RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:49:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 33 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 33  (Read 12399 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »

Collectorcast Episode 33: If You Teach a Man to Pizza

Episode 33 discussion thread: http://www.rfgeneration.c...rum/index.php?topic=15847

It's that time of year again. We have watched the coverage, digested the announcements, and are here to share our thoughts on the Super Bowl for nerds that is E3. Did we buy the hype? Were there things that excited you that we left out?

Get the show at http://www.collectorcast.com
Follow the Collectorcast on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Collectorcast
Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Collectorcast
On Stitcher (enter Promo Code RFGeneration): http://www.stitcher.com/RFGeneration
On iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/u...collectorcast/id524246060
On YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/Collectorcast

Show Notes
Music: Wizards & Warriors (NES)
E3 Breakdown - 7:48
Outro - 3:02:09
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:58:05 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »

WOO!  Thanks guys!

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 11:02:39 AM »

I was a little surprised that you guys weren't more enamored with Horizon: Zero Dawn. I thought that the setting, the game play, and the idea behind the game were fascinating. One critique I had of it was the you really couldn't tell what the story was about with the trailer. Sure they tried, but it was rather minimal and incomplete. I did find this stage interview from Gamespot, which helped to clear up a few things and got me even more excited about this one: 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 11:09:33 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 01:17:05 PM »

Dishonored might make a good candidate for a community play through.

They showed off Cuphead recently:

@Duke: Do you still spell out Nintendo in RC-Pro AM Rare Replay Edition?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 02:09:05 PM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 01:24:43 PM »

@singlebanana: No gameplay to go off of. If I don't know how a game plays, I don't have much to get excited about.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 03:14:48 PM »

@singlebanana: No gameplay to go off of. If I don't know how a game plays, I don't have much to get excited about.

There was gameplay footage at the end of the announcement trailer...... Starts around 2:28. Apparently, this is one of the scavenging missions in the game.

Just heard the end of the podcast. Hell yeah Crabby, you and me bro.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:17:13 PM by singlebanana » Logged

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »

Looks like a target video to me. Need to see what the game is really all about.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 07:35:44 PM »

haven't listened to the episode yet (and didn't pay too much attention to E3 tbh) but i have to agree with Rich about Horizon, even the little it shows in that one video looks awesome, i'd be surprised if the final product is significantly different unless it comes out years from now.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 09:13:34 PM »

Call me jaded, but when there are things like this:

I'll take a wait-and-see approach.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:03 PM »

Call me jaded, but when there are things like this:
I'll take a wait-and-see approach.

but that proves the point, doesn't it? that 2009 trailer doesn't look significantly different than the 2015 one we got this year. of course not getting excited when there's potentially a long wait is a good plan too but the point was that the reveal itself is still worth commenting on because the game isn't likely to be significantly different when it eventually comes out.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2015, 01:32:37 AM »

It's my point that the actual game isn't shown. What we saw in 2015 was almost the same as 2009, some chunk that doesn't explain to me what the game is all about. No HUD, no playable demos, no explanation of the mechanics.

Of course E3 is full of these, as many of them are just not far enough along. Some of these games will never come out. I understand why someone is interested in what they see in the Horizon trailer, but it just isn't enough to interest me. I hope it shapes up to be a great game. Hopefully by next E3 there will be something solid to show.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »

It's my point that the actual game isn't shown. What we saw in 2015 was almost the same as 2009, some chunk that doesn't explain to me what the game is all about. No HUD, no playable demos, no explanation of the mechanics.

Of course E3 is full of these, as many of them are just not far enough along. Some of these games will never come out. I understand why someone is interested in what they see in the Horizon trailer, but it just isn't enough to interest me. I hope it shapes up to be a great game. Hopefully by next E3 there will be something solid to show.

ahh alright, now i think i understand better what you're getting at and that makes sense. though considering the Ico and SotC HuDs i could imagine last guardian being pretty minimal anyway in that department.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2015, 11:16:37 AM »

Great episode, guys.  At first blush I was 100% in opposition with what Bil said about the Oculus (and VR gaming in general), but then I thought back to the little demo I got at my work once and have to now firmly agree.  For those already in the PC space it might not be too much of a monetary hit, but that will likely be the only audience they manage to snag - people who are only the price of an Oculus away from the purchase.  Telling either the non-tech enthusiast or console gamer they need to spend ~$1200 (with the Oculus) is too much.  Niche to the max.

On another note I'd say the Microsoft's stab at augmented reality is probably the closest thing to VR that could make the mainstream.  My dad's eyes lite up when I mentioned he could put on the glasses and be watching his movies in a faux movie theater while still being able to see his popcorn and drink.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 11:37:49 AM »

If you watch the interview of the creators that I posted first, they explain that when you see is a mission in the game and that it is actual gameplay footage. Sure, the intro is a trailer, but the later part is said to be gameplay. When they are interviewed, they also mention that the reason you're kind of left in the dark about a good deal of the story is because they don't want to give any of the major reveals away. I know that it could just be words, but I do appreciate getting just enough to interest me, while at the same time, not something that is going to spoil the big reveals (like most modern movie trailers). I think they did a fine job in capturing my attention, and a great deal of attention of many viewers (some saying it was the most interesting reveal of the show). Looks like a super cool game and I encourage anyone interested in it to watch the above stage interview.  I think they were in a tough place coming in immediately after Last Guardian.

For me, the best of the reveals in terms of my interest and what I saw, went in this order:

1. Playstation
2. Bethesda
3. XBox
4. Nintendo
5. EA

As most of you know, I'm pretty pro-Nintendo, having grown up on it, but I thought their show was pretty disappointing.

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »

I agree with Rich, that the Nintendo part was disappointing. The best part about it, was the puppet segment. The only game that I was remotely interested in by Nintendo, was Star Fox, and I had honestly forgot about it, until this Podcast.

I make no qualms about being Anti-xbox, and didn't watch the Microsoft segment, as I choose to catch up on sleep that morning (coming off Graveyard shift) instead of wasting my time. Unfortunately, I also missed out on Bethesda, which probably would have been my second favourite part of E3.

So for me, Sony was the best part about E3. Between Last Guardian and FFVII remake, my attention was captured

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length