RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:25:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | what games from your childhood can you still play? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: what games from your childhood can you still play?  (Read 3422 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:40:37 PM »

It's hard to play a lot of the games for me because #1- I would play a lot of them with my brother, and I think that's why they were fun in the first place- I don't really know anyone who enjoys old games still. and #2- not having a save function is a deal breaker a lot of the time for me. the password system is good in some cases as long as the characters are easy to read/differentiate (lots of times I would get 8 mistaken for B or vice versa), but it's a lot easier when you can just save the game. and when you're playing on a 25 year old battery, the thought of losing your save data when the batt fails is enough to make me not even attempt it.

well all that aside, I'll compile a list of games that I still enjoy playing by myself and then afterwards, a list of games I can't enjoy anymore

still fun:
Rock N Roll Racing
Lolo 1-3
Battletoads
Mega Man 1-6
A Link to the Past
Sonic 1-3 plus Knuckles
Streets of Rage 2
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World 1 and 2
Super Mario Kart

not so much anymore:
Donkey Kong Country games- I don't know if it's because I played them to death or what but they just don't do it for me anymore
Pokemon games- I lost my patience with them. I can see how I liked it back then but these days it feels too time consuming
Mortal Kombat II- this game is just too hard for me, even on the easiest setting. I loved it for the multiplayer but that was it.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 09:15:55 PM »

I don't really know anyone who enjoys old games still.

stick around here and that'll change fast. i have no problem playing old games, they're definitely more difficult than a lot of modern games but that doesn't make them worse for it. as for save batteries, those can be replaced quite easily and fairly cheaply.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:18:43 PM »

I don't really know anyone who enjoys old games still.

stick around here and that'll change fast. i have no problem playing old games, they're definitely more difficult than a lot of modern games but that doesn't make them worse for it. as for save batteries, those can be replaced quite easily and fairly cheaply.

yeah its weird how you can find thousands and thousands of people online who still play old stuff but in real life (at least where I live), if people are gamers, they generally are only playing 360 and newer

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »

whats an old game to you? sounds like early 90's. I still like playing the occasional "old" game, which to me is either Intellivision or Atari 2600.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
DK1105
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:11:33 PM »

I grew up in the 90's yet I love my odyssey 2 so it's safe to say I enjoy old games.  Surprisingly I don't have much trouble inviting a few friends over for gaming nights were I bust out a console no one has even heard of.  One thing I have found is non gamers enjoy older games more in a group setting because it's much easier to randomly jump into a game like sonic over something newer like halo or smash brother.  Believe it or not my group of friends is mostly in our mid 20's and I have had an odyssey 2 war of nerves tournament started by accident.
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »

whats an old game to you? sounds like early 90's. I still like playing the occasional "old" game, which to me is either Intellivision or Atari 2600.

to me, old is anything before the Dreamcast. ancient is anything before the NES

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »

Dude, I want to play all the games from my childhood.  And yours too.  And Slackur's and Zag's.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
kaysow
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »

Bubble Bobble and Track & Field on the NES are still good fun at a party

zcrich01
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 01:46:14 PM »

I'm still fairly competent at Fireshark and NHL 94 on the Genesis, which I played ad nauseum in my youth. I suck at pretty much every other 16/64 bit game (I never had an NES or Master System growing up) I played back then. It's amazing how much better I was at games as a kid than I am currently as a reasonably coordinated adult.

Edit: Weird side note. That may be the first time 27 year old me has ever referred to myself as an adult.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:48:02 PM by zcrich01 » Logged
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »

(**raises hand**) I play ancient games..... Tongue

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 05:58:40 PM »

(**raises hand**) I play ancient games..... Tongue

beer

Relax, I can fix it.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:08:59 PM »

If your Birthdate is in the 70's, chances are, that you play ancient games.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 09:45:02 PM »

I was born in 78 and grew up on the Colecovision, Atari, NES, SNES, and Sega.  I love to play my childhood favorites like Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Tecmo/Super Tecmo Bowl, NHL 94, Sim City, Double Dragon, Contra, Pitfall, Castlevania, Zelda, Pro Wrestling, WWF Royal Rumble, R.C. Pro-Am among others.

I don't really have anyone to play with, like I did when I was a kid.  But my son plays with me from time to time.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 09:55:42 PM »

I am fortunate enough to play plenty of old games, and have local friends that like doing the same. I pretty regularly play SMB, Castlevania 1 & 3, and Ninja Gaiden 1-3.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 12:03:55 PM »

Castle of Illusion for the Master System. I won't though, because my Master System isn't hooked up and I have better things to do.

Most platform games actually, since the best ones are 2D.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length