little family bonding.

Cheers.

That story just made this little demon's devil-heart grow one size larger.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

I loved having a "gamer mom". Every Christmas, she tried to include something videogame-related for me (and LEGOs, and Garfield...). When Ocarina of Time was coming out and she heard there was going to be a special gold cartridge version, she took off after I fell asleep on launch night and waited in line for 6 hours to guarantee she'd be able to get it, as well as the T-Shirt and Soundtrack bonuses that TRU was offering. I had no clue she had done it until I opened that present up that year, which made her day.

I think that T-Shirt is still in my closet at her house, but I've got the soundtrack and game still in my collection.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

Zagnorch had parents? Seriously though, as a kid that grew up with meager funds, I know how awesome getting an NES for Christmas is. It sounds like you should send your Aunt a Thank You card every year for making you the man you are today (or maybe that isn't what she wants to hear).

@Shadow: I did the same thing for my little brother. I bought an N64 for my brother and sister for Christmas when it came out, and got Zelda from Kmart which also had the shirt/soundtrack offer. The shirt was too big for him, so that went to me, and the soundtrack eventually did as well. It was always a lot of fun to go back home and play N64 with them, although my brother usually just wanted to play wrestling games.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »

Bil is having triplets!  That's the secret.  I think Crab Master Flash doesn't like you guys any more.  What did you do to him?!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:27:41 AM »

Zagnorch had parents? Seriously though, as a kid that grew up with meager funds, I know how awesome getting an NES for Christmas is. It sounds like you should send your Aunt a Thank You card every year for making you the man you are today (or maybe that isn't what she wants to hear).

@Shadow: I did the same thing for my little brother. I bought an N64 for my brother and sister for Christmas when it came out, and got Zelda from Kmart which also had the shirt/soundtrack offer. The shirt was too big for him, so that went to me, and the soundtrack eventually did as well. It was always a lot of fun to go back home and play N64 with them, although my brother usually just wanted to play wrestling games.

The N64 had some great wrestling games!  And seriously, the N64 was for you, wasn't it? Smiley  My parents didn't have much money when we were kids.  I asked for a NES for 3 years and never got it.  On the 4th year I was shocked when there was a NES from Santa.  We went to church and than my brother hooked it up.  That it also where this all began....

SMS set complete!
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:54:17 PM »

love the episode.  my favorite part was the barbershop duet of  you guys singing Castlevania tunes

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 01:24:21 PM »

I'm sure the recording contract offers will just start pouring in.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

Good episode. Reminded me of a time, when I loved this time of year.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 07:47:04 PM »

We would go to my Grandma and Grandpa's on Christmas Eve and they had an Atari 2600.  Frog 'N Flies was one of the most played games which is just like Frog Bog.  We would play the crap out of that.  Other hits were Yar's Revenge and Combat, with a little bit of the horrible Pac-Man mixed in.

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 10:36:22 PM »

Wow... Duke's childhood memories with his TI-99/4A are remarkably similar to my childhood memories with the Commodore 64. Though I didn't quite have the passion for playing around with my computer as he did with his; I was a lot more casual. Also, the 'rents bought it more for themselves for practical purposes, but I ended up putting more time on it than the both of them combined. None the less, those were some pretty good times. BTW how's that new TI computer of yours holding up, bud?  Wink

UPDATE: Just heard Bil's comment about having to see every Mike Tyson fight back in the day. I found him more interesting for his out-of-the-ring antics than his fights... which were pretty one-sided in the first few years, which I found rather boring. But then his self-destructive personal problems caught up with him, and he became a pretty interesting guy. I caught both Tyson-Holyfield pay-per-views at  my best friend's house, including the whole ear-biting thing. It was Tyson being interesting again...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:38:34 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length