RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:05:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Revolution Details from Nintendo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Revolution Details from Nintendo  (Read 8694 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2005, 06:12:30 AM »

Business Week interviewed Miyamoto.  What he said about the controller and the idea behind Revolution are (to me) a bit bothersome.  I don't want to sit around and play games with my family.  I want to sit in a dark room, alone, and play games.  Their plan hardly sounds like a good thing to tout to the average 18-25 male gamer.

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/162

In a recent interview with Business Week online, Nintendo's head game designer Shigeru Miyamoto provided various comments about innovation, making hit games and the like, but also discussed Nintendo's next-generation console, code-named the Nintendo Revolution.

When asked about how Revolution would differ from the competition, Miyamoto responded by saying that “the concept behind Revolution” was for “families to play video games together.” Miyamoto added that he “redesigned the Revolution's controller to look more like a regular TV remote so anyone who saw it would know instantly how to use it, and so they wouldn't think they had to stash it away.”

On the topic of Nintendo's target market, Miyamoto said he disagrees with people who say that “Nintendo is for kids, and Sony is for adults.” He also says that “there are plenty of 60-year-olds who will play the games [Nintendo makes].” Miyamoto then cited his recent creation Nintendogs, saying that although “women in their 20s haven't been a major target for game makers, but many young women have found [Nintendo's] games fun, especially Nintendogs.”

Lastly, Business Week asked Miyamoto to paint his personal image of the future of video games. The Mario creator responded by saying “it's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that.”

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2005, 11:20:21 AM »

Yeah, that is a bit odd. The only explenation I can think of is that Nintendo knows they can't compete on the same level as Sony and Microsoft, and thus look for a different market.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length