RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:15:12 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print
Author Topic: Mega Man 2 & 3 - Retro Playthrough - June 2015  (Read 35267 times)
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2015, 03:20:48 PM »

My MM3 cart does that glitchy thing too. 

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2015, 04:29:00 PM »

My MM3 cart does that glitchy thing too. 

Same

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2015, 09:51:25 PM »

I'm sorry, I've been hammered with kids sports every night during the week except Friday.  Hopefully, Golden Axe will fair better for me.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2015, 11:27:16 PM »

Oh, here's a big one that I've been meaning to ask...

On the MM3 stage select screen, does anyone else have a slight graphical glitch near Shadow Man? I remember playing an emulator years ago and it was like this and I just figured it was because of the emulator. But my MM3 cart does this too. Is this the way it is for every MM3 cart?

When I noticed this glitch in my Mega Man 3 cart, I tried my Rockman 3 cart. The glitch is still there in the Japanese release.

I've heard it reported that Keiji Inafune does not like Mega Man 3 because the time crunch during development was so tight there was no time for bug fixing and polishing. This glitch may be the most obvious legacy of this crunch.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2015, 06:41:14 AM »

I've heard it reported that Keiji Inafune does not like Mega Man 3 because the time crunch during development was so tight there was no time for bug fixing and polishing. This glitch may be the most obvious legacy of this crunch.
Well, he should like it, it's a great game and it could be argued that it's the best MM on NES. I really can't think of any bugs in that game besides the one on the select screen. MM4 seemed the more rushed to me than MM3.
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2015, 06:56:17 AM »

Well, he should like it, it's a great game and it could be argued that it's the best MM on NES. I really can't think of any bugs in that game besides the one on the select screen. MM4 seemed the more rushed to me than MM3.

Well, the story I heard was that Inafune sees the game he wanted MM3 to be, and that the game it is doesn't measure up.  Notably, he couldn't put in cut scenes to carry the story like he wanted.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »

Well, the story I heard was that Inafune sees the game he wanted MM3 to be, and that the game it is doesn't measure up.  Notably, he couldn't put in cut scenes to carry the story like he wanted.

I think MM3 is a great game, but there are instances when playing it where I feel like it might have been rushed. Some people point to the shorter levels compared to MM2 as an example, and to me at least, I think that MM2 looks crisper graphically (though some may argue). The inclusion of additional "hoops" to jump through before the Dr. Wiley stage seems odd and unnecessary and has no supporting storyline. I can't help but but feel like, "Why am I doing this? Who is this new enemy who takes on the traits of the MM2 bosses?"  Again, I like MM3 and even would consider it a worthy successor, but playing them side-by-side, I get a better sense of the latter being a bit less polished.

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:13 PM »

Switched over to MegaMan 2 last night for a bit. Got two bosses left than off to Wiley's castle. I've beaten it before recently. Figure I'd knock this out and track back over to megaman 3. We'll see 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now your playing with power!
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »

no supporting storyline.
Now that you mention it, and Ikariniku mentioned it being rushed, I think I had the title screen all wrong.

I've always thought that the title screen was awesome. No bells, no whistles, no story. I read it like -  "Here I am. I'm Mega Man f****** 3. I'm comin' at you raw, so hit the start button and let's get it on!!"

But after reading what you guys have said, I know that it wasn't intended to be taken that way and it's just the result of a rushed game.

On the other hand, the boss patterns in MM3 are more sophisticated than the previous MM's. There was much more planning and design. They also took a small leap of faith and went outside-the-box by not using standard 'elements' when creating them. Snake Man?! Top Man?! A clever way to prevent it from becoming too stale.

Also, I always thought a major flaw in MM2 was the weaknesses of the robot masters. Metal Blade is SUPER effective against 3 or 4 of the robot masters and most of the robot masters are weak against multiple weapons. To me, that aspect of the game seemed rushed or there was a lot of confusion about what they really wanted to achieve.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »

We recorded the Mega Man 2 & 3 podcast last night. Duke joined Disposed and I, so I hope you guys will give it a listen when it comes out early next month.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »

Nice I def have to hear this one.

I'm out at 9 tonight so hoping to beat mega man 2 than back to 3

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2015, 10:59:54 AM »

And MegaMan 2 done.
[img width=700 height=525]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/26/b17df33ccba41bbeae7cf969b5b9b9c6.jpg[/img]
[img width=700 height=525]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/26/d56f37fb7f95c703557bb8cd38e1fdfc.jpg[/img]

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »

Nice work Russ!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2015, 11:28:28 PM »

Congrats!

MetalFRO
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2015, 10:17:36 AM »

I've been under the weather, and haven't felt like doing anything but watching TV, but hopefully today or tomorrow I'll feel up to playing a bit, and maybe I can get farther.  The 2-boss stages after the 8 main bosses are kind of brutal.  Not the stages themselves, but having to fight 2 bosses and try not to burn an E-tank.  That, and, since I didn't spend any time truly memorizing patterns (because I knew which weapons were effective against which bosses), with different weaknesses, I'm having to adjust what I'm doing.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length