RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:50:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Clear Plastic NES Clamshell Cases 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Clear Plastic NES Clamshell Cases  (Read 3249 times)
Cambot
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »

A while back I found these games & instructions with clear plastic NES clamshell cases.

Does anyone know where these cases were first sold?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:01:22 PM by Cambot » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:56:06 PM »

I don't know offhand, but they're definitely third-party licensed and were popular with rental shops at the time.

Cambot
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »

I don't know offhand, but they're definitely third-party licensed and were popular with rental shops at the time.

That's what I thought as well, but I never remember renting a game that had this particular case, emblazoned with the Nintendo logo. Also, these don't have any rental stickers or anything. But you're most likely right.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:31 PM »

I had a mixture of those, as well as unlicensed third-party cases that were blue, "red" (pink, really), and clear. Not sure how I came across them as a kid, but I remember them being sold at retail.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 06:26:30 PM »

I have quite a few of these, and around here most of them came from Mom & Pop rental stores. I've found a few with labels on them.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

I have some colored ones, see through pink/blue/yellow, that I remember buying new at Toys R Us in either the late 80's or early 90's.
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

I have some colored ones, see through pink/blue/yellow, that I remember buying new at Toys R Us in either the late 80's or early 90's.

I also bought some from Toys R Us back in the late 80's.  I'd imagine you could search through old issues of Nintendo Power to get a better idea of when they first appeared.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

I remember them being sold in packs of 3, though incidentally I remember picking them up from PlayWorld before they went bankrupt.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 09:00:51 AM »

I was packing up some more games and I noticed this on the back of one of the cases: (This is has the Nintendo logo on the front)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:04:26 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »

Based on that information, here's the manufacturer:

Pride Plastics, Inc.
CA
2100 S Fairview St.

92704  Santa Ana
United States

They produced licensed plastic protectors for all of Nintendo's cartridge-based consoles:
Game Boy: http://www.nintendoage.co...tid=29&threadid=12573
Nintendo 64: http://www.amazon.com/Nin...e-Case-pack/dp/B00004YV84

Since we've cleared that up, they were likely available for most retailers to order, but if I'd have to guess most toy stores like TRU and KB Toys.
It's amazing what you can do with just a UPC these days.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:15:06 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length