RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:37:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | January 2016 Community Playthrough - Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: January 2016 Community Playthrough - Super Mario Bros. 3/Super Mario World  (Read 31584 times)
wattswc
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »

Loving that guide, brings back a lot of memories! Myself, I had some difficulty in the last zone. I kept running out of lives and having to continue, and when it warped me back to the beginning of the stage, I'd get sucked into the hand gauntlet again, ugh. You'd think after beating such tough games lately like Bucky O'Hare and Splatterhouse 2 I'd walk through this, but my muscle memory is failing me. I'll polish it off tonight hopefully and get cracking on SWM
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2016, 08:54:38 AM »

Very cool info nupoile.  It's great to hear from someone with a very rich and loving history of a game. Cheesy

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »

I decided to record my run of SMB3.  I'm not an expert, so it's not the prettiest run out there.  I take quite a few deaths here and there, but I still had fun recording this.  I hope you guys enjoy it.

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2016, 09:19:40 AM »

Very cool Steven!

Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »

I decided to record my run of SMB3.  I'm not an expert

You had 51 lives at the end of world 7. You good, man  Wink
Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2016, 04:12:07 AM »

Got to world 6 tonight and things slowed WAY down for me. Two hours of play tonight, and an hour of it was in world 6. Things I noticed though were that the mechanics of this game threw me off...It has been about 20 years since I last played this one. The dash mechanics, inability to grab shells and carry them with me, and short invincibility time after being struck all took some serious adjusting after being used to the newer Mario titles.

It is strange that I am going through it as quickly as I am; I really need to calm down though and be more patient with the second half of the game so I stop dying so frequently. 6-5 was an awesome stage, and I actually like that I ran out of time before I found the exit the first time playing it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 03:02:41 AM by Boshamp » Logged

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »

Speaking of rushing, does anyone play with the turbo button down the entire time? I don't know when I started doing this, but I do it with every Mario game.

Pam
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2016, 12:29:23 PM »

Just started SMB3 this morning. Only got halfway through world 2 before Will dragged me out to go game hunting.

I've yet to lose a life, which is much better than last time I played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 12:37:33 PM »

I hold the turbo button down all the time. If I get to a rare spot that I'm not doing that and at 'normal' speed, it actually throws off my jumps and timing a little bit.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »

Speaking of rushing, does anyone play with the turbo button down the entire time? I don't know when I started doing this, but I do it with every Mario game.

Same here.

inability to grab shells and carry them with me

FYI, you can grab shells and carry them with you in SMB3.  You just can't kick them straight up into the air like you can in SMW.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2016, 02:48:50 PM »

I hold the turbo button down all the time. If I get to a rare spot that I'm not doing that and at 'normal' speed, it actually throws off my jumps and timing a little bit.

Just keep bouncing the d-pad from left to right in mid air, because you never let off the run button.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2016, 03:17:57 PM »

I definitely hold the run button down in all Mario games as well!

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »

FYI, you can grab shells and carry them with you in SMB3.  You just can't kick them straight up into the air like you can in SMW.

See, that is what I thought as well because it lets me when I play stages in Super Mario Maker that were made with the SMB3 buildset, but it won't let me when I play SMB3 on the Wii through Super Mario All-Stars. I can pick up the blue-flashy blocks and carry them, though.

Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2016, 11:01:07 PM »

See, that is what I thought as well because it lets me when I play stages in Super Mario Maker that were made with the SMB3 buildset, but it won't let me when I play SMB3 on the Wii through Super Mario All-Stars. I can pick up the blue-flashy blocks and carry them, though.

Hmmm, that's weird.  I know for a fact that you can do it on the original NES and SNES versions.  I don't know why it would be any different on the Wii, but I don't have that version and can't test it myself Huh

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2016, 02:23:34 AM »

I went back and played some more and it was still doing it, but then I missed my first attempt at grabbing a shell and when I ran into it as opposed to landing on it a second time while holding the dash button, it worked. I am clearly just seriously used to grabbing it while falling on it instead of picking them up on the run. I never do it that way.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length