RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:37:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Revolution Details from Nintendo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Revolution Details from Nintendo  (Read 8691 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2005, 11:30:46 AM »

Teaser Trailer makes it seem more interesting and less frightening than originally seen.

The "Zelda" demo and "Metroid Prime" demo were by far the most interesting parts of the teaser. I would say that the way the guy was playing Zelda was pretty cool, though will people really want to make those of motions to play games? Time shall tell.

Teaser Trailer can be found on IGN, for those who want to view it.

Not surprisingly, there is a traditional controller peripheral...

"Eurogamer: How is the controller going to work with games that aren't designed specifically for the Revolution - multi-platform titles and so on?

Jim Merrick: We're producing a classic-style expansion controller, based on traditional designs like the Gamecube controller. It's like a shell with a hole in the top into which you slot the freehand-style controller, and then you can play third-party ported games, and retro Nintendo games you've downloaded."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:11:06 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2005, 12:48:28 PM »

Yea definately Nintendo you are the revoluitionary champs of the world. There was never a 1 handed controller ever before in the history of gaming.

Iz, you're being sarcastic, right? Light guns and paddles have been around from the beginning. And let's not forget the track ball...

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »

Yea that was extreme sarcasm.

This realy isn't revolutionary they just improved on mostly failed ideas.
Just like the DS did.(touch screen, microphone, etc.)

That did pretty damn good though so Revolution probably will too.

Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2005, 03:24:15 PM »

They did pretty well with the microphone on the Famicom too.

Me vs Gretzky
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2005, 05:26:23 AM »

Since someone on another forum didn't believe that there where other 1 handed controllers out there i had to make a stand.
Here are the ones i found doing a generic one handed controller search on yahoo.

I had never known about the 2 PS2 controllers until about 20  minutes ago.

Other one handed controllers:

PS2
http://www.gizmodo.com/ar...ps2-controller-021028.php
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-e-70-4sc.html
http://www.lik-sang.com/i...y=14&products_id=3040

PS
http://shopping.yahoo.com...lYwNmZWVkBHNsawN2Z2FtZXM-
http://www.ncsx.com/2004/ncs062104/shs_558.htm (looks like the ASCII one)

SNES/Genesis
http://www.planetnintendo...m/thewarpzone/gripit.html

Vladimir
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2005, 09:53:04 PM »

2 to 3 times more powerful than the GC doesn't sound very powerful at all. I guess Nintendo thinks they don't need much power to make good games.

Graphics mean nothing.

Nintendo has once again proved to be the innovator.  And in my eyes, that makes them worth something.  I just wish Sega was here...

Anyway, the Revolution is the only new gen system that seems even a bit appealing to me.  The Xbox 360 has 0 games that intrest me, just like the Xbox.  Besides that, it's filled with junk that I'm never going to use and I don't much care about online gaming.

As for the PS3, nothing seems appealing yet, except MGS4, which lost a lot of my excitiment when I found out that Snake and Otacon both look like child molesters.

The controller really is a great idea though.  I cannot wait to get my hands around it.

NDiddy
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2005, 10:06:12 PM »

Graphics mean nothing.

Nintendo has once again proved to be the innovator.  And in my eyes, that makes them worth something.  I just wish Sega was here...

Anyway, the Revolution is the only new gen system that seems even a bit appealing to me.  The Xbox 360 has 0 games that intrest me, just like the Xbox.  Besides that, it's filled with junk that I'm never going to use and I don't much care about online gaming.

As for the PS3, nothing seems appealing yet, except MGS4, which lost a lot of my excitiment when I found out that Snake and Otacon both look like child molesters.

The controller really is a great idea though.  I cannot wait to get my hands around it.

Lmao just so everyone knows what he means about mgs4

http://media.ps3.ign.com/...ia/714/714044/imgs_1.html

And to bring it back to topic...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 10:10:03 PM by NDiddy » Logged

[img width=360 height=72]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/netwetty/ndiddycopy.jpg[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2005, 06:30:06 AM »

That shell you put the controller doesnt help much for me. I didnt like the Game Cube controller all that much.

I watched the video for the new controller and that didnt help me like it at all. Oh well  :-/

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2005, 06:31:25 AM »

I didn't see any priest in those pictures.  Tongue

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2005, 08:29:51 AM »

Well, they said that they shell would look like a mainstream controller such as the Gamecube's. However, that does not imply that the shell will actually look like a GameCube controller. Given the fact that the Revolution has controller ports for the Gamecube controller, I would not be surprised if the traditional controller shell appeared to look like like a hybrid of a Gamecube and SNES controller. But that is just me, and purely speculation.

Hello World.
PDorr3
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 08:52:31 PM »

I didnt bother to read any of this topic since its basicaly gonna be the same discussion as other forums, but I just want to say one thing.
Dont judge it until you play it.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2005, 07:02:47 AM »

Too late, I already have.  

Why couldn't Nintendo just make this an accessory instead of the main controller?  This doesn't even seem right.  Imagine playing Smash Bros. with this controller.  I can't imagine it would be at all comfortable.

Until they revealed this contoller I was going to buy it on launch day.  Now I am going to wait to test it out.  Not that I believe in this controller anyways.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2005, 09:33:14 AM »

Why couldn't Nintendo just make this an accessory instead of the main controller?  

Because then they couldn't charge you for that controller thing that goes around it. If there's one thing nintendo is good at, it's selling things without including everything that's needed to make full use of that thing. Like the headphone adapter for the GBA SP.
yap
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2005, 10:36:13 AM »

Because then they couldn't charge you for that controller thing that goes around it. If there's one thing nintendo is good at, it's selling things without including everything that's needed to make full use of that thing. Like the headphone adapter for the GBA SP.

Eh, I imagine the reason is similar to how many games end up being designed after perepherials that aren't included with the console.  If this is the main intended source of control, then most of the games will be designed with that in mind.

How many games can I play with a dancepad, or bongos, or the NES robot, or whatever?

I don't really see what all the big fuss is about.  It seems like it could be very neat.  Most of the developers seem interested. (http://www.next-gen.biz/i...&id=1084&Itemid=2)

All of the consoles are so similar right now in terms of graphics and speed, I'm happy that Nintendo is actually making a reason for buying a new one.  I mean, there really isn't much difference between an X-Box and an X-Box 360.

I'm planning on buying a Revolution on release, and I've always been more of a Sega person than Nintendo.  I'm not excited about an X-Box 360 or PS3 in the least bit.

But like other people have said all along, it'll be hard to judge until you get your hands on it.  I'm anticipating something big.  I could be wrong, I liked the Jaguar.  Tongue

Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2005, 02:50:05 PM »

I still cannot get excited by new consoles. I pretty much lost interest after the DC.

The only console series I'm likely play is Pro Evolution Soccer and even that's on the PC as well. I played Tekken 5 the other day and it was one of the most boring experiences of my life. Halo is the most overrated pile of cack ever. And yes, I am bored of EA riding on the back of the license acquired after the awesome Goldeneye, with a billion unforgivably dire spin-offs.

All most consoles are trying to be these days are budget PCs stuffed into a small box and easy enough to understand for Mum & Dad to buy little Johnny at christmas, stacked to the teeth with sequels, tired ideas and boring concepts to make some corporations uberbucks.  At least Nintendo seem to be trying something different in more recent years (I actually enjoyed the intuitiveness of Wario Ware: Touched on the DS, particularly the retro mode).

What I hope for is more companies such as Cronosoft begining to develop for old consoles and computers again, so I don't have to worry about enduring more interactive-novel monstrosities. And no, this does NOT include god damn re-releases for mobile phones; when will people understand that mobile phones are HORRIBLE platforms to develop for and play on. You cannot even call it a gaming experience (what ergonomics?)

Maybe I'm just pissed off with the current state of the industry on the whole. 'Medal of Honor: Obscure Historical Event 53' and the fucking SIMS make jesus weep. The whole thing has become so stagnant and screwed over by corporations. It's no longer 'who can make the best game, with the most memorable moments, addictive qualities and characters you can relate with', it's just who can throw the most money at a game, perhaps with some kind of license, and flashy graphics on the latest hardware. It's not the HARDWARE that is the problem, it's the GAMEPLAY. Yes, some games might be quirky and a little different, perhaps even well made, but there is simply a complete lack of any real creativity about these days. It's impossible with the current average amount of people in development teams. One person cannot have a vision and have it worked upon without some suited arsehole telling them that it doesn't comply with their marketing campaign, or is a bit too radical. Or the other 437 people in the team don't think it sounds that interesting, heck, maybe a bit too risky in employment terms (somebody has to be paid to clean the Ferarri).

Look at the Counter-Strike situation on the PC for instance, Valve have shown time and again that they DO NOT CARE what the majority of their gaming community wants, and they are only too happy to include ridiculous new features that will appeal to new players and infuriate others who actually know the game a little better. To give them credit, this is an excellent marketing campaign. Most casual gamers will play the game for a short while due to the 'awesome' features for newbies, and rush to tell their mates all about it. More cash in pocket for Valve, screw those who actually WANT to play games with some purpose of long-term enjoyment.

The games industry now rakes in more than that of its movie counterpart. Come one come all, cash in today. Gamers have proven that as long as the first impression counts, they will throw money at new releases when they are bored with the lack of depth or gameplay of an old one.

Today, a friend asked me what games I was looking forward to this year. I could only name 3 I think, and one is actually out in 2006. 1 is a modification for HL2, made by a non-profit bunch of gamers. And the other? Call me a hypocrite; it's the next installment of Pro Evolution Soccer. This is what it has come down to.

And, as a real gamer, what do I play instead of these outstandingly sickening advances in the interactive-movie industry (yes, I think that's more fitting)? A hell of a lot of retro games.

Yeah this is a rant, and somewhat off-topic. But I'm bored.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 03:02:16 PM by Sureshot » Logged

Me vs Gretzky
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length