RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:24:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Valve, Bethesda, and Paid Mods 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Valve, Bethesda, and Paid Mods  (Read 1231 times)
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: April 26, 2015, 05:51:47 PM »

Traditionally PC video game mods have been labors of love by the community. Built by the hands of fans to suit whatever need they have in the chosen game, be it better graphics, new lands and levels, or just different ambient sound.  The one prominent feature of most of these video game mods was their price: Free (hence being a labor of love).  Sometimes there would be a breakaway story, but in most instances these were solely mods that were bought by a the company (being the mod the game was for) to be distributed as add-on or expansion packs.  In fact there are so many Cinderella stories about modders-to-millionaires (or at least getting a game design job) that a rather lengthy book could be written detailing this history.  Now all that is changed.  Whether it be good or evil will be determined in the future, but for now we have the initiative by Valve to allow for cost being attached to mods, effective three days ago, and to kick it off there is a fat discount on the first game (and only game as of now) to support paid mods.

Now to me this sounds like a double-edged sword.  On one hand we have modders finally able to get money for their hard work, which will most certainly lead to some truly horrible and lazy mods, we would also get some truly polished mods.  On the other hand apparently the way this works is that the publisher gets a cut of any paid funds (which seems fair), which in the case of Skyrim could be as high as 75% to Bethesda.  According to Gabe Newell (via Redit) the percentage is entirely up to the publisher.

As just about anyone could have predicted, the Internet has exploded in fury.  Negative reviews on the Skyrim Steam page have ballooned to over fifteen thousand.  Valve CEO Gabe Newell has even cut a trip short to help on damage control.  Despite this the negative reviews don't read well at all, making what could be good points out to be complains by spoiled children.  Going by the first few Steam reviews one would gather that all the mods are now under lock and key, available only when you give out your credit card/Paypal/first born child.  There is even some poetic verse, although it seems more about a violent coup than entertaining the mind.  It is amusing, though.

What does this mean to PC gamers?  As of right now, very little.  Looking on the Skyrim workshop I see a grand total of seventeen paid mods that are currently available (there were more, but some are removed) and over twenty-five thousand free.  There is also a "Paid Items - Under Review" section, which at the moment contains ninety-two mods.  They range from new weapons to giving you large amounts of gold to your character.  My personal favorite is Rubbish Bucket DLC by cheapbuster.  He/she states that the mod is a bucket that will contain all of your rubbish, but currently is an "Early Access" mod and is in actuality a small pile of wood until he/she gets enough money for the to fix it.  However one can always place your rubbish on top of the pile of wood until the bucket is fixed.

What does everyone think of this change?  Is this good or bad or the scene?  Will this move make you look differently on Bethesda/Valve/Steam?

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »

You jumped the gun. All the outrage and emails made Valve and Bethesda cave.

http://steamcommunity.com...detail/208632365253244218

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 08:31:44 PM »

Well, at least I didn't turn it into a blog post.  It would have stayed in the sidebar far longer to taunt me.

- Han Solo
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »

Well shucks. This was going to get me out of my quasi-lurker status and actually comment here.....

I was reading up on a few different peoples thoughts (PC Gamer articles and whatnot) before I wrote something here which is why I didn't say something earlier. I guess we could talk about it anyways, what should the 'paid mod' community be like? Why was this taken so hard by so many people?

I pretty much side on the side of free market systems and am kinda surprised when others aren't.
Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:26:02 PM »

Valve pulled a Microsoft. I knew that paying for mods wasn't going to fly with the PC community, especially when quality control on mods is still kind of an issue. I certainly don't want to pay for something and not know what I'm getting into (hello Season Passes).

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:56:48 PM »

that looked like they were only pulling out of the skyrim community for paid mods, what about the rest of them? i heard steam had a review list of nearly 100 games that potentially could implement the paid mod system. this doesn't look like it's valve pulling out, just bethesda.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:10:10 AM »

that looked like they were only pulling out of the skyrim community for paid mods, what about the rest of them? i heard steam had a review list of nearly 100 games that potentially could implement the paid mod system. this doesn't look like it's valve pulling out, just bethesda.

I heard the same thing as well, and I'm sure this isn't the end of paid mods on Steam.  I mean, this isn't anything new, just new to most people.  Big fans of flight and train sims have been shelling out mucho dinero for "add-ons" for years now.  I used to shake my head all the time when looking over the cost of of planes in FS 2004, but in this age of day-one DLC and season passes I guess everyone may have to put up with it.  I imagine once the fervor has died down either Bethesda or someone else will try it again.

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length