RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:02:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Haruki Murakami 1Q84 Discussion Thread - There's always only one reality. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Haruki Murakami 1Q84 Discussion Thread - There's always only one reality.  (Read 40501 times)
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:34:48 AM »

1Q84 is a novel by Haruki Murakami written in three volumes in Japanese between 2009-2010 and released in English 2011.

The year is 1984 and the city is Tokyo.

A young woman named Aomame follows a taxi driver’s enigmatic suggestion and begins to notice puzzling discrepancies in the world around her. She has entered, she realizes, a parallel existence, which she calls 1Q84 —“Q is for ‘question mark.’ A world that bears a question.” Meanwhile, an aspiring writer named Tengo takes on a suspect ghostwriting project. He becomes so wrapped up with the work and its unusual author that, soon, his previously placid life begins to come unraveled.

A love story, a mystery, a fantasy, a novel of self-discovery, a dystopia to rival George Orwell’s—1Q84 is Haruki Murakami’s most ambitious undertaking yet: an instant best seller in his native Japan, and a tremendous feat of imagination from one of our most revered contemporary writers.

Singlebanana and I started reading it this week and have agreed that it would be cool to discuss it publicly as we read through it and encourage any interested RFGeneration members to join us!

There is no deadline nor checkpoints for this. The complete novel is over one thousand pages long. The great thing about a book discussion is that you can clearly note where you're pulling your spoilers from, before putting them in spoiler tags of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1Q84

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10357575-1q84

http://www.amazon.com/1Q8...;sr=8-1&keywords=1q84

So grab a copy and dive in!

Note: This novel contains explicit sexual and violent material and is recommended for a mature audience.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:30:33 AM by GrayGhost81 » Logged

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 12:06:13 PM »

RFGen book club meeting #1.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »

looks like i don't own it but i placed a hold at the library, hopefully it comes in soon. a few copies are due to be returned around the start of may, but they might show up sooner. in the meantime i think i'll read 1984 by George Orwell as it seems like a good prerequisite to this.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

I'm halfway through Chapter four. Murakami has been criticized for being overly verbose and leaving in a lot of superfluous dialogue, but being that my favorite author is Ayn Rand, I'm right at home with his style.

I'm enjoying the bouncing back and forth between the two main characters for each chapter so far. It makes me want to keep reading when a chapter ends.  Well that and that they're both pretty interesting already. Aomame's story thread is already filled with sex and action so that I want to see what happens to her next especially.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »

And let's not forget Tengo and his lactose dream fainting..... Tongue

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »

just got an email telling me my hold is ready for pickup at the library! sooner than expected, but i'm about 2/3 of the way through 1984 already so hopefully i'll have that finished by tomorrow at the latest.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 01:10:14 PM »

Awesome Jaime!

I can't put this book down. It is pretty much as strange as advertised, but I was really afraid it would be a tough read. On the contrary, I'm finding myself flying through it.

GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »

Man, this book is great. It is so odd and mysterious that when people ask me what it is about, I don't even know where to begin. I'm to the point now where some possibly significant plot threads are starting to form, but if everything before that was all (or some) for naught, it wouldn't matter as it is simply written in a way that makes whatever it is being written about interesting to read. That's a testament to the translation work as well of course.

I'm so glad I decided to pick this book up at a flea market last week, even though it was beat to shit, and further that Rich happened to be reading it already which spurred me to jump in.

Rich where you at?

How about anyone else? I know Ray and Jaime were working on procuring their copies. Anyone else going to jump in with us?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »

Still planning on going to the book sale on Saturday to see if they have it... Wink

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:14:41 AM »

I just hit Chapter 4 last night, so there was a big revelation in 3 as to what Aomame's occupation is. Wow, delivered the only way someone like Murakami can do it. I'm hooked. The book's out in my car so that I can read during lunch.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »

i had it in my hands at work last night but forgot to bring it home, oops. oh well, still have another 60 pages or so in 1984 anyway so i'll probably start it tomorrow when i'm back at work.
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 06:39:04 AM »

In my mind I'm imagining a white canvas on which two different color paint blobs are dropped. Tengo is a blue blob, Aomame is red (the colors have no significance, just trying to put you in my mind's eye). As the story unfolds, both paint blobs spread out in all different directions across the canvas and in some places, the two different colors cross paths and blend with each other. The main blobs (you might say the points of impact on the canvas) are, however still completely separate.

As much as I love our two main characters, I think Fuka-Eri is so effectively intriguing that I'm finding myself looking forward to Tengo's chapters in the hopes that he will be interacting with her.

I have added a disclaimer to the OP in regards to how explicit the novel is. Though I don't think anyone here will have an issue, Murakami pulls no punches with regards to sexual or violent material.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 07:46:09 AM »

In my mind I'm imagining a white canvas on which two different color paint blobs are dropped. Tengo is a blue blob, Aomame is red (the colors have no significance, just trying to put you in my mind's eye). As the story unfolds, both paint blobs spread out in all different directions across the canvas and in some places, the two different colors cross paths and blend with each other. The main blobs (you might say the points of impact on the canvas) are, however still completely separate.

As much as I love our two main characters, I think Fuka-Eri is so effectively intriguing that I'm finding myself looking forward to Tengo's chapters in the hopes that he will be interacting with her.

I have added a disclaimer to the OP in regards to how explicit the novel is. Though I don't think anyone here will have an issue, Murakami pulls no punches with regards to sexual or violent material.

That is such an apt description of this novel and a technique Murakami has implored before. There are indeed two separte tracts, one red and one blue, and at times they will mingle and make purple. The characters may not ever contact directly, but they will interact among the fringes. In one of our podcasts, I mentioned "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World," a novel I was reading during that time. In that, Murakami uses a similar technique, though one character is based in a cyber, film noir world of non-fiction, and the other exists in a fantastical world thought (maybe) to be a part of the human mind/conscious. I think it's neat to get these sort of alternating chapters, but it really challenges the author to keep both stories intriguing so that you are not just trying to slug through one section to get the character's story you like better. With my background, I tend to find the Tengo story a little more interesting and agree that the mysterious Fuka-Eri really keeps the pages turning. I'm a little over 100 pages in and progressing a bit slower than normal....

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »

That description really reminds me of portions of Cloud Atlas, which was fantastic in its own right. Aomame, in Japanese, is a large soybean/pea - not sure if that helps with character development at all, but it struck me as an intentional choice, and Japan has a cultural fixation with soybeans.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my trip to the book sale due to my college work falling behind too far, so I wasn't able to pick up a copy. I may still try to find one online from Amazon, or make a trip out to the library (which is ~12 miles away).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:36:56 AM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 09:56:36 PM »

that does sound very similar to cloud atlas which i found to be amazing as well. if this is anything like that then i'm excited to get started! had a pretty busy weekend so i didn't get a chance to start yet but i will, finishing up 1984 tonight so i'll probably start 1Q84 before bed.

edit: finished 1984! really enjoyed that but man that last part was brutal.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:24:11 PM by techwizard » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length