RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:58:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo NES Library Guide & Review Book Kickstarter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nintendo NES Library Guide & Review Book Kickstarter  (Read 1040 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:11:33 AM »

Oh my goodness, I so want this!  It's right up my alley.  Not sure if it is worth $60 for a physical copy, though. 

https://www.kickstarter.c...de-and-review-book-of-750

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »

Looking at the very short reviews of these games, I just don't see that the book is worth the $60 value, unless you just like to have the pictures and the additional reviews of the non-NSTC games.  If you like nice, concise reviews of games, check out Brett Weiss' books. His 1985-1988 edition covers the NES, SMS, and the 7800. Brett is a member here and typically runs a sale around the holidays. It may be worth contacting him through a PM, though he's not a very active member and I'm not sure how often he checks it.  I have two of his books and I have been very satisfied with them. They come in hardcover (maybe more since I think they are OOP) and softcover. (http://www.amazon.com/Cla...fRID=03YB19JVNC9AK5EC051S)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:52:54 AM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:32:25 AM »

Brett answers his PMs, though it's easier to contact him through his website.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:05:07 PM »

Looking at the very short reviews of these games, I just don't see that the book is worth the $60 value, unless you just like to have the pictures and the additional reviews of the non-NSTC games.  If you like nice, concise reviews of games, check out Brett Weiss' books. His 1985-1988 edition covers the NES, SMS, and the 7800. Brett is a member here and typically runs a sale around the holidays. It may be worth contacting him through a PM, though he's not a very active member and I'm not sure how often he checks it.  I have two of his books and I have been very satisfied with them. They come in hardcover (maybe more since I think they are OOP) and softcover. (http://www.amazon.com/Cla...fRID=03YB19JVNC9AK5EC051S)

I agree, I thought $60 is way too much for that.  I'll check out Brett's books.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »

From the Ultimate Nintendo: Guide to the NES Library kickstarter page:

About the reviewers

Brett Weiss is the author of the “Classic Home Video Games” series, and of The 100 Greatest Console Video Games: 1977-1987. A gamer since 1974, Weiss has had articles published in Game Informer, Classic Gamer Magazine, Retro magazine, Video Game Collector, and Video Game Trader. Find Brett at www.brettweisswords.com.

So Brett wrote part of the book.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length