RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | why is Citizen Kane considered the greatest film of all time? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: why is Citizen Kane considered the greatest film of all time?  (Read 3327 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 01, 2015, 11:48:14 PM »

It's unanimous. It was Roger Ebert's favorite movie. It's placed at #1 consistently, on most film critics' lists.

Granted, it's been years since I have seen it. But I don't remember it being anything special. I can think of at least a dozen films that are better than Kane, even from a technological standpoint rather than just in terms of entertainment... Barry Lyndon, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shawshank Redemption, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, The Bridge on the River Kwai, just to name a few.

I'm probably asking this question in the wrong forum, LOL, but maybe a film junkie here can explain this.

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 05:05:29 AM »

It was groundbreaking for its time, because of the cinematography, and the method of which it tell its story. When compared to modern movies, it might seem cliche or dated. So you got to watch it from a filmmakers point of view. When I was in film school we had to watch and study Citizen Kane for its elements of movie making. I think that is why alot of people who don't have film or movie making background don't understand why it is so important.  I think it is a good movie, not my #1 but pretty good.

I must say though 2001 A Space Odyssey is much better as well as Laurence of Arabia.

Nathan Dunsmore
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:06 AM »

I think a lot of people say it because it's an easy answer, like how people are quick to say E.T is the worst video game or Plan 9 From Outer Space is the worst film.

I forget which poll it was, but I thought I read somewhere that Vertigo dethroned Citizen Kane as the greatest film of all time?

Though they came out later, my favorite "oldies" are North by Northwest, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Swimmer and The Sting.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »

I once had a film student friend explain this to me, but Fokakis beat me to it.  If you You almost have to go on a little film watching walkabout to really get it.  The way films are structured now?  Because of Citizen Kane.  If you go back and watch movies made before Citizen Kane (prior to 1941) you should be able to see the difference pretty easily.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:56:08 AM »

It was groundbreaking for its time, because of the cinematography, and the method of which it tell its story. When compared to modern movies, it might seem cliche or dated. So you got to watch it from a filmmakers point of view. When I was in film school we had to watch and study Citizen Kane for its elements of movie making. I think that is why alot of people who don't have film or movie making background don't understand why it is so important.

This

2001: A Space Odyssey is a terrible movie. One of the very few movies I fell asleep during.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »

I understand (I think) the background, history, troubled production, and inventive technical skill that places it as a highly regarded classic.

Personally, and all that aside, I just thought it was a great movie.

Keelah se'lai
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:10:47 AM »

Casablanca gets called that a lot too.

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
FatherJack
On Hiatus
United Kingdom
Awards: 2015 RFGENERATION TOP RUN N' GUNNER

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:00:47 AM »

Hopefully in 50 years time 'Beerfest' will get classic status.
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »

I once had a film student friend explain this to me, but Fokakis beat me to it.  If you You almost have to go on a little film watching walkabout to really get it.  The way films are structured now?  Because of Citizen Kane.  If you go back and watch movies made before Citizen Kane (prior to 1941) you should be able to see the difference pretty easily.

Yep. I took a film studies class in college and this is correct in terms of why the movie is considered the "best" of all time. It's not that the plot is superb, it's good, but not wowing, but what keeps it up there is its influence on modern cinema. Many of the camera techniques used, especially the deep focus, panning, and tracking shots are incredible and weren't used prior to it. These techniques completely changed the way we watched and made film. It's a pretty sad film and the revelation at the end is powerful and poignant. It's not my "favorite" film by far, but I understand why and how it retains its rating. "Best" isn't always defined by plot.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »

@singlebanana, very true about best not defined by plot. That is why I like 2001: Space Odyssey. I like the mood, setting, and feel of the movie. All the elements that go into making a movie are all important

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length