RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:11:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Community Playthroughs (Moderators: techwizard, singlebanana, wildbil52, GrayGhost81, Disposed Hero, MetalFRO) | March Community Playthrough - Life is Strange 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: March Community Playthrough - Life is Strange  (Read 50346 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »

Slow clap for Pam. My thoughts exactly. I'd just rather be responsible for my choices consequences be damned. Smiley

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 02:14:34 PM »

Couldn't find a better video for it, but this was my initial thought on the rewind functionality:
http://www.dailymotion.co...your-own-adven_shortfilms

EDIT: Holy crap, we can embed dailymotion videos.

BuriedOnMars
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:43 PM »

First, let me say that these kinds of games are usually a hard sell for me.  I like the Walking Dead series.  Heavy Rain, Gone Home, Dear Ester… not so much.  I personally feel if your game is going to rely heavily on story, then make it a good one!

I'm still at a very early part in the game as I just walked outside after the pulling fire alarm.  I like Max and how she wanted to help the girl in the bathroom.  So that will go a long way to help me like this game.  I also like Holden Caulfield, so last name be damned.

As for the rewind, I see that people are not caring for it but I found it pretty cool so far.  For instance, I liked how the principle was a little hard to read with both options and there doesn't seem to be a clear right or wrong choice.  The “power to rewind” only gives what happens to the end of the conversation, not what the consequences are.  So I didn’t feel like I was being second guessed, but merely given both options.  So I still felt like I was standing at a fork in the road.  But maybe I’ll get to where you guys are after playing it more.

Check out my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/buriedonmars
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 01:17:26 AM »

I might be the only one who's hooked just from the first chapter. I really like the art style which makes everything look almost like paintings... fitting since Max is the artistic type.

The rewind mechanic is an intriguing addition to the game. It reminds me of how people second guess their choices and in this game many immediate reactions tend not to work out in Max's favour like when she has the option to be nice to people. But those are only the short term results of player choices and having only played the first episode I have no idea how they'll impact later plot points.

This game kind of straddles the line of being a role playing game and a point-and-click game. If you put yourself into Max's shoes you might miss things (which happened to me) but if you scour every environment you're being nosy which is very unlike Max (which Shawn pointed out). I'm curious to see how this pans out later.

I don't know why, but the theme of the social misfit appeals to me and now all I can think of is Subdivisions by Rush. "Conform or be cast out."

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Untrod Tripod
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »

Should have been called Meaningful Pep Talk: The Game

Co-host of the podcast Drunk Dice.
Disposed Hero
RFG Moderator
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »

I finished the game a few days ago.  Despite going off the rails a bit at the end, I enjoyed this game immensely.  Really looking forward to discussing it on the podcast.

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 09:00:13 AM »

OK, late but I'm here.  I'm in the middle of Episode I right now.  I'll provide some thoughts at the end of each episode.  I only see one checkpoint on the OP, what are we allowed to talk about/spoil and what are we not allowed to talk about?

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »

I would say we should be vague about the current checkpoint, and once we pass it, all bets are off for that chapter.

Meaning, wait until week two to really let loose spoiling Chapter 1, to ensure everyone has completed it.

It's Floyd's call ultimately. What say you Floyd?

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 10:35:11 AM »

Go ahead. I was going to post up the week two checkpoint today anyway.

Seeing as many of us have played ahead let's just use those SPOILER tags liberally.

Spoil away!!!

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 08:37:56 PM »

@Floyd: Good call and good guide in the OP. Use those spoiler tags people!

Untrod Tripod
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 10:22:26 PM »

I finished the game yesterday, so I'll wait a bit to comment until people are further.

Co-host of the podcast Drunk Dice.
douglie007
Sega Dreamcast
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »

is anyone playing the game as a jerk? I have played it through as a good as I could, but I'm thinking of going through again with the bad options. also... Smiley add me to the playing list Smiley
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 02:32:18 PM by douglie007 » Logged

wildbil52
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 08:52:40 AM »

I'm halfway through Chapter 2, here are my thoughts on Chapter 1

I hope I'm not being too harsh here but I'm really having a hard time staying interested.  I really enjoyed the Telltale Walking Dead game and I thought this would kind of be like that.  The rewind mechanism makes the game LESS fun for me.  I'll use Heavy Rain as a comparison. Heavy Rain is story based and your actions have consequences but the story plays out in a much more real and subdued way.  The point wasn't to reset your game and replay a section if you messed up, the point was to live with the consequences.  Being able to go back and change things isn't really fun or interesting to me.  Also, the "This action will have consequences" message after watering a plant was obnoxious.

The game is beautiful.  The lapis of the sky, the sun shafts, the Oregon vistas are all stunning.  Now for more bad stuff. I know its a matter of personal taste but I cannot stand the indie soundtrack.  "You can call me on the telephone" :barf: .  I also cannot stand the personality of one. single.  character.  I know Victoria is supposed to be the "bitch" but it's not just her.  Every single person in this game comes across as entitled, self important, over emotional, over reactive, and all around not pleasant to be around except for the nice teacher asking you to sign a petition.  Chloe is supposed to be Max' best friend but makes bitchy remarks every single time you talk.  Talks about how everyone in her life left her every single time you talk, the "I don't care about the world, I'm just gonna blaze" every single time you talk.  No one wants to be around that person.

Also, the vocabulary/vernacular/slang of this cast is unbearable.  I can't tell if having everyone say "amazeballs" and "hella" was done in an effort to show how these kids talk or if it was done to poke fun at the way people used to talk but it's awful.  Speaking of the cast, I feel like most of them may have been hospitalized after their recording sessions due to an overdose of melodrama.  

I could go on but I don't want to poo poo on it forever.  Maybe in future episodes there will be a payoff but so far, I'm not seeing it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:20:57 PM by wildbil52 » Logged

GrayGhost81
RFG Moderator
United States

Stats
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »

Damn Bil, tell us how you really feel!

I'm not as negative on it, but your criticisms of the characters and script are hard to refute. Every time Max says "wowzer" I die a little inside.

And bingo on the soundtrack. It's a bore. I absolutely hate this genre. Boring white guy acoustic folk garbage. Snore-core. Bore-core. Great only if you're having trouble falling asleep. I didn't hear the Sparklehorse song Rich mentioned. I do like that guy, may he rest in peace, but half of his songs rocked.

Having said all that, I don't know why, I'm still enjoying the game a lot (halfway through chapter 3 now).

singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »

I think we are okay to talk about Chapter 1 freely right now Bil. I completely agree with your thoughts on the rewind mechanism in its application to consequences. I'm not sure "trying out" different consequences and having the ability to rewind is my cup of tea. I'd rather deal with consequences and play through the game again if I so choose if there is the possibility of a different outcome. I think that creating this type of atmosphere makes players look for walkthroughs just so that they can get the "best" ending possible. That's just not my style, but I get how this could appeal to others.  I've played "Wolf Among Us" and a portion of "The Walking Dead," and I agree, I by far prefer that style of consequential gameplay.

I'm not so down on the music and think it's pretty good. Some of the tunes are familiar to me and as a fan of indie music, I can appreciate their song choices and love the way they implement them into the game. I thought the hallway scene was pretty cool and it seemed kind of like opening credits for a movie, which I thought was a nice touch.  The slang doesn't bother me so much, since yeah, like it or not, this is pretty much the way kids this age talk. Overdone?  Well, maybe a little, but not too far off point from what I have experienced.  There is a bit of nastiness and entitlement in the game, but I think that has a lot to do with establishing the setting. Sure, not all private art schools are like this, but entitlement is certainly an issue at many places like this and I think it should end up furthering the plot. Like you said, we shall see.  

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length