RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:03:47 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Remember When... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Remember When...  (Read 125376 times)
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2019, 03:01:23 AM »

I recalled yet another amazing bit of 1980s nostalgia when I heard this used in Good Bad Flicks's YouTube review of Krull:

A part of me is bummed that they never teased out this jingle into a full song; it woulda made the Billboard Top 10 for sure.

Of course, Krull is a bit of 1980s nostalgia in its own right, featuring the coolest melee weapon this side of a lightsaber:

Oh, and here's the Good Bad Flicks YouTube review (the absolutely awesome Nestle commercial reference starts at 5:12):

And speaking of lightsabers, I just can't get enough of these two musical numbers from the Bad Lip Reading edition of The Empire Strikes Back:

The 1980s just won't quit, lemme tell ya...

...'Late
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »

Oh man, I totally forgot about that Nestle commercial!!  Remember the big "Where's the beef" run that Wendy's had??

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2019, 02:16:11 PM »

I honestly don't recall the Wendy's "Where's the Beef" commercials too clearly. Either my area's TV stations didn't have much interest in running the ads, or I was watching shows where the spots didn't play all that much.

That having been said, does anybody here remember the Army Ants toys Hasbro put out around 1987ish? I managed to collect them all... which wasn't hard to do, as they made only one series of 40 figurines.

This short-lived toy line would be overshadowed by the slightly-more-memorable Food Fighters, featuring one of my all-time fave goofy cartoon names, Dave Grohl Mean Weener!

There goes my hero, watch him as he goes... down the ol' gullet.

BTW when I went searching for pics of Mean Weener-- heh, Mean Weener-- I came across pics from an eating establishment called the Mean Wiener:

Methinks I just found my next vacation destination. It's located in a place called Highwood Park in Illinois, halfway between Chicago and the Wisconsin state line, right off of Lake Michigan. I wonder if ol' Norv would be willing to travel a bit for a meet-up there some time...

...'Late
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »

Methinks I just found my next vacation destination. It's located in a place called Highwood Park in Illinois, halfway between Chicago and the Wisconsin state line, right off of Lake Michigan. I wonder if ol' Norv would be willing to travel a bit for a meet-up there some time...

...'Late

That just may work.  Give me some leeway time and I may be able to make it work.

Here's a "where's the beef?" commerical

I totally forgot about, and now remember, both the Army Ants and the Food Fighters.  I never bought any but I remember them.

Anybody remember these?

SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2019, 02:29:42 AM »

Hey, you know what? I remember Army Ants and Food Fighters, but I'd completely forgotten Barnyard Commandos!

ANYway, I went back to YouTube and found another Nestle "sweet dreams" spot:

...'Late

And then I discovered that Faith No More performed a cover of the freakin' thing:

BTW my search for more '80s commercials led to my discovery of this little gem, featuring "man-sized wads" Shocked :

And in case you're curious, here are a couple network TV featurettes about how BLC came into existence, and how it's manufactured:

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #140 on: August 05, 2019, 03:39:42 PM »

I remember them Barnyard animal thingies.  And Big League Chew!

SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2019, 09:36:29 PM »

Buckle up, ya whippersnappers, 'cuz we're headed back to the 1980s yet again!

I'd almost forgotten about this show, but thanks to YouTube's recommendations, I've rediscovered yet another childhood fave: Fight Back!, hosted by consumer journalist David Horowitz, who was part of the KNBC 4 news team down in L.A. throughout the 80s and early 90s. Sadly, he passed earlier this year at the age of 81.  Cry

My fave segments were his commercial challenges, which tested the credibility of the claims made in TV spots for such products as Palmolive liquid detergent...

...Spic-&-Span's no-scratch guarantee...

...Orville Redenbacher popcorn...

...the "two scoops" claim by Kellogg's Raisin Bran...

...and the iconic Krazy Glue "hardhat glued to an I-beam" stunt:

There's plenty more Fight Back! video segments that can be viewed on the show's official YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c...GnhmA0wXa1WERgZGaA/videos

Ironically, with at least three video reviews each for just about every product ever made, YouTube has made TV consumer-advocacy shows like Fight Back! all but obsolete.

But probably the most interesting thing Mr. Horowitz was involved in had to be in 1987, when a crazed gunman barged into the KNBC studio during a news broadcast, and "requested"  Horowitz to read his written statement on the air. Horowitz' calm and collected demeanor during the incident was downright unreal.

So... anybody else remember Fight Back! with David Horowitz?
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2019, 03:54:26 PM »

I remember Food Fight!

SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2019, 01:23:50 AM »

Ever since I picked up the BanDai Soul of Chogokin release, I've been geezin' on Voltron. And when I say "Voltron," I mean the REAL DEAL, and not that pathetic pentagon of leonine losers:

Even better, Bandai Spirits' YouTube channel now has all the episodes of Armored Fleet Dairugger XV-- the show that was eventually adapted into the Vehicle Force series-- available to watch for free:

Check it out if you're curious...
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2020, 11:40:47 PM »

I remember when I had all the Voltron toys from the mid 80's.  There was a recall on them because they had lead paint so my mom left the choice up to me to return them for the money or keep them.  Man, I wish I didn't return them.

SMS set complete!
Zagnorch
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2020, 01:05:49 AM »

Remember when we didn't have to worry about global pandemics?
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2020, 09:01:54 AM »

It seems like it was only a month ago.

SMS set complete!
MetalFRO
Blog Writer
United States
Awards: 2014 RFGen Top Shmuper

WWW Stats
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »

Too soon, man. Too soon.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2020, 01:46:11 PM »

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2020, 06:10:23 PM »

Man, I love to think back to the good ol' days of circa February 2020 A.D. Life was so simple. Those were the days...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length