RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:15:58 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Shining Force - Retro Playthrough - May 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Shining Force - Retro Playthrough - May 2015  (Read 31469 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2015, 09:41:34 AM »

Nice work Shaggy!  Seems that you're moving right along.  Achievements updated. Cheesy

Thanks, I'm worried I missed 4 now. Smiley  Maybe I just didn't get that far yet.  I've noticed when in battle if you kill the "main" enemy, the battle will end and you will miss out on experience points.  I'm not sure if each battle has a "main" enemy but it isn't too hard to figure out who the "main" enemy is so make sure you save him for last if possible!

That's a good point. Not all battles have a "main" enemy, but a lot do. The kind of rule of thumb is to not kill the enemy that speaks at the beginning of the battle. This is usually pretty obvious. Thanks for pointing this out.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »

Wow, sounds like you are kicking some a@$ shaggy lol...I just made it to chapter 3....trying to catch up guys.

Quick update and maybe a little advice if anyone's willing...
Spoiler (hover to show)

Furthermore....this game is amazing....such a good trip to the past! OHHHHH how I really genuinely miss the old graphics and gameplay mechanics of these old school games. Stories were ALWAYS good it seems like. And I just love them. This is turning out to be one heck of a fun game to me. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the newschool games as well and the way they can make games today is absolutely beautiful....but something about these old 16, 32, 64 bit graphics just seem so artistic and colorful and just beautiful to me as well. This game is really pretty. And I love the enemy design and how when you change weapons and classes your characters actually change....GREAT STORY...nice fantasy world....just right up my alley. So glad y'all picked this game....otherwise I would have missed it. I'm having a blast guys...Hope y'all are too. Can't wait to see what kind of stuff unfolds a little later in the story! Later.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:29:21 PM by Neo » Logged

There is no Spoon - Neo
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2015, 05:38:01 PM »

Wow, sounds like you are kicking some a@$ shaggy lol...I just made it to chapter 3....trying to catch up guys.

Quick update and maybe a little advice if anyone's willing...
Spoiler (hover to show)

Furthermore....this game is amazing....such a good trip to the past! OHHHHH how I really genuinely miss the old graphics and gameplay mechanics of these old school games. Stories were ALWAYS good it seems like. And I just love them. This is turning out to be one heck of a fun game to me. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the newschool games as well and the way they can make games today is absolutely beautiful....but something about these old 16, 32, 64 bit graphics just seem so artistic and colorful and just beautiful to me as well. This game is really pretty. And I love the enemy design and how when you change weapons and classes your characters actually change....GREAT STORY...nice fantasy world....just right up my alley. So glad y'all picked this game....otherwise I would have missed it. I'm having a blast guys...Hope y'all are too. Can't wait to see what kind of stuff unfolds a little later in the story! Later.

When you promote characters, they lose a percentage of their stats (I think it's a quarter or something like that).  But now that they're promoted, you're going to start seeing much higher stat increases when they level up.  Plus, your units can only use the best weapons in the game if they're promoted.  So to put it simply, yeah, it's definitely worth promoting them.  There is a little bit of strategy involved, like if you wait a few levels to promote them, apparently it's better in the long run, but most people just promote at level 10 or so.

About the deals, I'm pretty sure the vendors only offer them if you missed an item in a battle.  Like if an enemy unit drops a really good weapon and you didn't have any inventory space to pick it up, the shopkeeper will offer it as a deal.

Anyway, be sure you take that Moonstone and use it to recruit Zylo before you leave town.  I'm not sure if he's missable or if the game forces you to get him, but either way, you'll definitely want to have him.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:09 PM »

Yeah, Zylo is a BEAST! ...... see what I did there?

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2015, 08:25:28 PM »

When you promote characters, they lose a percentage of their stats (I think it's a quarter or something like that).  But now that they're promoted, you're going to start seeing much higher stat increases when they level up.  Plus, your units can only use the best weapons in the game if they're promoted.  So to put it simply, yeah, it's definitely worth promoting them.  There is a little bit of strategy involved, like if you wait a few levels to promote them, apparently it's better in the long run, but most people just promote at level 10 or so.

About the deals, I'm pretty sure the vendors only offer them if you missed an item in a battle.  Like if an enemy unit drops a really good weapon and you didn't have any inventory space to pick it up, the shopkeeper will offer it as a deal.

Anyway, be sure you take that Moonstone and use it to recruit Zylo before you leave town.  I'm not sure if he's missable or if the game forces you to get him, but either way, you'll definitely want to have him.

Yeah I figured it was worth it to promote them. Just making sure. And about zylo, I had already figured I had to do SOMETHING with him just talking to people around town. Didn't know you could recruit him on "THE FORCE" lol...but I'll make sure to do that. And that definitely explains the deals thing too. I was just wondering because every town ive been too nothing was on the deal list so I guess now I know why. Thanks man. I was just making sure on some things. Sounds like you enjoyed your playthrough. Game is pretty fun isn't it? I like it. Fun playing it with y'all man.

Wouldn't be punning towards Disposed Hero would you? lol...

There is no Spoon - Neo
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »

Zylo is awesome!!!  He will never leave my party.  I want to try Domingo but I can't find a character to remove to fit him in.

@Neo - I heard that to get the strongest characters promote at level 20.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2015, 10:41:16 PM »

Domingo is a great toon, but you need to get him out early and keep him in. He has good magic and mobility, and he can actually tank physical damage pretty well.  I used him until endgame.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2015, 05:59:48 AM »

Domingo is a great toon, but you need to get him out early and keep him in. He has good magic and mobility, and he can actually tank physical damage pretty well.  I used him until endgame.

Great, now I have to figure out who to dump.  I found out early that you need to healers to heal. I tried one but I couldn't get to everyone and ran out of magic to heal.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2015, 07:07:14 AM »

I stopped using healers pretty early on. You have plenty of gold, so buy two seeds for each toon. Remember that you can use the healing items from one character on another during your turn.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:08:49 AM by singlebanana » Logged

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2015, 11:21:07 AM »

I'll second this.  I don't feel like he was an essential character for me personally, but still a great addition to the team.  I wish I could have leveled him up a bit higher before the end of the game so he would have had his higher level spells.

I stopped using healers pretty early on. You have plenty of gold, so buy two seeds for each toon. Remember that you can use the healing items from one character on another during your turn.

I used Khris for most of the game, but admittedly she was pretty useless.  As soon as I got Torasu (who gets recruited late in the game), I started using him.  I would agree with the comment about ditching the healers and just using Healing Seeds, except Torasu gets the very useful Aura spells, which can heal multiple units in one turn. 

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2015, 11:35:46 AM »

Yeah, I actually used Torasu for endgame as well. You get him very late and he has already been promoted, so it's worth keeping him around for Aura. I thought that a lot of the casters got kind of washed out toward the end anyway, but I kept a few around to attack multiple mobs at the same time with the higher level spells. Tao and Domingo made the final cut for me.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2015, 11:41:13 AM »

Tao and Domingo made the final cut for me.

Same here.

Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »

Nice to know about torasu. I use lowe and khris on my battle party but have been thinking about ditching them for more useful damage dealers. Have to make sure i get torasu. I do like having 1 good healer on my squad. 2 i think is overkill. Most of the time i hit stay on the healeers turn anyway so just feels like a waste. Torasus multiple healing spell sounds nice. Ive been wanting something like that my whole playthrough so far. Guess i can kind of ditch lowe and chris for now and focus more on damage dealers. Just hold out for torasu. Ill try it anyways see how it goes.

There is no Spoon - Neo
Neo
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »

Same here.

I love tao. Havent recruited domingo yet. Ill keep my eyes open

There is no Spoon - Neo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »

Same here.

I love tao. Havent recruited domingo yet. Ill keep my eyes open

I'm pretty sure Torasu joins your party automatically. Getting Domingo takes a few steps, so if you want want him, you may need to look at a guide.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length