RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:41:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 35 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 35  (Read 19323 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2015, 11:40:32 AM »

I do recall certain games costing more like a racing game for Genesis (Super Monaco GP was it?
Virtua Racing? That was more expensive due to having the SVP chip inside.
EDIT: Wikipedia says "US$100 in the United States and £70 in the United Kingdom."

Yea, Virtua Racing is the game!  I don't think many games were priced higher than the normal price if my memory serves me correctly.  I can only recall a few.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »

I read today that Retro VGS is switching its campaign to Indiegogo, as Kickstarter requires a working prototype for hardware projects. This makes me even less interested in funding up front. I'm staying with the wait-and-see approach on this one.

I was in until I heard this. You want $300 for a system that you wont even confirm works? Good luck. I will buy one if it ever gets made.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »

Also, Duke is correct. Shazam and Captain Marvel are the same character.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 07:49:19 PM »

I'd been wondering where all the Retro VGS talk was, just listened to the podcast today and realized it must be here!

I am much closer to the Crabby side of things than the Duke side. This has been a pretty exciting thing to watch. The idea of this console is amazing and I love it. The only thing keeping me from pitching in is the upcoming VR stuff I plan to spending real money on, if it wasn't for that I would've bought in to the VGS first day. If the VGS was at the $140-180 price point which was originally hinted at, I would have bought in first day.

The console sounds great, I would rather have this than either a PS4 or Xbox One if I had to choose. You guys were talking about how this project may be suffering from 'feature-creep,' that's true but it's made it look so much better.....except it's now out of the range I'm willing to spend*  Although I normally think all the comparisons to the Retron 5 hurt the VGS' campaign, you did bring up the fact that the Retron also had an ever increasing price. When that thing was first announced it was going to be $99, I would have bought one at that price, I'll still buy one at that price if I get the chance. So, I guess there's conversation to be had over the 'added feature set vs. the higher price' issue. Seems like games will likely be spendier too. At first the story was they were hoping for $20-40, now it seems like $40-70 is the range.

This wouldn't be the first time I've "Kickstarted" a SoCal Mike thing. My 'Retro' magazine subscription is in it's second year now, subscriber since day one. I have the Atari 2600 game he stars in, CGE Adventures, and I've met him in real life. His true enthusiasm for games is so fun. You don't have to hear him talk for long to know that he really enjoys this stuff. Hopefully this campaign for the VGS turns out successful. You never know, if the story gets picked up by some major outlet, it could take off.

* Still, I'd almost get in on this. If it wasn't for my life long dream of flying a space ship while sitting at home promised to us by 90's sci-fi about to be fulfilled by Oculus and Valve, I'd be in.

Each week I listen to tons of podcasts, in a given month I'm sure I listen to at least 80 shows. 100 might be closer. Some are long, some short. Some are daily shows, others weekly, bi-weekly, monthly or random. The Collectorcast has something over all of them though. The amount of time spent on the 'telling people where you can find us!' segment. Easily the longest of any podcast ever made ever. I'm pretty sure there's been months were that one segment on the Collectorcast is longer than every other podcasts' segment I've listened since the last Collectorcast put together! Congragrations on having the longest segment.
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:27:14 PM »

Five Aside Soccer for the C64 was another great sports game.

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 09:06:57 PM »

Also, Duke is correct. Shazam and Captain Marvel are the same character.

I thought so...

@nupoile: I've met Mike as well at CGE. Really nice guy. After just listening to the last Retro Gaming Roundup Retro VGS special, it sounds like the feature creep might be Steve Woita's doing. Like you, the initial idea of a $180 retro console that used carts and played like a 16-bit machine sounded very appealing, but I'm wondering if Steve pushed this in the other direction. Once it is all said and done we may get to find out, but through all of their social media it has always sounded to me that there were multiple voices talking about the product, and they weren't always aligned.

Also, I don't know if having the longest where to find us segment is a compliment or a complaint, but I'll accept it as the former. It's only at the end of the show anymore, so I figure regular listeners will probably just stop by the time they get to the outro segment. I like to toss in the occasional odd piece at the very end when we have it just to reward those that go all the way through.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »

For those interested more information about Kevtris (he made the NES HDMI kit)  and his involvement in/departure from  the Retro VGS project see Post #1823:

http://atariage.com/forum...ted-yet-retro-vgs/page-73

It looks like Kevtris is considering making his own system:

http://atariage.com/forum...d-videogame-system/page-3

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:43:17 AM by Addicted » Logged

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 12:07:41 PM »

Kevtris is a brilliant guy. If he can pair up with right business people I'd be interested in what he could put together.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »

$180 and I would have bought it.  I don't need all this fancy stuff.  I just want a cartridge system with games $30-$40 and from the 8-bit and 16-bit.  Done deal!

SMS set complete!
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 06:33:28 PM »

There's an interview with Kevtris regarding the Retro VGS here:

http://nintendolegend.com...-horton-on-the-retro-vgs/

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »

It seems the Retro VGS Indiegogo campaign has been ended early so that they can go back to the drawing board and fix the issues. I wish Mike and the crew the best, and I think this was a very wise decision.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 10:01:42 PM »

I was just going to ask if anyone has put money towards that.  I guess it's a no now.

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »

I was just going to ask if anyone has put money towards that.  I guess it's a no now.

Crabby and I didn't. It really fell apart quickly.

MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 08:45:08 PM »

I was quite excited about the prospect of the RetroVGS when I first read about it, but listening to all the exploratory conversation you guys had, it's obvious that it still needs some ironing out before they can really go to people and ask them to fund something that truly hasn't been fully formulated yet.  It's a shame, because the idea itself has a lot of promise, if implemented properly and offered at a reasonable price point.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 09:25:01 PM »

I was quite excited about the prospect of the RetroVGS when I first read about it, but listening to all the exploratory conversation you guys had, it's obvious that it still needs some ironing out before they can really go to people and ask them to fund something that truly hasn't been fully formulated yet.  It's a shame, because the idea itself has a lot of promise, if implemented properly and offered at a reasonable price point.

I 100% agree.  I love the idea and concept but things need to be ironed out.  It's priced way too high, also.

SMS set complete!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length