RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:57:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | RF Generation Podcasts (Moderators: Crabmaster2000, Duke.Togo, wildbil52) | RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 37 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: RF Generation Collectorcast Episode 37  (Read 24318 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 10:25:48 AM »

Rich is right that there is a physical release for Jack Box now!

Also important to note, Quiplash is not a part of the first PS3 Party Pack.......... I wonder if it has to be downloaded separately.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Ikariniku
Atari 7800

Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 04:32:16 PM »

This may be presumptuous, but I would like to toss my hat in the ring to be the third wheel on an episode about Famicom games.  There is just so much I have to say about collecting the system and the games.

When I was a kid, everyone agreed that Aladdin was better on the Genesis because "he's got a sword!"  Remind me, how often did Aladdin use a sword in the movie?

Best Co-op Games:

Contra (NES): One of the only games my brother and I actually cooperated in.

Rushing Beat Ran/Brawl Brothers (SFC/SNES): If you want to play a co-op beat 'em up on the SNES, this is the one.  Good graphics, good design, varied playstyles with the player characters, I've had a lot of fun playing this with friends.

Streets of Rage 2 (GEN): If you want to play a co-op beat 'em up on the Genesis, this is the one.  Featuring the best design of any of the Streets of Rage games, this is always a blast to play through.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon (SFC): If you or your friends have a machismo allergy or are just looking for an alternative to the typical urban crime or high fantasy beat 'em up, try this sweet 'em up(TM) featuring everyone's favorite Pretty Soldiers.  Excellent design, graphics and sound make this a must play.

Champions of Norrath (PS2): A simple 4-player hack and slash set in the Everquest universe.  Its ludicrous story, easy item duplication, and gamebreaking bugs only make it more endearing.

While I often bristle at the idea that beat 'em ups are "only" fun played with others, that doesn't change the fact that they are great fun played with friends.  Of course, most co-op games are...

I'd really like too second SB's recommendation for Final Fight CD, but I haven't played it!  Not all of us are lucky enough to get a great deal on a copy out in the wild.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thief by Pacific Novelty (1981):

That is awesome!  I love the voiceover. laugh

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »

Some good co-op games:

Contra
Lifeforce (or was this 2 players switching off)
Streets of Rage
Final Fight
TMNT II
TMNT IV

SMS set complete!
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »

Lifeforce is 2 player simultaneous. These are all great titles. We tried to pick some out that weren't the normal ones everyone brings up, but all of the suggestions that you guys have here are good stuff.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »

Bomberman was another great one.

SMS set complete!
GrayGhost81
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 07:25:04 AM »

I'm happy that Cookie & Cream got a mention.

I don't think y'all brought up the hook of that game is that you can play it with two people using one controller. I really enjoyed playing this one with Mrs. Grayghost but after the first level, the game gets too difficult. If it was easier, I could rank it as a GOAT.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »

What?!?  In Bionic Commando you can shoot 45 degrees just by hitting the A button with no movement?!?!? speechless  That game was hard.  That would have made the game so much easier.  I beat the game but I always held the d-pad on an angle to shoot diagonally.

SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »

What's this party game you guys played the eve of the Retro Gaming Expo?  It piques my interest...  I may see about getting the app and playing with you fellows from WI. Smiley

SMS set complete!
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 09:05:50 AM »

What's this party game you guys played the eve of the Retro Gaming Expo?  It piques my interest...  I may see about getting the app and playing with you fellows from WI. Smiley

It's called The Jackbox Party Pack. We also played Quiplash, which I think you will have to download separately.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »

What?!?  In Bionic Commando you can shoot 45 degrees just by hitting the A button with no movement?!?!? speechless  That game was hard.  That would have made the game so much easier.  I beat the game but I always held the d-pad on an angle to shoot diagonally.

This was a huge revelation for me.  I had always tried to aim the dpad diagonally.  Not necessary, and the game is WAY easier to control knowing that little tip.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 01:33:08 PM »

This was a huge revelation for me.  I had always tried to aim the dpad diagonally.  Not necessary, and the game is WAY easier to control knowing that little tip.

I have to find my copy and see how much easier this is now.  This would be a great play through for the RF Generation "friends" to play through.

Another game I thought of, while it doesn't have a co-op feature in the game, are the Lolo games.  Technically, you can co-op with one player (I guess).  My mom and I would sit together and try to figure out what to do on each level.

SMS set complete!
Crabmaster2000
RFG Moderator
Canada

Stats
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 03:53:30 PM »

I love playing Lolo type games with a friend. So much fun trying to solve puzzles together and razing the other for some hair brained idea that obviously won't work.........and then it does OMG how was I supposed to figure that out screw this game!!!!!

Tricky Kick is a Lolo style one that a buddy and I sunk a lot of time into. Very fun Smiley

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2015, 11:23:52 PM »

Quote from: shaggy
4 player game for me was Goldeneye...if I can count that.

You can't count that. Unless you think the point of the game is to see how many bullets you can collect with your characters body, as a team.

Seriously Bil? The C64? That's your pick.....doesn't that 'console' have like 8000 games for it? I'm sure there are dozens of games you would find super awesome on there. Can't you come up with something else? like the Game.Com or the CD-i?

A friend and I are always on the hunt for the perfect co-op game, for us. It's pretty hard since together we want something very specific out of our co-op games. Freelancer comes really close but can be a super big pain to set up nowadays. Halo is fun with a friend but that's pretty mainstream. Orion Prelude is a first-person dinosaur-shooting-game we play a lot, there are so many different modes to the game but it allows for some great FPS co-op. Urban Terror is a fun and free PC game to round out FPS games......Space Engineers is a fun game that may still be early access, it's like Minecraft in space with better graphics. There is another game that is similar I follow on Steam but haven't gotten yet called Life is Feudal, oh, Medieval Engineers, same thing.

I got to thinking about games which aren't co-op but you force co-op on them. Games you've played with someone where you each played and integral part of a single player game. I have fond memories as a kid playing Metroid with my dad and siblings, we would guide my dad using maps from that big black Nintendo players guide. A friend and I spend most of a summer going through The Legend of Zelda were one of us would draw maps and take notes while the other played. When Star Wars Jedi Knight came out, I played it like a straight 1st person shooter while a friend ran all the Force power stuff on the other side of the keyboard, we kicked butt online, got accused of cheating all the time. I've played Ascendancy, a 4x space game, with a friend were we would talk out each decision before taking a turn. Recently played the Intellivision game AD&D: The Treasure of Tarmin with someone drawing maps while I worked the controls.

What games have you played like that? Where you and friends played a single player game together and one of you did the controlling and one of you was in charge of some other aspect of the game?
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 01:40:48 AM »

That is just the worst!! I don't envy your childhood Chris

If this is the part where you go into how awesome Pokemon is, um, no.

I would rather play that Thief game, than any Pokemon game. Sooooo, with the other hosts on Pokemon. I think a certain age gap, affects ones interest in Pokemon.

Also, we have a secret up here in the frozen northern wastes of Canada. Those who shun downloads (like Crabby and myself) are rewarded with rare physical prizes, like Turbo Duo's, and second copies of Stadium Events. I will gladly trade downloads for that mysterious privilege. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 02:28:36 AM by EngineerMike » Logged

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length