RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:48:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Funcoland Newspaper Price Guides 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Funcoland Newspaper Price Guides  (Read 4195 times)
ferris182
N-Gage

Stats
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »

Hey guys,

My friend used to work at Funcoland back in the day and we were just talking about about the newspaper price guides they had on the counter at each store.

Does anyone still have any copies of these price guides?

If yes, would you sell me one or two?  I can pay $10 shipped.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

NHL 94 for Life!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:01:00 AM »

I likely have some really old catalogs somewhere, but no newspaper guides... sorry.

ferris182
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:07:54 AM »

Funcoland catalogs?

I wasn't aware they had catalogs.

How are they different than the newspaper price guides?

Thanks.

NHL 94 for Life!
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 01:34:08 AM »

Not sure. They'd be stashed back at my mother's house, but she had mail order Funcoland catalogs that were like the standard newsprint style Funcoland price guides in the magazines, except they were full listings for every system instead of selections.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »

someone uploaded screens of the price guides on Nintendo Age. Stadium Events was priced at 25 cents or something really low like that. surprisingly, games like Mega Man and Castlevania were commanding $25-30, which in todays dollar would be closer to 40 or 50

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »

RC Pro-Am 2 and Super Metroid were $50 at one point from Funco, and all Final Fantasies were $60+ I believe.

Someone posted similar scans here of those guides.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

yes I can remember Final Fantasy on the Game Boy being something crazy like that, like 60-80 dollars.

I'm not old enough to remember how expensive NES and SNES games were brand new at Target/Toys R Us. I remember that $59.99 was standard for a lot of N64 games around the year 1999 or 2000.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »

NES games and SNES game prices were ridiculous when I was a kid. Most stores around here would charge around $100 for most games. I think Micky's Magical Quest cost me like $110 before tax.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 04:45:25 PM »

The prices were stupidly high on some games.  Orge Battle and Tengen Tetris were regularly $80+ and sometimes crept well past the $100 mark (especially Tetris).   Funny, I remember passing out so many of those price sheets when I worked for Funco, it's hard to believe that none of them have survived.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »

The prices were stupidly high on some games.  Orge Battle and Tengen Tetris were regularly $80+ and sometimes crept well past the $100 mark (especially Tetris).   Funny, I remember passing out so many of those price sheets when I worked for Funco, it's hard to believe that none of them have survived.
what do you mean by "survive?" I thought they were bought out by Gamestop? The one here in St Cloud, MN became a Gamestop at least

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »

Just talked about these on the collectorcast.  I want one so bad.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 08:54:50 PM »

what do you mean by "survive?" I thought they were bought out by Gamestop? The one here in St Cloud, MN became a Gamestop at least

Sorry.  Meant the price sheets.

- Han Solo
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 12:45:27 AM »

I know I have some of these around here, but it would likely be YEARS before I could find them.  I used to keep them with all of my video game magazines back in the day which are somewhere in a box in one of my moms 3 storage bins.  You see my mom is a bit of a hoarder, so I would have to dig through 40 years of my family's garbage to find them all while my mom screams at me not to break anything. 

I'm sure I could find some cool forgotten stuff like my top loader NES that has got to be around, but I simply don't have the willpower.  Should it happen one day, I'll scan the shit out of them.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »

I haven't managed to find one in my magazine stash (Sauza inspired me), but I did find this website.  Mind you, it's in Google cache, so who knows.  It's from June of '98 which was a good time to be working at Funco.  I pretty much just sat around, playing through the games all day.

Anyway, just because I love you guys:

http://webcache.googleuse...p;gl=us&client=ubuntu

- Han Solo
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »

A world in which Silent Service is worth more than Stadium Events. Excellent.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length