RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:47:28 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | funniest comedy you've seen? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: funniest comedy you've seen?  (Read 7497 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »

Doing a few Google/IMDB searches and watching some old trailers, I've come to the realization that there's very few good comedies- or maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Here are my favorites, in no order:

- City Slickers (can't remember if #2 is good or not)
- Cabin Boy
- History of the World Part 1
- Life of Brian
- Ace Ventura 1 and 2
- The Mask (not as funny as the AV movies but still good)
- Old School
- Austin Powers 1-3
- Joe Dirt
- Meet the Parents (barely remember the sequel)
- There's Something about Mary
- pretty much all the "Vacation" movies, Vegas was the best
- Happy Gilmore
- Billy Madison
- Saving Silverman
- Drowning Mona
- Best in Show (I would have to rank this as my favorite comedy of all time)
- Clerks
- Euro Trip
- Wet Hot American Summer
- Harold and Kumar (again I barely remember the sequel)
- Borat
- all the Jackass movies
- Super Troopers (barely remember it but I remember LOLing)
- Rat Race
- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
- Dogma

outside of those and maybe a handful of ones I forgot about, I can't think of any that I can truly say I'd wanna see again. I do like the Marx brothers and Charlie Chaplin but the old timey stuff can be hard to watch for me.

EDIT: thought of a few more
- UHF
- Mafia!
- Due Date
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:41:25 PM by gbpxl » Logged

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 06:01:56 PM »

Mystery Science Theater 3000 the movie
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Fifth Element

are all classics 'round our home.

Keelah se'lai
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:08:32 PM »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Ghostbusters
History of the World Part I
Kung Pow
UHF

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:33:28 PM »

The Inbetweeners (BBC TV series)

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
TheSaintOfPain
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:20 AM »

Kung Pow: Enter The Fist
Corky Romano
Mallrats
Superbad
Raising Arizona
Lone Star State Of Mind
This Is Spinal Tap
Clue
Hot Tub Time Machine
Orgazmo (Made by Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the guys behind South Park, so that should tell you what you're in for)
The Naked Gun series
Airplane!

Those, along with the others' suggestions, should give you a good start on what to start watching.  And you should really watch Super Troopers again since you don't remember it.  It's done nothing but gotten funnier to me every time I watch it.

*EDIT:  I forgot to mention Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer as well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:51:09 AM by TheSaintOfPain » Logged

Just Take A Look Around And What Do You See?
Pain, Suffering, And Misery.
It's Not The Way The World Was Planned;
It's A Pity You Don't Understand.

--Black Sabbath, "Killing Yourself To Live"
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »

I still think Airplane! is the funniest movie ever.  Also a really funny movie, though ultra-obscure, I'd recommend anyone check out a little known film called "High Strung".  It stars Steve Oedekirk, and has a cameo by Jim Carrey (as the Angel of Death).  It's essentially a long monologue throughout the film, with a few folks popping up (Denise Crosby as the boss' wife, and Thomas F. Wilson aka Biff Tannen as the best friend).  "It's never been released on DVD, and VHS copies get stoopid-expensive on eBay, but it's a riot.  Janie Lane (formerly of Warrant, RIP) has a cameo as the neighbor who plays his thrash metal too loud.  Funny stuff.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 12:51:29 PM »

Ah man, no one mentioned "This is Spinal Tap!" Big fan of this film, but of course the wife can't sit through it. I second the UHF, Airplane!, and Young Frankenstein picks, all being in my Top 5.

I'll also add:
American Movie (documentary that is really a comedy)
Adaptation
Big Trouble in Little China
Bottle Rocket
Caddy Shack
Election
Fargo
Fletch
The Foot Fist Way
Grosse Point Blank (may be my favorite)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Meatballs
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
The Toy
The Virginity Hit
Zoolander

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Nathan Dunsmore
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »

City Slickers
Dumb and Dumber
Horrible Bosses
Death at a Funeral (2007 Version)
Airplane!
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
There's Something About Mary
In and Out
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:02:13 AM by Nathan Dunsmore » Logged
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »

Dumb and Dumber
Clerks 1&2
Monty Pythons: The Meaning of Life
Spaceballs
Shaun of the Dead
Coming to America
Major Payne
Grandmas Boy
The Dictator
Spinal Tap
Office Space
Robin Hood Men In Tights
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:51 PM »

Hey now!

Time for me to queue up my fave cinematic laugh-a-ramas:

- There's Something About Mary: finally, a funny romantic comedy for guys to enjoy. Just gotta throw in a light helping of lowbrow gross-out humor, and you're good to go. Now the hell did he get the beans above the frank?!

- Spaceballs: Chock-full of the kinda corny cheap-laughs I love. The second-most-quotable comedy flick, behind...

- Airplane!: I only watch this every five years or so, for fear it'll get stale if I watch it more frequently. I have a feeling that, thanks to my following the Air Crash Investigation documentary series, I'll likely nitpick it to death the next time I watch it. None the less, it's a completely different kind of comedy altogether.  Grin

BTW I recently discovered that Airplane! is a comedic remake of the drama Zero Hour-- the studio bought the rights and everything-- with much of the original dialogue carried over mostly unaltered. Filter some of those same lines (with a few additions) through Leslie Nielsen with his legendary deadpan delivery, and you've got freakin' comedy gold. But surely you're the last people I need to tell that to, right?  Wink

- The Naked Gun 1 & 2: I didn't much care for the third one, but the first two really did it for me.

- Monty Python's Life of Brian: Most everyone else puts Holy Grail on their list. I just gotta be different I guess.

- Tommy Boy: Chris Farley at the height of his (coke-fueled) powers.

- Super Fuzz / Super Snooper: a really dumb childhood fave that has become a guilty pleasure. Featuring Ernest Borgnine a few years before Airwolf and Escape from New York put him back in the showbiz spotlight. And the theme's oddly catchy.

- Orgazmo: Now I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but I think this movie kicks ass!

- Weird Science: My fave John Hughes 1980s-teenage-comedy-set-in-a-Chicago-suburb. Yes, even more than The Breakfast Club or Ferris Bueller's Day Off. My all-time fave John Hughes movie, however, is...

- Planes, Trains, and Automobiles starring Steve Martin, who was also in...

- Three Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamigos with Chevy Chase, who was also in...

- Spies like Us

Hey, you know what? While I'm at it, I may as well list a few of my fave sit-coms:

- Are You Being Served?: my all-time fave Brit-com.

- Hogan's Heroes: Curious about the controversy over the show's setting, I decided to watch a few eppies... and was hooked.

- Amos 'n Andy: another controversial favorite. My fave classic-era sitcom.

- Night Court: the first show to make me laugh. I could really relate to this cast of misfits, being a big misfit in middle school when the show first aired.

- Sledge Hammer!: a take-off of Dirty Harry that took shots at all the tropes from those rogue-lone-cop-who-goes-by-his-own-rules-but-at-least-he-gets-the-job-done flicks from the '70s and '80s. I also gotta remember to make the theme my ring tone one of these years.

- Taxi: Before he developed the flux capacitor, Christopher Llloyd breathed life into the greatest sitcom character ever: Reverend Jim Ignatowski. But I didn't gain an appreciation for this man until I started watching the show in reruns on Nick at Nite.

All right, I've bored you enough with my nattering. Next, please.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 11:37:16 PM »

I had completely forgotten about Super Fuzz! I used to watch this a lot as a kid.

Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »

I had completely forgotten about Super Fuzz! I used to watch this a lot as a kid.

It was on HBO twice a day for a while back in the early 80s. While the 'rents didn't get cable until a few years later, the  neighbors across the street had it, and would invite me over to see it whenever it or Star Wars came on. In fact, it was at the neighbors where I saw Star Wars for the first time. Weird thing is, I never knew how it really ended until a few years later, 'cuz mom had the uncanny ability of calling me back home to dinner at the start of the Death Star trench-run scene.

Every... single... freaking... time.

I'd beg for more time, but she wouldn't have it. Now I'd seen Empire in the theaters by then, so I figured Star Wars had a good ending to it. I just didn't know exactly how it all went down until I finally rented it on VHS in the mid-80s.

And you wonder why I'm such a mess...
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »

Sounds a lot like my childhood. I watched HBO mostly at my cousin's house when I would spend the night on the weekends. So many terrible movies like The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 04:11:40 AM »

Sounds a lot like my childhood. I watched HBO mostly at my cousin's house when I would spend the night on the weekends. So many terrible movies like The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension.

You take that back!  Buckaroo Banzai was great... wait, I was 8 so my opinion could be flawed.  But do you remember the cool HBO flyover intro for their movies?  I miss seeing that over this NetFlix thing.

@Zag  Super Fuzz was one of my favorite movies as a kid and I was only able to snag a terrible (sometimes working) VHS copy years ago.  Thanks for the reminder to look for an upgrade.  Great movie.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 04:16:09 AM by Techie413 » Logged

Relax, I can fix it.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 04:32:44 AM »

There are a lot of great comedies, but my two favorite quotable movies:

Office Space: "I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob."
The Last Boy Scout: "She's like thirteen years old, and if you even look at her funny, I'm gonna stick an umbrella up your ass and open it."

Relax, I can fix it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length