RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:37:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | "Collect of Shame" - Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: "Collect of Shame" - Thread  (Read 5965 times)
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 02:43:46 PM »

The collecting idiosyncrasy I have that best fits is my love of ugly cartridges.  Torn labels, marker, stickers, I enjoy them all, and not just because they are often available at reduced prices. 

My copy of Frankenstein: The Monster Returns is missing 4/5 of its label.

My copy of The Empire Strikes Back for the NES is missing its entire label, which was then replaced by what appears to be an index card glued where the label should be.

I "label downgraded" my Power Blade from a fairly good label to one with creases and fading.

My copy of King Kong 2 Ikari no Megaton Punch has the name "KUWAHARA" writ large on the back sticker.

My copy of Brawl Brothers has a Hypno pokemon sticker on it.

And so on and so on.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 02:51:51 PM »

@Ikariniku That is a fascinatingly awesome phenomenon. Have you ever thought about why you prefer your games that way?

Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »

@Ikariniku That is a fascinatingly awesome phenomenon. Have you ever thought about why you prefer your games that way?

Sure, I've thought about it.  I try to have a general idea of why I do the things I do.  Smiley

Obviously, price is a consideration.  Getting a working copy of Kickmaster for NES essentially free in a lot of games because it looks like it was melted on a waffle iron is a win in my (pocket) book.

However, the main reason is the sense of history these defects, scars, and markings give to the games.  Some of the items in my collection are 30-40 years old.  They've "lived" as long as I have.  They have stories.  It's an extension of the joy collectors might find in seeing high scores written in a manual or old saves on a cartridge.

Dings and dents go further than game information, though.  Rather than being a chronicle of things inherent to the game, it's a record of the world around the game.  Who owned it, where it was, what happened to it, all these facts about the game, the physical cartridge, are glimpsed.

The depth and completeness of this glimpse varies, of course.  A name on a cart pretty obviously points to its owner, but who was it that put that Hypno sticker on my Brawl Brothers?  Was it the owner?  Their sibling?  Their child?  I have an NES that has a rental store name and phone number dremeled into the bottom.  Little mystery how that got there, but just what happened to my poor, mangled Kickmaster?

I find that the less explanation a defect has, the more I enjoy it.  It sparks the imagination and reminds me that these games are not just the province of collectors and "nerds".  These were out in the world, enjoyed by all sorts of people.  They are cultural artifacts, and "ugly carts" help me appreciate that.

With all that highfalutin speechifying out of the way, I'll admit that I do enjoy pristine copies of things as well.  Despite label downgrading my Power Blade, my very nice Mega Man cart won't suffer the same fate (and not just because I got it from a friend).  I'm also quite a stickler for condition with new items, but new items have no history, just poor quality control at the factory.

Here's another idea I've had but not been able to put into practice.  At one time, I considered trying to assemble a non-functioning NES full licensed set.  However, given the low failure rate of cartridges, I abandoned the idea as HARDER than collecting working carts.  In my collecting, I've come across only one or two nonfunctional NES carts.  The chance that a broken Little Samson or Stadium Events is out there waiting for me seems slim, at best.

Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »

Very interesting way to look at collecting.  Yes, grabbing non-functioning NES games can definitely be difficult considering many of the cheaper or inoperable carts are being recycled into homebrews.  Eventually, all NES carts will no longer function but likely it will happen after we are all gone the way of EPYX and LJN.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 08:16:57 AM »

@Ikariniku Thanks for sharing, that is really cool.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 12:52:18 AM »

Oh, I've always been known as being a Tiger addict. I have probably close to 200 Tiger LCDs. Quite a few of which are SIB or blister pack. I also have a very nice Game.com and R-Zone collection. Have a few of the watches too. Hell, I even have Tiger catalogs! I WANT THEM ALL!

The most embarrassing part of this is that I have gotten into some nasty bidding wars in the past. The problem with collecting Tiger handhelds is that the collectors for the other shit out there are willing to pay top dollar at times to get their hands on something. I got into a particularly nasty bidding war once that went up well over $200 (which I LOST). Really I think it's become more of an obsession to me than a collection. In a way I'm glad I married poor and can't continue to pay outrageous prices for the damned things.

I also have a Nokia N-Gage. I actually used it as my phone for a while too. I traded/sold some of my N-Gage games (the ones I didn't play).

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length